Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

What has happened to the people in-charged of the theater's security? It's obviously a big lapse on their part.

There were cops at the theaters. Numerous moviegoers noted cops hanging around when they walked into the theaters for the show.

And when cops did go to the actual screen....they refused to go in when he was firing, but instead stood outside.

So, for the love of God and all that is Holy....please let's not have the effete cries for, "MORE COPS AND ENHANCED SECURITY MEASURES!!!"

• Like 1

What has happened to the people in-charged of the theater's security? It's obviously a big lapse on their part.

While discouraging to say, there is nothing they can do in this situation. If anyone has the inclination, smuggling firearms into a theater is no harder than buying popcorn. Edited by nAlkaline
  • Like 1

Uh-oh. 75m would be meltdown territory. If that's true I think the shootings definitely affected today's results.

The Saturday number will be ugly.

What theatre security? Honestly, I've never been to a theatre in the US but all the ones I've been to in Australia/UK/France/Italy/etc have had no security at all. A small confined space with a huge crowd of relaxed people and not many accessible exits, It's the perfect opportunity for a cowardly sociopath to execute a plan like this. I've been paranoid about this kind of thing ever since that hostage incident in Russia in 2002, I've always thought it was only a matter of time before something like this happened in America. Edited by candycane

There was a 80-90M estimate from THR.

That's not an estimate as much as a complete guess. A variability of over 10% is a bit ridiculous.Having said that, it does seem that the shooting is having some sort of effect TODAY. I think as soon as the media coverage dies down (which shouldn't take long), things will quickly go back to normal. We really do live in an irrational society.

That's not an estimate as much as a complete guess. A variability of over 10% is a bit ridiculous.Having said that, it does seem that the shooting is having some sort of effect TODAY. I think as soon as the media coverage dies down (which shouldn't take long), things will quickly go back to normal. We really do live in an irrational society.

The coverage is probably gonna last for a couple weeks. When the Westroads shooting happened in Omaha 4-5 years ago, it took quite some time for it settle down.

I don't really mind his antics that often but I'm really glad BKB isn't here tonight. He will make this all about TDKR failing to exceed Avengers despite higher midnights and blah blah blah and tonight is not the night for that. I don't give a shit if this outopens Avengers today or not (from the looks of it, it won't). And I say this as the gopher who has followed box office all of his life and anticipated TDKR more than any other movie in film history.

There's a great line in Margaret (a film you guys should all see, especially this weekend) that goes- "You have the right to falsify your own life, but you have no right to falsify anyone else's. It's what turns people into Nazis." I can't bring myself to use this shooting as a means of determining TDKR's success. Just as I couldn't point to Ledger's death and say that's what drove TDK's success, because that feels icky and rightfully so. Responding to this event shouldn't be as trivial as discussing the impact on its box office.

• Like 4

While I agree that the film will indeed have good WOM, the midnight/early morning crowd presents self-selecting bias. People going to see this movie on opening day are more likely that the average audience to be the most ardent Batman/Nolan fans, so excellent WOM is to be expected. The WOM of the more casual crowd is what will propel this movie to greater (or not) heights in terms of BO performance.

This is dead on. Midnight show attendees are always going to be predisposed to liking a film.And I believe I heard that a movie theater was shot up in the Frank Miller Batman series from the 80's. Not sure if that is correct but it could be what the shooter was attempting to mimic.

I don't really mind his antics that often but I'm really glad BKB isn't here tonight. He will make this all about TDKR failing to exceed Avengers despite higher midnights and blah blah blah and tonight is not the night for that. I don't give a shit if this outopens Avengers today or not (from the looks of it, it won't). And I say this as the gopher who has followed box office all of his life and anticipated TDKR more than any other movie in film history.

There's a great line in Margaret (a film you guys should all see, especially this weekend) that goes- "You have the right to falsify your own life, but you have no right to falsify anyone else's. It's what turns people into Nazis." I can't bring myself to use this shooting as a means of determining TDKR's success. Just as I couldn't point to Ledger's death and say that's what drove TDK's success, because that feels icky and rightfully so. Responding to this event shouldn't be as trivial as discussing the impact on its box office.

but the shooting happened today and is connected to the movie. So I don't see what is wrong
  • Like 1

What theatre security? Honestly, I've never been to a theatre in the US but all the ones I've been to in Australia/UK/France/Italy/etc have had no security at all. A small confined space with a huge crowd of relaxed people and not many accessible exits, It's the perfect opportunity for a cowardly sociopath to execute a plan like this. I've been paranoid about this kind of thing ever since that hostage incident in Russia in 2002, I've always thought it was only a matter of time before something like this happened in America.

Unlikely to happen since there are no guns in Australia.

What theatre security? Honestly, I've never been to a theatre in the US but all the ones I've been to in Australia/UK/France/Italy/etc have had no security at all. A small confined space with a huge crowd of relaxed people and not many accessible exits, It's the perfect opportunity for a cowardly sociopath to execute a plan like this. I've been paranoid about this kind of thing ever since that hostage incident in Russia in 2002, I've always thought it was only a matter of time before something like this happened in America.

You're always paranoid of such a situation? That's a bit absurd. The same could happen in a mall, restaurant, gym, or any other of hundreds of locations. Short of hiring millions of security personnel or a great constraint of personal freedom, there is not much that can be done. We should be looking at the unstable mental state of the shooter rather than the security of the theater.

The coverage is probably gonna last for a couple weeks. When the Westroads shooting happened in Omaha 4-5 years ago, it took quite some time for it settle down.

Yes, but it will be sporadic very shortly. Slowly starting tomorrow, things will start going back to normal and the CNNs, Fox News, and MSNBCs of the world won't be talking about this all the time. It will certainly continue to receive coverage but not on the airway-blanketing level you are seeing today. Out of sight, out of mind is the phrase that comes to mind.

Unlikely to happen since there are no guns in Australia.

I'm not talking about Australia, I very explicitly said I was waiting for it to happen in America.

You're always paranoid of such a situation? That's a bit absurd. The same could happen in a mall, restaurant, gym, or any other of hundreds of locations. Short of hiring millions of security personnel or a great constraint of personal freedom, there is not much that can be done. We should be looking at the unstable mental state of the shooter rather than the security of the theater.

I'm not sure what exactly you've taken from my post or how, but that's not what I was saying at all. I'm not arguing for more theatre security, I'm pointing out that such a thing does not exist. And I'm sorry but you are wrong, there is one thing that can be done, and one conversation the US NEEDS to have, and that's a conversation about gun control.