Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

So the mentality is that if you go to TDKR you will die but if you go to any other movie than you should be fine?

The police fears copycats and AMC has forbidden masks and so on. Heck even for the German premiere they announced additional security and so on.

I think the shootings had a bit of an effect. There are segments of the US population that will believe everything the news media says, and there are people in the media blaming the movie for the shooting. Inevitably there are probably people out there that changed their mind on seeing TDKR. Heck, there are probably people planning to boycott the movie and try to dissuade others from seeing it now.However, I think the shooting will have little to no effect on actual Batman/Nolan fans. Those who are fans of BB and TDK will not be staying away from TDKR just because of the shooting. I think those who are saying that a $170m-$180m opening weekend would be disappointing had too high of expectations in the first place. I wish people would stop looking at record breakers like Avatar, and The Avengers and think every big movie is going to do that now.FYI: The Dark Knights OW adjusts to $174.7m, and I think anything over that would be excellent.

• Like 2

Why aren't any other movies being affected by the shooting? They are all in line with predictions. Aren't people supposed to be afraid to go to the movies?

The movie happened during a showing of TDKR, every report is Batman killings, Batman shooting, etc, etc. Anyone who thinks of TDKR immediately thinks of the shootings and murders, etc. The movie is dark to begin with, couple that with the depressed, sad feeling casual movie goers have when thinking about the tragedy and seeing TDKR is something they are not going to do this weekend. Hell, even huge movie fans like us and this forum are down and gloomy and the excitement is gone and enthusiasm is gone, etc. So obviously if the effects are felt here, they're felt everywhere and it's hurting the box office of TDKR in a huge way. The midnight number will be the only number we'll ever have to know what could have been. Oh, and other movies also have much less impact shown because you're dealing with much less dollars, tickets and variance.
  • Like 4

Well, then I must be a cold hearted bastard because it never crossed my mind not to go and once the movie started, the shooting never entered my mind once.

Everyone deals with tragedy in their own way. Some simply can't help but think about it.

Well, then I must be a cold hearted bastard because it never crossed my mind not to go and once the movie started, the shooting never entered my mind once.

Death affects things in weird, unexplainable ways. When musicians die, their sales skyrocket. When actors die, more people are interested in their last performance. It's undeniable that people react to tragedies in different ways.

The very start of the film was chilling for me. I can only imagine how they must have felt watching it and being very excited, only to be so shockingly pulled out of it. But only at the start. I will admit those feelings went away pretty quickly and I was just enjoying the film.

I think the shootings had a bit of an effect. There are segments of the US population that will believe everything the news media says, and there are people in the media blaming the movie for the shooting. Inevitably there are probably people out there that changed their mind on seeing TDKR. Heck, there are probably people planning to boycott the movie and try to dissuade others from seeing it now.However, I think the shooting will have little to no effect on actual Batman/Nolan fans. Those who are fans of BB and TDK will not be staying away from TDKR just because of the shooting. I think those who are saying that a $170m-$180m opening weekend would be disappointing had too high of expectations in the first place. I wish people would stop looking at record breakers like Avatar, and The Avengers and think every big movie is going to do that now.

Post of the day. Nicely said.

"We were expecting great walk-ups. The early report suggested that the OD record was in play. Clearly the shooting killed off the evening business apart from pre-sales."Business looked huge and then walk ups fail to materialize