Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

To be fair air travel was down for about a year after 9/11. It's a similar effect here.

Yeah ok good point. And I don't mean to be disrespectfull to,the dead. It is terrible and the scene that I think it happened in (the stock.exchanhe right) I glanced to the exit door. But im just mad that people are not watching this amazing movie.All I can hope is eventually everyone will go see it and it's legs will be stellar.

MOVIE MIDNIGHTS Friday Saturday Totals

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 1195 2080 2184 5459
+/-     -0.33  
THE AVENGERS 731 2351 3006 6088
+/-     -0.02  
THE HUNGER GAMES 1201 1984 2928 6113
+/-     -0.08
  • Like 1

Mostly flat minus Midnights. I think this was about as good as could have been expected really.

Yeah, if you compare that way, the number isn't that surprising, since Friday showings were already suffering because of the tragedy, but a 40% Fri-Sat drop is bigger than most people expected.

It is just sad and ironic that a film, a good source of entertainment, has been the inspiration of one man to massacre innocent lives. Keep your relatives and friends close to you. Isolation greatly affects behavior.

MOVIE MIDNIGHTS Friday Saturday Totals THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 1195 2080 2184 5459 +/- -0.33 THE AVENGERS 731 2351 3006 6088 +/- -0.02 THE HUNGER GAMES 1201 1984 2928 6113 +/- -0.08

Ouch! THG outselling TDKR on Sat.

This sucks. This whole situation just killed the mood for everything. From the excitement of BO numbers, to talking about the film itself, that and the fact that the situation is a tragedy in itself and that something so fun as going to the theaters has, for the moment, been ruined. Oh well... :/ I can't say or do anything except that TDKR was an epic conclusion to an epic trilogy and it TRULY is a symbol of hope and heroism at a time like this.

• Like 3

don't count the movies legs out ya'll. Had 4 people respond to me today about the movie; one didn't like it, 3 raved about it. There's a SLIGHT mixed reaction i feel, but i think legs will be better than most people think. Such a shame; there was DEFINITELY an impact from the shooting, absolutely no doubt about it. Next week will determine how much it can "recover"

Edited by jaybox

It is just sad and ironic that a film, a good source of entertainment, has been the inspiration of one man to massacre innocent lives. Keep your relatives and friends close to you. Isolation greatly affects behavior.

I don't think the movie inspired this man. He was already a lunatic. He just used it as an excuse.

Yeah ok good point. And I don't mean to be disrespectfull to,the dead. It is terrible and the scene that I think it happened in (the stock.exchanhe right) I glanced to the exit door. But im just mad that people are not watching this amazing movie.

If it helps, I don't think that was the scene.

Just got home from the movie. Was excellent IMO. My wife thought it was better than TDK. I am leaning that way as well, but will need to see it one more time.Anyway, crowd was...blah. Half empty theater, Sat night. Just really sucks. What might have been.This is not the same genre as TA, and I hate that people compare the two. Saw the $46m number for today. All things considered that's pretty good.

OK, the shooting had a huge effect.Many may argue that it had little effect and TDKR having no Joker or Heath Ledger's death is the main cause. However, TDKR is the sequel to TDK, which should make up for that. Plus, TDKR is showing in more IMAX screens, which should have given it a 10M lead over TDK during OW.I have been tracking the tracking of TDKR for a few months. At boxofficebuzz.tumblr.com it was in the mid to high 180s for few months, and went up to 195M just before release, indicating a OW of over 190M with 200M very possible. MTC and RS were showing 185M or so. If it opens to "only" 163M or so, the shooting had at least an effect of 20M, possibly as high as 40M.

• Like 3

Holy shit what if wrong with Americans? Get over the tradegy go to the cinema. If people act like this then why do you guys a still travel by air or leave your homes if your so afraid.In Australia at my second showing at the start of the movie someone stood up and yelled lock the exits, the only place that should have been affected was that town to think people on the.other side of the country are scared is laughable

Very few people are concerned with what it does at the box office. They are taking a bit of time to get over the tragedy and their dampened spirits. Seeing the movie during OW is not their top priority, enjoying the movie is.

I really didn't think there would be much of an effect, but talking to many people in line at the IMAX showing I went to, it seems people were indeed worried. The showing was sold out a week beforehand, only for me to arrive there and find it crowded, but around 30-40 empty seats, which means people got refunds after hearing what happened. Pretty insane that THAT many people make such decisions out of fear, but I suppose it's understandeable. Not exactly rational, but understandeable. It's not rational because if you really think about, a copycat isn't going to occur right after the most recent one, it's going to occur at least a week later (more like many months) if it happens at all. In history a copycat crime has never been committed shortly after the original.Anyways, great movie, not as good as TDK, and it's too bad the box office is going to take a hit from this. It's possible the effect will last long after this weekend. Either way, may the killer rot in prison or suffer the death penalty (and I'm usually against the death penalty). There's no insanity plea here, and if he tries it the judge and jury will laugh in his face. This was calculated, planned far in advance, and he will likely get life in prison due to (I think) no death penalty in Colorado.

Edited by tonytr87