Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Honestly I would have been surprised if families were on the fence about TDKR before the shootings. Not much in this movie that is colorful or family-friendly, especially compared to Avengers. But Aurora means no families will show up.

People that don't believe the shooting had a big effect are just trolling at this point.As Baumer said, there may be another reasons, but the shooting had a big effect. There is no denial.

It had an effect. How big is pure speculation.

Here's my semi rant:This tragedy has affected the opening weekend numbers, I believe that and have never denied it. The thing I don't buy into is that it is the only reason for the "soft numbers". This event is disgusting, despicable and horrific. Yes, it is is keeping people home.But to all of you saying that it is the only reason, is that really fair? There are about a dozen or more examples of films that have faltered on their third film. I realize the opening weekend should be where it excels, but the Joker/Heath effect cannot be over looked. Isn't that fair to say?There are numerous factors to this, the shooting is definitely one, but not the only one.

Good post. The shooting had an effect but there could also be other factors as well. For example, no joker, avoiding crowded theaters, or maybe even WOM. Not sure what the WOM on this movie is at the moment.

Here's my semi rant:This tragedy has affected the opening weekend numbers, I believe that and have never denied it. The thing I don't buy into is that it is the only reason for the "soft numbers". This event is disgusting, despicable and horrific. Yes, it is is keeping people home.But to all of you saying that it is the only reason, is that really fair? There are about a dozen or more examples of films that have faltered on their third film. I realize the opening weekend should be where it excels, but the Joker/Heath effect cannot be over looked. Isn't that fair to say?There are numerous factors to this, the shooting is definitely one, but not the only one.

Agreed.Well it s funny you said that because earlier today, your posts told a different story.

That is for today, not yesterday.

That is just trolling. Shootings have a big if not huge effect on the BO. Period, end of story, anyone who says it has had no effect at all is ether in denial or plain stupid. Edited by riczhang
  • Like 3

I am about to catch 745pm show and this theater is NOT Full. This is unbelieveable for this type of magnitude of a movie on an opening weekend first Saturday in which opened on Friday.

Agreed. I feel slightly different from you though. I think the tragedy is having a bigger impact than what you seem to feel, but I think it's pretty apparent that this would have struggled to 180 - 185ish without the tragedy. It's obvious the 200 m ow was never in play.

And I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. We are all entitled to our opinions. I could be wrong, maybe it is having a bigger effect than I think it is. But I do believe unequivocally that the film was massively over predicted because of TA's success. And I will stand by that no matter what.

so I'll say again, Dark Knight Rises was going to perform like a Twilight movie from the very beginning?

If by that you mean it was going to fall off more than the average film does after its midnight, yes. It is the finale of a big film franchise, so the frontloading becomes a bit more front-heavy

Oh really? This movie might not even reach 160m. That's how much it was always going to make? Bullshit!The fact is, even on opening day alone this movie was doing weak. It only made 46m outside of the midnights. That is just not good, no matter how you spin it

It will fly by 160, and how exactly is 46M outside of the midnight numbers not good? Seriously, I want to know how that is not good. That's a fantastic number. Fanboys were just so bent on this beating The Avengers, or getting 100M OD that anything below is disappointing. Which is sad, because it was never going to do that.

I could definitely see it being a strange/underwhelming film for a lot of people, so maybe my revised floor would have been 175M (5% less tickets than TDK). But that's something we'll never know so it's not worth dwelling on.

I would say that it was effected $5M, tops.

I would give it about 10M at the most. I thought 175M or so was the target, and anything over that would have been tremendous. Of course, I also thought that TDK's OW was a bit inflated from a few factors, so this explains my dampened enthusiasm in comparison to some of the 200M OW predictions. It's unfortunate from a purely quantitative perspective that we'll never know now.

It will fly by 160, and how exactly is 46M outside of the midnight numbers not good? Seriously, I want to know how that is not good. That's a fantastic number. Fanboys were just so bent on this beating The Avengers, or getting 100M OD that anything below is disappointing. Which is sad, because it was never going to do that.

have you not been following any of this thread at all? It is not just opening day (which was weak to begin with)