Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

True. But if Friday ends up at 80 million, I can see a 2.0 multiplier, so it could very well be under TDK...

let's see what happens.... I am not that much interested in the numbers right now.

I seriously don't understand why people should avoid cinemas in mass. If you're afraid to go to a theatre, because one lunatic's killing spree then you better never ever leave your house. Who's to say that a crazy person won't shoot you in a shopping mall? Or a drunk driver going off the road and hit you. Are you telling me that you can prepare for events like this? No. It can happen anywhere and anytime unfortunately.

People won't avoid theaters because they are scared. It's just because this is fresh in their minds. I sure as hell don't feel like watching the movie later today anymore.

Exact. I'm done. I've paid for three movie tickets next weekend but I'm out.

:rolleyes: Yeah, okay...Are you sure you don't work for Fox News? It's like you can't help it but go to extremes. This is terrible, it'll definitely have big repercussions, but you're advocating holing up and hiding in basements.

I seriously don't understand why people should avoid cinemas in mass. If you're afraid to go to a theatre, because one lunatic's killing spree then you better never ever leave your house. Who's to say that a crazy person won't shoot you in a shopping mall? Or a drunk driver going off the road and hit you. Are you telling me that you can prepare for events like this? No. It can happen anywhere and anytime unfortunately.

It is not about being afraid.... it is about dampening of mood.

Its not just that. People go to the movies to escape reality and to HAVE A GOOD TIME. There's surely a lot of folks who won't be able to enjoy themselves sitting in a movie theater this weekend. You can't have fun and enjoy yourself if the first thing you think of is a massacre when you walk into a theater.

Exactly. Many people will have that on their mind, or if they do go to the theater, they might even pick an alternative to Batman because TDKR might remind them too much of the depressing news.

Columbine was the first massive school shooting ever in the US. It started a massive debate about gun control, bullying, and school safety. It's early to say but I don't think this is going to have the same impact.

It's not early to say, This will have impact. When has there ever been a mass shooting in a movie theater? The news just broke over night, the storm will be all today, trust me, this is going to be major here in the U.S. People don't get shot going to movies, this isn't something that happens. I read that the guy waited 15 minutes into the movie and dropped tear gas in there and started shooting, that's just insane. I am concerned about copycats cause Columbine turned into Virginia Tech. Again this is serious news. I don't want to take away from the movie cause I did enjoy it very much but this was not something I wanted to hear about it after.

Because people know who Batman is. If this shooying happened at Magic Mike or Savages, it would just be reported as a "movie shooting", because most people wouldn't know those movies.Similarly, if this happened at MIB3, the headline would mention "at Will Smith movie", simply because people know who Will Smith is.

That's because you can't connect MI3 with mass murder or anarchy or random killings or whatsover. So the media could hardly construct big stories or milk the theme "movies that motivated crimes" and so on.

It's still the middle of the night. People who stay up that late usually don't watch the news and mainly stick to their group for on-line discussion, so it's harder to get the word out until the morning...

Word out? This is not a film getting released. This is a tragedy. Morning news shows are on.East Coast. I would think 1 person would say they would not do it from the 21 million or so twitter users.

People won't avoid theaters because they are scared. It's just because this is fresh in their minds. I sure as hell don't feel like watching the movie later today anymore.

Exactly. Fear will play a part for families with younger kids, but simply the pervading depressing feeling will affect it even more.

To put it simply, most Westerners are shocked when this happens to their own, but generally don't seem to care when non-white, non-middle-class, non-suburban people suffer violent death.

Like I said, Syria is a far-away place and is in a region that is associated with violence and bloodshed.

Yeah and you're right. But it doesn't feel right to me. I'm not expecting a mass drop out, but fuck everything, my life has more value than seeing these three films. I've already paid for that. I'm not going to be commenting that I'm out, but I am. And enough about this.

To put it simply, most Westerners are shocked when this happens to their own, but generally don't seem to care when non-white, non-middle-class, non-suburban people suffer violent death.

This may be true but it is not the right time for discussing this.

Exact. I'm done. I've paid for three movie tickets next weekend but I'm out. Nothing is worthy of running this kind of risk. We need a change in the security of not only America, but all shopping malls. I expect this to have a precedent on how people can get inside shopping malls and movie theaters from now on.

How old are you? 12. What you're saying doesn't make any sense. How can you prepare for something like this? Should we start banning driving after a car accident? Two weeks ago there was a fatal stabbing in the busiest shopping mall in London. Daytime. Tell me what could a security can do? Cinemas didn't become more dangerous because of this than any public place.