CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

Damage already done. The two are inextricably linked, unfortunately. I think it's ridiculous that WB can't even market their movie through TV advertising even while the media (1) blames their movie for the shooting and (2) puts headlines up with the movie's name linked to the shooting. It's a tidal wave of negative propaganda.

I think propaganda is the wrong word. Propaganda implies they have the intention of bringing the movie down. What they're doing is attaching their story to the popularity of the movie... riding its coattails in order to bring in more viewers/readers to their show/publication.Not any more noble than propaganda... but differently motivated. Edited by MagnetMan

I think propaganda is the wrong word. Propaganda implies they have the intention of bringing the movie down. What they're doing is attaching their story to the popularity of the movie... riding its coattails in order to bring in more viewers.Not any more noble than propaganda... but differently motivated.

Any time they start pointing the finger at the movie, that's propaganda. TDKR isn't any more violent than the Bourne film coming out soon, Spider-Man that came out 2.5 weeks ago, the Avengers that came out in May, or any number of action films over the years.
  • Like 2

Any time they start pointing the finger at the movie, that's propaganda. TDKR isn't any more violent than the Bourne film coming out soon, Spider-Man that came out 2.5 weeks ago, the Avengers that came out in May, or any number of action films over the years.

Pointing the finger - yes. But when the story originally broke, I don't think anyone was blaming the movie. It was just a way of catching more eyes.

I think propaganda is the wrong word. Propaganda implies they have the intention of bringing the movie down. What they're doing is attaching their story to the popularity of the movie... riding its coattails in order to bring in more viewers/readers to their show/publication.Not any more noble than propaganda... but differently motivated.

I believe the right word is "sensationalism." Back in the old days, all newspapers were political. Then came Sensationalist journalism with the first Hearst papers, which is what I believe you're describing here. Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 3

Pointing the finger - yes. But when the story originally broke, I don't think anyone was blaming the movie. It was just a way of catching more eyes.

That was the initial wave, then the next one was the blame game. And now this week we've got the first lawsuits by a victim against WB, which will allow the media to really push the blame game agenda if they want.
  • Like 1

Does anyone else hate how you start posting and out of nowhere, Baumer posts a few times and all of a sudden you used up all your Likes? You never see the brilliance coming and you can't prepare yourself for it. Chewy does is too. I haven't learned how to resist hitting the "Like" button when they post.

I've used a bunch of likes on just this thread alone today. I just finished reading through every page. :)

Let's just be happy when it breaks $400-$425M. Again... given the circumstances. That's why none of the box office analysts are holding the lower-than-expected grosses against it. Its a win under this situation. But with a big asterisk and let's face it, a moot point.

Edited by filmnerdjamie

I still can't believe there are people saying it could do this or it was never going to do that. Or worse yet, giving credits to predictions in light of this. This shooting has had the single biggest effect on TDKR, not just at the BO but in its representation among audiences and the media. NO ONE saw it coming, obviously, so why should any previous prediction be given credence?

• Like 1

I still can't believe there are people saying it could do this or it was never going to do that. Or worse yet, giving credits to predictions in light of this. This shooting has had the single biggest effect on TDKR, not just at the BO but in its representation among audiences and the media. NO ONE saw it coming, obviously, so why should any previous prediction be given credence?

This.

Media reported that the killer had a Batman costume in his apartment. WTF does that have to do with anything other than the media attempting to link the killings with the movie? Really lame agenda IMHO.

I think agenda is the wrong word. An agenda implies.... I'm just fucking with ya now, bro. :)

Media reported that the killer had a Batman costume in his apartment. WTF does that have to do with anything other than the media attempting to link the killings with the movie? Really lame agenda IMHO.

Tell people that there's a maniac that wants to kill people and they won't care. Relate this to the Aurora tragedy and you get ratings. :rolleyes: