CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

This weekend might not be that good considering that the Olympics are starting.

You are just killing me your Olympics nonsense.Did you know what happened 4 years ago when TDK was released ???

That is major bullshit right there. What an arrogant post to claim that there was "evidence" for sub-500m. Probably you should have done some research. Nearly every predictor site had it over 500m. The pre-sales determinate OW, hardly the legs and total, so that's a weak argument as well. Fact remains that we will never know and the only real number that we can discuss is the 30m midnights, which decide nothing.

Totally agree...this would have hit $500m if not for the horrible shooting, I am 100% confident in that. And the constant back and forth going on with the doubters (or whatever you want to call them), and uncertainty/what could have been with this movie, will literally make this (for me) the most frustrating movie to follow and talk about box office wise ever.

That is major bullshit right there. What an arrogant post to claim that there was "evidence" for sub-500m. Probably you should have done some research. Nearly every predictor site had it over 500m. The pre-sales determinate OW, hardly the legs and total, so that's a weak argument as well. Fact remains that we will never know and the only real number that we can discuss is the 30m midnights, which decide nothing.

I actually agree with this more than I thought I would. All of us that were in the $200m range (including myself) were predicting far higher midnights, yes, but that doesn't mean because it was "just" $30m that it was a virtual lock to do less. Extrapolating from midnights is incredibly difficult, and I recall people believing underpredicting Hunger Games when the midnights were $19.7m rather than the $25m initially reported. Plenty didn't believe the OW record was going down when Potter did $43.5m and (quite implausibly here) when Avengers midnights were reported.

Totally agree...this would have hit $500m if not for the horrible shooting, I am 100% confident in that. And the constant back and forth going on with the doubters (or whatever you want to call them), and uncertainty/what could have been with this movie, will literally make this (for me) the most frustrating movie to follow and talk about box office wise ever.

Its amusing how you guys are so certain of 500m without the shooting and that everyone who says otherwise is an idiot even though this film didn't have as much going for it as TDK. Expected Nolanism.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest adjusted is 511 m.

And you are telling me that the sequel from one of the most cherrished and most successful movie in the last 15 years from one of the most important directors of its generation putting its stamp on the most popular supehero in the USA

WASN'T BOUND TO MAKE AT LEAST 500 M DOM???

GET A GRIP PEOPLE, PLEASE !!!!!!!

Its amusing how you guys are so certain of 500m without the shooting and that everyone who says otherwise is an idiot even though this film didn't have as much going for it as TDK. Expected Nolanism.

Or perhaps we're wondering why someone would post such a comment before checking the overseas numbers? Nolasim is realism when it comes to our TDKR predictions. All the OS figures are in line with expectation. The US box office is in limbo, it's useless to talk about success or disappointment at this point. Edited by The Dark Alfred

You have no idea what you're talking about and I am not calling those who disagree idiots.

You keep saying this film had nowhere near what TDK had going for it, but so far the only evidence you and anyone else have brought up is the tired Heath Ledger excuse. TDKR comes off a predecessor with considerably better WOM and DVD sales than TDK's.

Totally agree...this would have hit $500m if not for the horrible shooting, I am 100% confident in that.

It wasn't going to hit $600M though, so in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. It will still be the number 2 movie this year, just like it would have been before the shooting, unless The Hobbit breaks out, but that's Warner Bros also, so it's not a big deal.

Ugh, I am already so sick of the fanboys using the tragedy for their 500m+ delusions of grandeur. Their was clear as day evidence all along that this would not get close to TDK unadjusted and many of us provided them and told you guys that for months. The fact of the matter is the tragedy simply can not and will not knock 50 or 100m off the total gross and fanboys trying to say it will are using it for their own disgusting means. Did it affect the OW? Of course, no one's denying that. The extent to which it effects it after that though will be minimal at best. People are not going to stay away from the theater forever because of what happened. In fact its multi will likely be improved on whatever it would have been without the incident as people who stayed away on OW gradually go see it.

• Like 2

Ugh, I am already so sick of the fanboys using the tragedy for their 500m+ delusions of grandeur. Their was clear as day evidence all along that this would not get close to TDK unadjusted and many of us provided them and told you guys that for months. The fact of the matter is the tragedy simply can not and will not knock 50 or 100m off the total gross and fanboys trying to say it will are using it for their own disgusting means. Did it affect the OW? Of course, no one's denying that. The extent to which it effects it after that though will be minimal at best. People are not going to stay away from the theater forever because of what happened. In fact its multi will likely be improved on whatever it would have been without the incident as people who stayed away on OW gradually go see it.

The impact will last for weeks. Check twitter, dude. An endless stream of people waxing concern about going to see the movie, specifically that movie. And as the media continues to infer dubious connections between the shooting and the movie itself, it'll only make it worse.
  • Like 2

You are chatting shit. What evidence are you talking about? Please share. Also we don't know how big the tragedy effected the film. It's clear for every sane person that's it's not minimal. You're trying to quantify it, which is just inhuman. You have absolutely no clue how the media and today's society works.

You are chatting shit. What evidence are you talking about? Please share. Also we don't know how big the tragedy effected the film. It's clear for every sane person that's it's not minimal. You're trying to quantify it, which is just inhuman. You have absolutely no clue how the media and today's society works.

Not minimal on OW sure. We all agree it knocked at least $20m off. Any person that thinks the whole entire box office run is getting substantially hit by it though is using it as a shield to deflect the fact that it just isn't living up to their wild and unrealistic expectations, and I find that disgusting.
  • Like 1

Not minimal on OW sure. We all agree it knocked at least $20m off. Any person that thinks the whole entire box office run is getting substantially hit by it though is using it as a shield to deflect the fact that it just isn't living up to their wild and unrealistic expectations, and I find that disgusting.

If the media would STFU about it, I would agree with you. But right now they just keep going on and on about it. I don't think it will have a $100m impact, but if they keep up the bullshit that they've been doing, it could be in the $50m neighborhood. I'm expecting around $415m total.

No, boo boo. That's ^ disgusting.