CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

No it won't. The second weekend is a mystery, I'll agree with that. But not the weekdays. The film film exactly in line with expectations yesterday and it will do so throughout the week.

Agreed. With its kid audience gone because of the shooting, it is relying heavily on adults right now. Not many adults have time to go watch a nearly 3 hour film on a work night. I would not be surprised if this is more of a weekend movie than TDK was. TASM was definitely more of a weekend film judging by its first 2.5 weeks. I think this one might perform similarly to that one, though on a bigger scale.
  • Like 1

Well I wouldn't say that. Spidey still brings in more money than Thor, X-Men, Superman, or Captain America. (Let alone GL.)

I would say that Spidey brought in more than Thor or Cap. Lets see if Spidey still brings in more than those two franchises when TASM 2, Thor: The Dark World, and Capt. America: The Winter Soldier all come out.

TDKR could stay flat on Tuesday. Avengers fell 6% on Tuesday, but its Monday was inflated by spillover business from the weekend. Harry Potter fell 10% which is the absolute worst TDKR could do.

My biggest fear is that WB will effectively take the blame and make the reboot campy because "the previous movies were too dark/violent and inspired a mass shooting."

Hmmm, I hadn't really thought about that too much. Maybe, you might be right, but I don't think WB will be too eager to turn back the clock and return to the much-derided Batman & Robin era.I think a much more likely outcome is instead of a new Batman movie in 2015 (or whenever it was going to be), it'll get pushed back a few years to something like 2016-2018 instead.WB will not be a huge rush to make another Batman movie. Despite the fact that their accountants will likely want them to rush. It's the one and only DC comics property thats really been successful on the big screen for them the past 30 years, and now it's got a huge obstacle to overcome to make it's way back to the big screen too.

Why u guys see an increase tomorrow is waaaay beyond me. Take DH2s numbers for this week and that's the daily drops you're looking at.

Potter had the legs of the amputee. Batman already held much better throughout the opening 4 days.
  • Like 1

Agreed. With its kid audience gone because of the shooting, it is relying heavily on adults right now. Not many adults have time to go watch a nearly 3 hour film on a work night. I would not be surprised if this is more of a weekend movie than TDK was. TASM was definitely more of a weekend film judging by its first 2.5 weeks. I think this one might perform similarly to that one, though on a bigger scale.

Kid audience was only partly gone on 1st weekend, it will come back the more we move away from 19th july

I think the run is just not going to be impressive regardless of holds.I went again last night, and ended up running out of the house at 8:05 to drive 5 miles to see an 8:15 showing. Had no idea it was an IMAX. Got there, and was told I was buying the last ticket. I was by myself. Figured I wouldn't get a decent seat, but no, found one right in the middle.The movie holds up very well the second time, and I unquestionably like it more than TDK in every way but one. The Ledger Joker is the only thing from the TDK that trumps TDKR for me. Yeah granted it's a big thing, but that's it. I thought Hardy does an amazing job as Bane, despite the limitations of the character given you cannot see half his face. And Hathaway, well, get in line boys, she's mine.Point being, it's a shame the movie is going to under-perform, and its even more of a shame the reason why. I think Nolan has ruined the Batman series as well. The movies he made will not be equaled, and I hope he decides to do one more later on. There are plenty of good villians to choose from, especially given some of the early rumors on TDKR, like Philip Seymor Hoffman as a Russian Arms Dealer, the Penguin, etc....I just cannot see any more Batman's being remotely this good.The final gross is going to disappoint a lot of you IMO.

• Like 1

The final gross is going to disappoint a lot of you IMO.

Under these circumstances, it pulling in mid 400s won't be. Everything got absolutely thrown into a loop and truth is we'll never know what it would have done had a certain psychopath douchebag fucktard not done what he did.
  • Like 2

Tell that to titanic, avatar tdk

I used to say "Never compare any movie to Titanic - it's unfair". Avatar decided to join Titanic anyway, with ridiculous legs - which were supposed to be impossible in today's Box Office world.TDK performed just like a Blockbuster, as did Avengers, neither of which should be mentioned as Titanic or Avatar-esque. Even though Avengers made it to $600M it's performance was not like that of the two noted films above. Different beasts entirely.TDKR is going to be a smaller TDK. It WILL gross less, and it WILL NOT make $500 million.The only question is how happy will you guys be at ~$450 million?

TITANIC and AVATAR were already showing signs of ridiculous legs at this point.

TDKR doesn't have horrible legs yet, but so far it's not behaving in a special way.

I think it's going to have a "normal" run on paper, but it will be a great run when you take into account the negative propaganda being spewed by the media against the film and the public's paranoia due to the shooting. You've got seemingly good WOM for the film mixed with toxic real life events being directly connected to the film. It washes out to a "normal" looking run in the end.

Major events will be after 5:30pm gmt which is 10:30pm est or 7:30 pm pst

Hmm think 5:30 gmt is 10:30am pst and 1:30 pm est. And NBC will definitely tape delay some prime events for prime time. And with the continuous bad press I wouldn't be surprised by an even softer weekend.