CJohn

Monday (7/23/12) Numbers: The Dark Knight Rises - 19.5M

I don't think $500m is totally out of reach but it will certainly be a crawl now. I do expect it to have good legs but it really depends on WOM vs how this tragedy continues to play out. Not to mention a couple of other hottish releases in the next few weeks, although those will also have more of a struggle than otherwise.

Edited by Bumblebee

TDK was more of a weekday film than this one will be. TDK didn't have its kid audience nuked by a shooting. TDK also was 12 minutes shorter, which made it a bit easier for working people to watch it on a work night. I expect this to be more of a weekend film like TASM was in the 2.5 weeks leading up to July 20th. The problem with his numbers is that the weekdays are too optimistic.

I agree with you but we still won't know, if parents will allow their teens to go see the movie this weekend. I'm expecting around a 55% jump on Friday. Hancock had the largest jump in the top 17 in 2008 at 64% and that's the highest I could see TDKR jump.

Copycat shooter was arrested and now a "victim" (who didn't get shot) is suing Warner Brothers. People are in denial if they think the film isn't being directly associated with the shooting and thus paying a penalty at the box office.

I saw that story, TDKR just can't catch a fucking break. At this point, I would be shocked if it hits 500M.