mmacader

Wednesday (7/25/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $13.77m

LOL, funny photo. Everyone stop panicking. The fact is this was clearly showing signs of Frontloadedness. Again Toy Story 3 is the floor, Sherk 3 is the ceiling. 450 is gone, 500 is Long Gone.

Toy Story 3 made more than Shrek 3. You have the floor and ceiling mixed up.

Given the runtime and tone of the marketing material, I'd say we had a pretty good idea. It's just that some folks here were in denial about that aspect.

Not sure it was that obvious. I think the third trailer, while not misleading, presents a more optimistic film than the one we got. Some people said it could have been the superhero version of Rocky, but that element only kicks into the actual movie really, really late and after a bunch of pretty dark stuff goes down. Even I was surprised at how bleak the whole affair was. Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

So that is the reception the film is getting not the shooting. If the wom was better, then the weekend drop would be about 40-45%. You can't blame this sub-par run just on the shooting, there are now a myriad of mitigating circumstances that will keep it from making more than about 425.

Exactly, the movie is behaving like a normal movie during the weekdays. If the shooting really had such a big impact, it wouldn´t be so "normal". The shooting was a tragedy, but the fact, that the fans are using the shooting as a reason for the BO performance is pathetic.Here in germany the wom is very mixed, some say it is the best movie they ever saw, some say it´s the weakest of the trilogy. I booked my tickets for tomorrow, can´t wait :D
  • Like 5

Exactly, the movie is behaving like a normal movie during the weekdays. If the shooting really had such a big impact, it wouldn´t be so "normal". The shooting was a tragedy, but the fact, that the fans are using the shooting as a reason for the BO performance is pathetic.Here in germany the wom is very mixed, some say it is the best movie they ever saw, some say it´s the weakest of the trilogy. I booked my tickets for tomorrow, can´t wait :D

I think people are kidding themselves if they think the shooting had no effect. Especially considering the weak Friday business and the reports of weak walk ups especially in Midfle America Edited by John Marston

I totally agree with Baumer & jb007. The mistake Bat fans made from the beginning was assuming DKR would just automatically mirror TDK's performance or eXpand upon it, 'cause it was Nolan or some such BS. Forget about friggin' Avengers, its success only compounded the problem. DKR's doing just fine in light of the tragedy AND when you consider ALL other factors it already had as potential BO dampeners.

• Like 5

Not sure it was that obvious. I think the third trailer, while not misleading, presents a more optimistic film than the one we got. Some people said it could have been the superhero version of Rocky, but that element only kicks into the actual movie really, really late and after a bunch of pretty dark stuff goes down. Even I was surprised at how bleak the whole affair was.

The third trailer was pretty grim. The soft piano ques at the beginning, the shot of Bane dropping Batman's mask.

Anything near 450 should be hailed as a miracle IMO.I wasn't here before the shooting but did a lot of people say it was gonna beat TDK let alone TA?

There were definitely TDKR loonies, but few of them expected it to beat TA. I was in the over TDK club as a hope more than an expectation.

Exactly, the movie is behaving like a normal movie during the weekdays. If the shooting really had such a big impact, it wouldn´t be so "normal". The shooting was a tragedy, but the fact, that the fans are using the shooting as a reason for the BO performance is pathetic.

Here in germany the wom is very mixed, some say it is the best movie they ever saw, some say it´s the weakest of the trilogy. I booked my tickets for tomorrow, can´t wait :D

Mixed? How does that make it mixed? O.o How is being the weakest of the trilogy bad? Or whatever. :P

The third trailer was pretty grim. The soft piano ques at the beginning, the shot of Bane dropping Batman's mask.

Which then sets it up for the uplifting second half of the promo. It's not like it lied about the movie, but when you're watching 2 hours and 40 minutes of heaviness the effect is cumulative. I liked that it took that risk and enjoyed the film, I should add. Edited by Hatebox

I totally agree with Baumer & jb007. The mistake Bat fans made from the beginning was assuming DKR would just automatically mirror TDK's performance or eXpand upon it, 'cause it was Nolan or some such BS. Forget about friggin' Avengers, its success only compounded the problem. DKR's doing just fine in light of the tragedy AND when you consider ALL other factors it already had as potential BO dampeners.

Completely agree. This film's biggest box office achievement is going to be solidifying Batman as a global brand. 7 years ago, BB made $166m overseas. TDKR is going to make in the neighborhood of 4 times as much. It will be the first time we see a big Batman film at the domestic box office end up with 60% or more of its worldwide revenue coming from foreign markets. For a character that has been so iconic in America for 73 years, it is about time that the rest of the world started figuring it out. I'm glad to see it. Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 4

And I think a good chunk of that is certainly true, but the biggest thing we really can't quantify is how much momentum if at all was stopped by the shooting. Usually when a big movie comes out, there's a bunch of talk, good or bad about the film. Well, the problem is that a lot of the discussion isn't really about the content of the film itself. It's this kind of momentum that really pushed TDK and TA to soaring heights, whereas, a lot of that seems to have been curbed by the shooting. In light of that, TDKR is doing acceptable I suppose. The OS performance has been great so far though.

I don't think a miraculous recovery is going to happen at this point. Lost business is pretty much lost business. Some will certainly see it eventually (teenagers I suspect), but some of the casual goers who might have been convinced to go if there was a lot of talk about the film may not now.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

There were definitely TDKR loonies, but few of them expected it to beat TA. I was in the over TDK club as a hope more than an expectation.

I see, thanks for the info.I'd be happy if it beat TDK WW by a decent margin.Also, as a batman fan ( Bruce fan too) I am very happy that the world has finally embraced the hero it deserves and needs :)For that, I am very very thankful for Nolan.

The incident last Friday has changed the Box Office completely and will change Box Office performances for the remainder of the Summer. Little by little people will begin going to the theaters again which is why I believe TDKR will make 5-10M it lost last weekend. It may be a longshot but still a possiblity. Every box office website claims it lost anywhere from 15-20M last week because of the incident.To get $500M total, this weekend will need to make $80M.To get $450M total, this weekend will need to make $75M.To get $400M total, this weekend will need to make $70M.This movie won't have that much legs which is why I believe that's whats necessary for this weekend.