darthdevidem01

Could The Original Trilogy Ever Be Remade? (And the prequels too?)

I've always wondered about this.Now Star Wars is no comic book, no novel or anything like that. It began WITH the first movie...but it's evolved into something bigger than Lucas obviously ever imagined.Say 50 years from now would anyone have the guts to go for an all out remake of the original trilogy & then perhaps the prequels?

I seriously doubt it. A few years ago there was a huge uproar over the possibility of a "Casablanca" remake. Considering that's probably my favorite movie, I wasn't too happy about it either.Throw into the mix that it was rumored to be a project for Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez... yeah, it got ugly. I think the OT will be held just about as sacred as Casablanca for a LONG time.

hmmm true fan outrage could mean it never happens due to how sacred the OT is.But CJohn might be right...it might take more than 100 years for it to actually happen, by then it may be less sacred for that generation.Then again in 100 years will traditional cinema exist? Who knows, but as I'm immortal I'll find out!

Ha. Speaking of immortality, how sick is it that when I used to fantasize about living forever, the first thing I thought about was all the future movies I could see? Not how far mankind would advance. Not whether or not we make contact with alien intelligence. But rather... "Boy, I could live long enough to see all the great movies that would have been made after I should have died!"

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a complete reboot, maybe after CGI gets a bit better (that is, a full CGI reboot that looks incredibly lifelike). Something very consistent with itself, with the feel of the OT. Still have a Vader arc and a Luke arc, but learn from the mistakes of the prequels. No young Anakin, except possibly in flashbacks if it is truly necessary. Make the fall of Anakin a truly heart-wrenching tragedy, and his redemption through his son just as powerful. I don't think much of the OT would need to change, to be honest. More: Boba Fett, Grevious (if done correctly), Force as a myserious somewhat unknown entity, Sith Lords (a few more, not a bazillion), Influences from the expanded universe, Continuity of technology (droids, ships, etc)Less: R2D2 and C3PO (especailly in Vader's arc), clunky dialogue, poorly written "humor"Remove: Jar Jar, Midichlorians, Sith rule of 2Keep: Williams' score, Most ship designs, Most planet designs

[*]Why remove sith rule of 2?

Well, it seems very contrived to me. It's tactically difficult to get things done, and given that there are so many jedi, and the dark side is so attractive, it just seems like an unrealistic constraint.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few early movies that eventually end up tying into each other, sort fo like how Iron Man, CA, and Thor all worked to tie into The Avengers. There could be a movie about Han (he has a fascinating back story per the EU), a movie about Obi Wan, etc, and they all would be pointing towards the Vader arc.

50 years? Sure. Though it depends on how well this new trilogy and possibly the next are received.Usually reboots are done when a franchise runs its course or goes down the drain (Star Trek, Batman, Spider-Man, etc). Hard to reboot historic films, and from the looks of it, I think this new trilogy will be historic.Disney probably could have rebooted Eps 1, 2, and 3 right after the acquisition, but I think they made the right move just going forward.

I seriously doubt it. A few years ago there was a huge uproar over the possibility of a "Casablanca" remake. Considering that's probably my favorite movie, I wasn't too happy about it either.Throw into the mix that it was rumored to be a project for Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez... yeah, it got ugly. I think the OT will be held just about as sacred as Casablanca for a LONG time.

Anything can be remade. Anything. They did it with Psycho and they are doing it with so many other films now. Thankfully, as of yet, they have not done anything like Jaws or ET but if the check is big enough and the prospects are as well, anything can happen.
  • Like 3

• Founder / Operator

They *can* remake the original trilogy, but it would be a fool's errand to do it anytime in the next couple of decades IMO. Maybe even after that. Its hard to tell, but some films stand the test of time and the OT appears to fit that bill in the same way as Wizard of Oz.The prequels, on the other hand, could easily be remade into something more palatable for audiences. They were monster hits, but they're not irreplaceable if given a strong writer/director. They really wouldn't even need to change many aspects of the story itself, but if they did it probably wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by ShawnMR

As long as George Lucas and the original OT cast members are still alive, No it couldn't be remade. As for the prequels, there's no point in remaking them without remaking the OT since the events and characters are tied together.One could argue, Lucas already remade parts of the trilogy adding there, tweaking, erasing, changing meaning of some scenes but it's his own creation, he can do whatever he wants for the better or the worse.Now that Disney owns the rights, they prefer cashing on the glorious indelible memory the OT printed on movie history forever than re-making that same old from scratch.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

the only story i would like to be told is the Jedi/sith origin story.

Problem is that there's about 923856 different incarnations of the Sith over 20,000+ years of galactic history, for some of which we have a decent amount of background source material (comics, etc), others we have a handful of sentences in various encyclopedias at most. Edited by 4815162342

I don't think they will be remade for a long time.  If they remake the prequel trilogy they should greatly trim down episode 1 and make it a flashback or two in the next episode.  That leaves space in the trilogy between 2 and 3 to establish Anikan and Obi-Wan's relationship so the final fight in 3 and Anikan's entire turn to the dark side carries more weight.

• Like 1