mmacader

Monday (7/30/12) Numbers TDKR $8,160,046

iJack I'm not singling you out but this "it has bad WOM because all of my _____ hated it"/"it has good WOM because all of my _____ loved it" has to stop. The sample size is laughably small, especially with movies like TA/THG/TDKR.

Oh, but I agree with you. For its size, The Avengers WOM is insanely HUGE. Heaven sent is the name of the word of mouth of that film. TDK's WOM was also stellar. TDKR's WOM is great, but not in the same levels of the last two mentioned IMHO. But feel free to disagree.
  • Like 1

Out of that selection, I would goTATDKTHGTDKRTASM*That's just based off my friends of course.

From online I'd agree with this. Here in Brazil it'd go like this:TATDKTDKRTASMTHGI actually don't know a single person in real life that actually has seen THG around here.

TA

TDK

TDKR

THG

Apart from Avatar, I've never seen anything like TA regarding WOM.

Agreed. I can honestly say I have never met someone in real life that flat out said either of those films were meh or bad. That's just my personal experience though. Edited by Moviefanatic

So over on Pandora, word of mouth for TDKR among the Na'vi general audience is not that great; the movie didn't have enough nature in it for them.

A friend of mine was also in Asgard the other day, and the WOM there for TDKR is not that good.

Overall, on Asgard, I heard they currently rank some big films in the following order:

Thor

Thor 2 (yes it's not out yet, but it is already ranked by Asgardians)

TA

THG

TDK

TDKR

I heard one of the major plot criticisms among Asgardians for TDKR is that there aren't enough bows and arrows and hammers in the film.

Isn't anecdotal evidence fun? Who cares what the WOM is among "your friends" or "your office"? Anyone can give anecdotal observations like that. The more objective data that we have includes hundreds of thousands of user opinions, and among a huge number of people out there in the world and in the US TDKR WOM is strong. Not TDK-level amazing WOM, but strong WOM nonetheless.

Here's some personal anecdotes of mine, and they mean absolutely nothing, but I'm going to say it anyway for those that are curious; one of my friends ranked the film a bit worse than TDK, and he loved TDK. He's still curious about the film and wants to watch it again to decide on a final rating. Another person who saw it with me ranks it as pretty good. This person never saw BB or TDK (had no interest in either film), but the trailers for TDKR got them interested in this case. They couldn't really follow the plot not having seen the previous two but still thought it was pretty cool. Another friend of mine considers TDK overrated, and he liked but didn't love TDK. He loved TDKR and thinks it's better than TDK and the best Nolan Batman film. He thought Bane was a better villain than Joker.

So a wide array of opinions from these personal anecdotal observations, but it the end they mean almost nothing because these are only a few people, while millions upon millions have watched and continue to watch TDKR.

It's coming from people on here who didn't like the movie and are trying to spin it that everyone they know and talked to also didn't like it. The movie will sell 50+ million tickets, but their opinion and sample size of like 10 people means bad/mediocre wom! :lol:

That is EXACTLY where it's coming from. Some people here on the forums personally didn't like it, or had already decided they wouldn't like it before they even saw the film, and they are taking advantage of the tragic circumstances that happened with TDKR to push their bias of the film and their agenda that somehow the WOM isn't good, simply because they personally didn't like it, or a few friends of theirs' didn't like it.

Here is a VERY informative article Shawn wrote that hopefully helps put a stop to these ridiculous WOM arguments:

http://www.boxoffice.com/articles/2012-07-number-crunch-beyond-the-dark-knight-rises-numbers

I like most of all that Shawn used cold, hard numbers and marketshare percentages to show how well TDKR is doing, and also to prove that the market is still down since the tragedy.

• Like 1

Well I go by what friends, co workers, cinemascore, and box-office performance since most of these online polls tend to be very fanboy driven. Films getting thousands of reviews weeks before the movie even comes out. Sorry, I don't trust any of them.

Well I go by what friends, co workers, cinemascore, and box-office performance since most of these online polls tend to be very fanboy driven. Films getting thousands of reviews weeks before the movie even comes out. Sorry, I don't trust any of them.

IMDB and Metacritic did not have any user scores until the film came out. They do not allow people to rank films ahead of release. Not sure about RT/Flixster and if they allow that.Cinemascore only polls I think a few hundred people at most. TDKR by the way did get a Cinemascore of A, which is the same thing TDK got.

IMDB and Metacritic did not have any user scores until the film came out. They do not allow people to rank films ahead of release. Not sure about RT/Flixster and if they allow that.Cinemascore only polls I think a few hundred people at most. TDKR by the way did get a Cinemascore of A, which is the same thing TDK got.

Still will go with what friends say over internet polls.I already know that the cinemascore for TDKR is the same as TDK. Still think the WOM is lower than TA and TDK but it is still good. Edited by Moviefanatic

Why do people exclusively go by the word of mouth of friends? Some of the friends I have hate Nolan's batman films. Not surprisingly, they didn't think much of TDKR. For example, I've gone 4 times to see it. The amount of people I went with total 16. Out of 16, 13 liked/loved it. Now, would I claim this as a sample consensus of all the people who went to see TDKR? No-it's ridiculous. Same with co-workers and family. I'd say even those who were initially put off from seeing it, ended up in favor of it. But I can't claim that the rest of the nation feels the same or different. Those we know personally are a small sampling. Unless you have hundreds of friends. Or, unless you went down the aisle after every showing and asked everyone in the audience what they thought, you can't get an accurate representation. However, I find it funny that people are willing to claim Cinemascore, IMDB, any online poll in favor of TDKR inaccurate, while they are likely to hold it in high regard if a movie they liked skewed positively. A friend of mine who is a bigger fan of Batman/Nolan than I am tracked twitter/tumblr like a madman after the first showings in NYC were through. As I looked at the twitter feed myself, the amount of praise for the movie outweighed any negatives or underwhelmed reactions by a long ass mile.

• Like 1

Why do people exclusively go by the word of mouth of friends? Some of the friends I have hate Nolan's batman films. Not surprisingly, they didn't think much of TDKR. For example, I've gone 4 times to see it. The amount of people I went with total 16. Out of 16, 13 liked/loved it. Now, would I claim this as a sample consensus of all the people who went to see TDKR? No-it's ridiculous. Same with co-workers and family. I'd say even those who were initially put off from seeing it, ended up in favor of it. But I can't claim that the rest of the nation feels the same or different. Those we know personally are a small sampling. Unless you have hundreds of friends. Or, unless you went down the aisle after every showing and asked everyone in the audience what they thought, you can't get an accurate representation. However, I find it funny that people are willing to claim Cinemascore, IMDB, any online poll in favor of TDKR inaccurate, while they are likely to hold it in high regard if a movie they liked skewed positively. A friend of mine who is a bigger fan of Batman/Nolan than I am tracked twitter/tumblr like a madman after the first showings in NYC were through. As I looked at the twitter feed myself, the amount of praise for the movie outweighed any negatives or underwhelmed reactions by a long ass mile.

Is this directed at my post? If so, I never said that is how the nation feels. Just said from personal experience. I also don't use online polls to judge WOM. Edited by Moviefanatic

Is this directed at my post?

I'm saying it in response to anyone who acts like the small group of personal friends or acquaintances we know make up the consensus of a general audience. If I said my friends are the representatives of a film's WOM, it sounds ridiculous, and rightfully so.

It doesn't matter if you use Cinemascore, online polls, twitter, box office performance, TDKR's share of marketplace business since it opened, an abacus or a sundial to measure TDKR's WOM; all signs show that TDKR WOM is strong. Not incredible, but not bad and certainly not mixed.Personal observations from friends don't count in this case. End of discussion. There is really nothing else to say about TDKR WOM.

• Like 1

I also don't use online polls to judge WOM.

Because of online influence with films these days, a film may be more successful or a greater bomb faster than they were even 5 years ago. Now, TDKR fans may be rushing to the computer and flooding all the poll as some are speculating here, but I don't see it that way at all. Looking at the twitter feeds and tumblr (the TDKR tag I've tracked since it's opening) tells me a large number of people liked/loved it more than the ones that didn't. That is what I'm seeing.

I don't see how personal observations "don't count" especially if it is from the GA. Anyway, I'm not going to get dragged into this WOM argument that has been going on in these forums the last few days since I think it is silly. Just seems like another "Fanboy vs Haters" thing going on.I'm just going to say as of now, I think TDKR has good WOM. If it has some more 50%+ drops the next few weeks, I will rethink it.

Edited by Moviefanatic