mmacader

Monday (7/30/12) Numbers TDKR $8,160,046

TDKR's most impacted audience is probably that 13-15 age group. Plenty of Batman fans in that group, but none of them can legally drive themselves to the theater. Parents have a lot more control over those kids than the 16 and up age group. I would be furious if I was around 13 or 14 when this movie came out and my parents stopped me from seeing it because of paranoia. My parents are pretty cool though so I don't think they would have done that, but I think there are probably quite a few around the country that are pulling this nonsense on their kids.

They can't drive and they don't have their own money. Yes, that is the age group most impacted, at least among this film's audience. This franchise has an audience that skews a little older, though, compared to the likes of Potter and Twilight. So losing viewers in that demographic hurts, but it isn't catastrophic. The older folks are still coming out to the theater to see the film.

Watch is just further proof that star power isn't what it used to be.

This would've opened to twice as much five years ago, even with the same reviews. If I could thank one moviegoing shift in the last decade or so it's that audiences are getting smarter towards bad comedies. Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

They can't drive and they don't have their own money. Yes, that is the age group most impacted, at least among this film's audience. This franchise has an audience that skews a little older, though, compared to the likes of Potter and Twilight. So losing viewers in that demographic hurts, but it isn't catastrophic. The older folks are still coming out to the theater to see the film.

Isn't catastrophic? I can't say I agree with you here man. It's Batman. It's huge with teenagers because it's the new, cool big blockbuster. I think it takes a pretty big hit if it loses that audience.

Either way, I certainly agree that the WOM for TDKR, shooting or no shooting, was never going to get it the repeat customers it needs to reach TDK/TA levels, outside of the fanboys like myself. :D

Edited by Letsuseournoggin

The shooting probably hurt the under 17 crowd the most. Definitely. I can see them not being able to come back. This is definitely a huge factor

People who dislike the movie tend to not think so.

The reason is not dislike, it is because the numbers do not indicate much of an effect.

It caused an effect on OW. Thus, already damaging the film's total gross. The movie is doing GOOD. It's just not on par with TDK. It was never going to reach The Avengers because of the lack of 3D, film length, and not kid friendly movie. Edited by EaZze

They need to go with a rexpansion in August, September, I don't know when. When is the next Comic-Con?

Too late for that. They're already promoting the Blu-Ray release pretty heavily though, saw a commercial during the Olympics, and we're two months away from release! That's nearly unheard of

Since I apparently didn't address this, here is my response. If the shooting affected it so much, then where is he great recovery? When will it start having uncharacteristically low drops to make up for all of those terrified people who stayed away OW?The truth is they wo't come and there won't be any great drops because word has gotten out that TDKR just isn't that good, or that it is good, but it isn't that great. :)

Again, I'm saying with this mixed/so-so wom you think TDKR is having which will lead to around a $450m Dom finish, just adjusting its ow to $180-185m (which eveyone, including you, agrees it would have gotten without the horrible shootings) and using the same drops it's having now, that is $500m. So it makes no sense that you're saying it had no chance in the world to finish $500m under normal conditions, when it's going to finish only $50m or so away under the current conditions.

Again, I'm saying with this mixed/so-so wom you think TDKR is having which will lead to around a $450m Dom finish, just adjusting its ow to $180-185m (which eveyone, including you, agrees it would have gotten without the horrible shootings) and using the same drops it's having now, that is $500m. So it makes no sense that you're saying it had no chance in the world to finish $500m under normal conditions, when it's going to finish only $50m or so away under the current conditions.

Yes, it does make sense because it would have been even more frontloaded. If you give it a 185 opening, I have it at 480 tops.