Brokeback Mountain  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade "Brokeback Mountain"

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Awful , got the buzz only because it was about homosexual romance . Yeah, yeah i know that for politically correctness we must all say what a brilliant film it was but take the homosexual romance and replace it with heterosexual romance and you are left with an extremely shallow romantic movie with almost no story progression whatsoever . Ang Lee is overrated beyond belief , haven't liked a single movie of his (plus i hate him for destroying the Hulk franchise before it could spread its wings )

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

Brilliant movie. Ledger is fantastic.However Gyllenhaal, as always, leaves me cold. I've yet to see a movie were he wasn't the weakest of the main cast. Maybe Donnie Darko, but that's because whatshername who played Gretchen was abysmal.

Edited by ddddeeee

Brilliant movie. Ledger is fantastic.However Gyllenhaal, as always, leaves me cold. I've yet to see a movie were he wasn't the weakest of the main cast. Maybe Donnie Darko, but that's because whatshername who played Gretchen was abysmal.

I thought Jake Gyllenhaal was great, Ledger had to do most of the emotional legwork but Gyllenhaal's role was played very effectively too.
  • Like 1

This was a really good movie. I was enormously touched by the tragic romance and the performances, and nothing felt forced or false. Heath Ledger was unbelievably good in this. One of the most emotional romance-movies I've seen in a whileOh, and BTW: fuck Crash8/10

• Like 1

Totally understand what thrylos means about the people liking it just because of political correctness, but in this instance I disagree. I watched this in the cinema and liked it. I didn't fall for the romance as such, partly because of Ledger's anemic performance, but I did like the film and Ang Lee is a pretty good director with attention to detail. All of his films seem tight, which is a plus.

• Like 1

Maybe I should see this again but the romance did not work for me. Ledger was the best part of the movie I enjoyed the movie when he was on screen and that was about it.6/10

I felt the same way when I first saw this, but every time I watch it gets better and better. It's the little details that count, like the expression on Jack's face when Ennis mentions he left his shirt on Brokeback Mountain (which we later find out he kept in his room for 20 years). You can't notice things like that on the first watch, this is an example of a "show don't tell" movie. I honestly think Heath's performance as Ennis is easily his best and one of the greatest performances of all time. I can't believe I used to prefer Crash over this, yuck! 

the funny thing is, all the praise goes to Ledger.  But Gylenhall is equally as good in this film.  I think he will win an Oscar one day.  Gyllenhall is one of my fave actors working right now.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion but whatever. Gylenhall's performance was better IMO because I fully, completly buy that Jack is stupidly in love with Ennis. And yes, his role was probably easier to play convincingly because of Jack's character, but I think Ledger underplayed the 'reserved/more scared Jack' aspect of Ennis too much. I don't trully buy he loves Jack as much as Jack loves him. The shirt is not enough to make up for me.

As for Thrylos, if you wanna come off as unbiased art-not-politics critic then using "awful" hyperbole with this movie ain't the way to do it. Not to mention that you hate Ang Lee because of....... a Hulk movie. whao sooooo important

In any case, regardless of any small flaws, it was Brokeback's Best Picture Oscar and everyone knows it

Edited by BobbyJohn
  • Like 1

One of the great romances that do not depend on who loves who. Would be a great movie without the homosexuality topic as well. Still wondering though who thought this was a realistic gay sex scene...

And I found Gylenhall to be the superior actor in this movie.

A-

Edited by ShouldIBeHere