CJohn

Weekend (8/10-12/12) Estimates: Bourne Legacy 40.3M; Campaign 27.4M; Hope Springs 15.6M

Of course Nikki with the sensationalist headline had to best everybody. I still want to read her write up, lol."My sources tell me Bourne is heading for a ..."Everybody is reporting weekend estimates but THR is the only one giving a Friday estimate.Come on Nikki let's see those Friday numbers.

Not buying $46-$48M opening. Too early and these aren't accounting for how word of mouth will hurt it.

Well that's Nikki she had to put that. She had to best everybody. As much as I want it to, I'd be really surprised if her numbers held for the weekend.

I think that we are going to start seeing "unusually" high increases/sunday drops sooner rather than later - OK schools have either already gone back or will on Monday most of TN was back this week and I know that my friends with kids are sending theirs in MO back to school next week as well.... school year effect is getting sooner every year

It's great to see Bourne off to such a good start. Hopefully this will propel Renner into the top tier of leading men. Critics are divided on it, but the Washington Post gave it a very positive review. I'll have to see it for myself to decide.

Oddly enough, I haven't liked the Bourne franchise for my own rather idiosyncratic reasons. When the first one came out I saw it while seriously ill in a hospital. Something about that experience rather unfairly turned me against Bourne and I never warmed to it. Unlike Terminator 2, which I first saw while in a morphine-induced haze after surgery and love to this day. I suppose the difference is that mainlining morphine made movie watching more enjoyable than Oxycontin did. B)

Dang, based on some of the comments here, sounds like the next one will be called The Bourne Backlash.

Anyway, solid early numbers, will be interesting to see how it pans out. Oh, and if TDKR does indeed get around $20M, excellent hold esp. against a movie I thought would take a fair amount of business away from it.

Universal should be very happy with that result; but the big question IS the legs. If people are just going for action, they're have Expendables 2 to go to.Great result for The Campaign; I went to a screening of it with Jay Roach as a guest and he even admitted and acknowledged that political-themed movies have been box office suicide. So a result like this, especially since it was apparently really cheap to make (Roach stated it was about $30M!).

Universal should be very happy with that result; but the big question IS the legs. If people are just going for action, they're have Expendables 2 to go to.

If people are just going for action they're gonna be in for a massive disappointment. There is a nice action scene thrown in, but you have to make it through the first 2 hours without falling asleep to get there.