Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-china-dark-knight-spider-man-prometheus-20120813,0,6246668.story

'Dark Knight,' 'Spider-Man,' 'Prometheus' to open close in China

Hollywood tentpoles "The Dark Knight Rises," "The Amazing Spider-Man" and "Prometheus" will all open in a single week in China as the communist country takes its most aggressive step yet to limit the box office of American imports.

Though it first became clear last month that the state-owned China Film Group intended to open the two superhero films on the same day, Warner Bros. had been lobbying to delay the release of its "Dark Knight Rises" until September. That effort failed, as both movies have now been officially dated for Aug. 27.

Adding to the competition for the limited number of screens and moviegoers' attention, China Film has dated the Ridley Scott-directed science-fiction movie "Prometheus" for Sept. 3, just one week later.

Executives at "Prometheus" studio 20th Century Fox, Warner and "Spider-Man" studio Sony Pictures are undoubtedly frustrated by China Film's decision, which could lower their box-office totals in the second biggest movie market in the world. None would speak publicly, however, for fear of offending officials there.

Came back today.The Cabin in the Woods is one of the best movies of the year and one of the best horror movies of all-time.The Expendables 2 is everything that I wanted and more.I don't want to talk about the box office, tbh, I am just sad.

Realistically is an Expendables 3 in jeopardy now? I mean a third film will probably be even more expensive

It did well in Russia. If it can compensate subpar Domestic performance with a better Overseas performance then TE3 can still happen. They will have to deal with the budget though as I don't think studio will let it exceed $100 million.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-china-dark-knight-spider-man-prometheus-20120813,0,6246668.story

Hollywood tentpoles "The Dark Knight Rises," "The Amazing Spider-Man" and "Prometheus" will all open in a single week in China as the communist country takes its most aggressive step yet to limit the box office of American imports.

Though it first became clear last month that the state-owned China Film Group intended to open the two superhero films on the same day, Warner Bros. had been lobbying to delay the release of its "Dark Knight Rises" until September. That effort failed, as both movies have now been officially dated for Aug. 27.

Adding to the competition for the limited number of screens and moviegoers' attention, China Film has dated the Ridley Scott-directed science-fiction movie "Prometheus" for Sept. 3, just one week later.

Executives at "Prometheus" studio 20th Century Fox, Warner and "Spider-Man" studio Sony Pictures are undoubtedly frustrated by China Film's decision, which could lower their box-office totals in the second biggest movie market in the world. None would speak publicly, however, for fear of offending officials there.

Authorities have been matching movies against each other in an effort to reduce their total ticket sales and limit the dominance of American movies at the box office so far this year.

http://www.latimes.c...0,6246668.story

Though it first became clear last month that the state-owned China Film Group intended to open the two superhero films on the same day, Warner Bros. had been lobbyingto delay the release of its "Dark Knight Rises" until September. That effort failed, as both movies have now been officially dated for Aug. 27.

Ugh, I'm sorry but China is such a damn backwards and out-dated country (in terms of their government). How can we even still have communism in 2012?

Ugh, I'm sorry but China is such a damn backwards and out-dated country (in terms of their government). How can we even still have communism in 2012?

Their treatment of American films doesn't really have anything to do with communism. They just don't want foreign films completely overshadowing their own film industry because their government has a huge nationalist pride boner. China isn't really a communist nation anymore. They make up their own rules as they go along now. Its more like very strict state controlled capitalism.I had to be insightful for our village idiot, Futurist. :D Edited by Shpongle