baumer

Lawrence of Arabia

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Ok so i had never seen this film before a week ago, but i found a copy at the library and decided to watch it. Which I did over 3 separate days cause it clocks in at 226 minutes. But let me start by saying even though it is the longest film i have ever watched, most of the film went by very quickly, and there were only a few slow parts. The length is justified because it has such a good story to tell, and we see Lawrence go from some nobody british leiutenant to one of the most influential men in Arabia, and sad thing is even after he survived all the fighting in Arabia he died in a tragic motorcycle accident. I have to say that Peter O Toole gives one of the best performances of all time, at times you feel his Lawrence is bold and threatining and at other times he comes off as almost feminine and you can really see how Lawrence is conflicted between his love and his loyalty for great britain and his love for his newfound friends the arabs. In addition I also felt that alec guiness(never would have known it was him until I looked up the movie) gave a great supporting role as prince feisal and Omar sharif was very good as Ali.So do I think Lawrence of Arabia is the best film of all time? No, but it certainly is a great one and I really wish they made more films like these today.AI'm really interested in what Telemachos has to say about the film because lawrence of arabia is his profile pic.

• Like 1

There is no doubt the old movies had some spectacular epic soundtracks.

This is a long movie but it is the epics of epics like Ben Hur. When you think of epic films you think of this film for sure.It is a spectacular tale of the Journey of Lawrence across Arabia.Peter gives an all time performance but the supporting characters give an amazing performances as well.Omar Sharrif is amazing, Anthony Quinn is just woh and Alec Guniness does a great job as well.A"I also felt that alec guiness(never would have known it was him until I looked up the movie)"When I first watched the movie I was like hey its Obi-Wan.He is likely spinning in his grave over that lol...

Ok so i had never seen this film before a week ago, but i found a copy at the library and decided to watch it. Which I did over 3 separate days cause it clocks in at 226 minutes. But let me start by saying even though it is the longest film i have ever watched, most of the film went by very quickly, and there were only a few slow parts. The length is justified because it has such a good story to tell, and we see Lawrence go from some nobody british leiutenant to one of the most influential men in Arabia, and sad thing is even after he survived all the fighting in Arabia he died in a tragic motorcycle accident.I have to say that Peter O Toole gives one of the best performances of all time, at times you feel his Lawrence is bold and threatining and at other times he comes off as almost feminine and you can really see how Lawrence is conflicted between his love and his loyalty for great britain and his love for his newfound friends the arabs. In addition I also felt that alec guiness(never would have known it was him until I looked up the movie) gave a great supporting role as prince feisal and Omar sharif was very good as Ali.So do I think Lawrence of Arabia is the best film of all time? No, but it certainly is a great one and I really wish they made more films like these today.AI'm really interested in what Telemachos has to say about the film because lawrence of arabia is his profile pic.

Ok so i had never seen this film before a week ago, but i found a copy at the library and decided to watch it. Which I did over 3 separate days cause it clocks in at 226 minutes. But let me start by saying even though it is the longest film i have ever watched, most of the film went by very quickly, and there were only a few slow parts. The length is justified because it has such a good story to tell, and we see Lawrence go from some nobody british leiutenant to one of the most influential men in Arabia, and sad thing is even after he survived all the fighting in Arabia he died in a tragic motorcycle accident.I have to say that Peter O Toole gives one of the best performances of all time, at times you feel his Lawrence is bold and threatining and at other times he comes off as almost feminine and you can really see how Lawrence is conflicted between his love and his loyalty for great britain and his love for his newfound friends the arabs. In addition I also felt that alec guiness(never would have known it was him until I looked up the movie) gave a great supporting role as prince feisal and Omar sharif was very good as Ali.So do I think Lawrence of Arabia is the best film of all time? No, but it certainly is a great one and I really wish they made more films like these today.AI'm really interested in what Telemachos has to say about the film because lawrence of arabia is his profile pic.

I think the tragic thing is that Lawrence never had any influence at all. He helped the Arabs to liberate themselves, but he remained powerless. The movie nicely shows his predicament.

Worth seeing on the big screen in 70mm if you ever get a chance. It's truly stunning.

Absolutely. That actually wound up being the way I first saw it. Some restored version that made the tours of the theaters in the mid-late 90s I think? Seeing it for the first time bigger than life like that made a huge impact on me. Sort of one of those "Ohhhhh... that's what all the fuss is about" moments. :)
  • Like 1

I haven't seen this in about 10 years but I just watched the restored HD version and Lawrence of Arabia is honestly a fucking miracle film. The sheer scale of it is probably unmatched to this day still. There are countless beautiful shots in this movie that you could frame on a wall and the score is incredible. There are also dozens of really memorable moments in this movie like that scene when that dude comes out of the desert and "Big things have small beginnings". Its hard to believe this thing came out in 1962. Unbelievable.11/10

• Like 1