pieman

Why does Ice Age play so well overseas?

To be fair, the third was pretty awesome fun.The first is excusable since it actually tried.The second and the fourth were dire. The third had dinosaurs so that can explain some of its BO, but the 2nd and 4th? Dirty amounts of undeserved money.

Dinosaurs are more important than Dragons in BO.

Pixar's movies aren't really comedies, at least not in the sense that Madagascar and Ice Age are.I feel a little patriotic thinking about this. Nice to know America still sticks with Pixar for the most part.

Edited by tribefan695

It's a perfect animation film for kid, you know. Got all the cute talking animals in a adventure of a world like a theme park. If you look at Madagascar, that seris did quite well OS as well. OS audience love this.

it can't be the talking animals alone in 2006Over The Hedge 53% OSIce Age2 70% OSthe Over The Hedge characters were lame and boring, if my memory serves me right.

Why are Ice Age movies popular OS? Well, first of all, they're 3D. We OS-people eat that shit up unlike you smart americans. Also they're easy to comprehend, flashy and colorful. We are easily distracted by moving colors

IA2 was not in 3DMad2 was not in 3D

Over the Hedge had a suburban American setting. That probably doesn't translate as well overseas as a prehistoric world inhabited almost entirely by talking animals.

I recently saw Up again. At the begning it is one of the best animated movies ever made. With the advent of the "talking" dogs it becomes mediocre at best.

I'm really dumbfounded by the success of the Ice Age series overseas. The newest one in the series was one of the worst excuses for family entertainment i've seen. The last one was bad enough so i was shocked that so many people came back for another one.

Culturally neutral family friendly tale about animals that takes audiences on big spectacle adventures. Make sense? I don't know how much bad scripts matter when you're dubbing new languages in.

I recently saw Up again. At the begning it is one of the best animated movies ever made. With the advent of the "talking" dogs it becomes mediocre at best.

To some of us, the talking dogs made it epic. Up was probably the best animated movie since Finding Nemo in terms of hitting all audiences as strongly as it did.

Well...they increased with each film, OS-wise...even if IA4 had a small increase from IA3.

Now with the 5th one coming next year, and with China as an advantage....it could likely have a considerate increase again.

There is something about this franchise that keeps them coming back....and one of them is Scrat.

One word: SCRAT

That really is the answer as far as I can tell, crazy as that may be. The character just has universal and mass appeal like few other characters in animated feature history. His popularity is more akin to a classic cartoon Looney Tunes or Disney character like Mickey or Bugs. Aside from that, the movies are decent (except the 2nd) and have pretty relatable stories for all cultures.

• Like 1

IA5 prediction:

150 DOM

750 OS

Total: 900 WW

The increase from IA4 will not be that much IMO, maybe 70 million more max (if not a decline DOM)

Well...IA4 made $67M in China....3 years ago..

With the way chinese markets are now......i don't see where IA5 doesn't get a bigger increase.

Well...IA4 made $67M in China....3 years ago..

With the way chinese markets are now......i don't see where IA5 doesn't get a bigger increase.

Yea that's counted in my 750OS prediction (I gave it a 30m increase from the last one)

I have a theory the new DM/Minions is the new IA franchise OS and that the IA popularity may have waned a bit, not by a big margin at all, but to me DM filled a slapstick gap and is a much better franchise IMO in the way kids identify with the characters and more parents do as well, so that's why I see the IA3 versus IA4 small increase (as opposed to DM2 - Minions) in that IA may have reached its peak.

Also, time is a factor. 4 years between films is not so long, but Illumination seem to be more consistent in churning out films in the series every 2 years. Might be a factor in play. Or not.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1