Neo

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. | August 14, 2015 | Comic-Con Trailer on Page 21!

I was surprisingly into this for the first two acts. The three leads played well off of each other. First time I've seen anything to remember from Hammer or Cavill's acting. Some nifty scenes that were unexpected and fresh for the genre and the plot was unfolding nicely. Had some big problems with the third act though. The plot turns felt a little too pat and I was mistakenly hoping it was leading to something more intriguing than what it was. Then Ritchie's over-indulgence in his stylistic flourishes manifested in a big way in that last act. There was one action/chase scene near the end that was just a disaster of execution. Too bad, this could have been a real hidden gem for me if it had delivered on the promising first two acts. Although it still ended up being better than it looked.

• Like 1

....The three leads played well off of each other.....  that were unexpected and fresh for the genre and the plot was unfolding nicely. .....

Saw it yesterday, liked it very much.

Took my son with me, he didn't saw any trailer or... he liked it too, wants even to rewatch it with his friends, what is a rare thing for him. We asked around, no one saw any advertising for it, no trailer.... neither = without my interest into BO... we wouldn't even have known about it.

Whst is fun IMHO:

the original series ('64-'68) spawned a lot of other series (those too many newly created series were seemingly the main reason they cancelled the series then, beside being very successful, but expensive as e.g. filmed with color), including IMHO the original Mission Impossible tv-series ('66-?)

UNCLE catched IMHO very good the original TV-series IMHO rather very unique ideas, style,.... and beside it being filmed like being in the early '60 it felt as fresh as it felt then as I watched some episodes in '67/'68 as it got released here in my country.

The TV-series-box' price is insane!!!

Btw, UNCLE opened ~ 10% less admissins as MI% had opened 1 week earlier in Russia, means both movies are running there more or less at the same time. MI5 fell 59% = #2

Hmm, about (actual) superhero actors not drawing in other movies...

what's about Hugh Jackman? As far as I know the US audience wasn't aware about him before X-Men 1 (I knew him from Erskineville Kings, still my favorite role/work from him)

I am aware about not all of his movies draw, but to draw a movie should also have a certain minimum qualtiy or hit at least a little bit the Zeitgeist...

Cavill is just another Chris Evans, Hemsworth, and Tom Holland, Cumberbatch, Gadot and the dude that plays Black Panther will join the list soon. These people can't open a movie.

I will disagree in Evans. I feel at this point if he did a action/sci-fi whatever that was in the publics vision. I feel like he could open it. He's been sticking to smaller projects outside of Cap so we really don't know

• Like 1

Hmm, about (actual) superhero actors not drawing in other movies...

what's about Hugh Jackman? As far as I know the US audience wasn't aware about him before X-Men 1 (I knew him from Erskineville Kings, still my favorite role/work from him)

I am aware about not all of his movies draw, but to draw a movie should also have a certain minimum qualtiy or hit at least a little bit the Zeitgeist...

Prisoners, Les Miserables and perhaps Real Steel would be the only ones I think were hits but Prisoners also had Jake Gyllenhaal as co-lead and Les Miserables was based on a hugely successful musical and also had other big names. 

Edited by Jonwo

Prisoner, Les Miserables and perhaps Real Steel would be the only ones I think were hits but Prisoners also had Jake Gyllenhaal as co-lead and Les Miserables was based on a hugely successful musical and also had other big names. 

The Prestige made money too.

Les Miserables - but not as the lead (males), Jean Valjean is 'The' central character.

I am not into romance, but some women I know love (and know him for) his romance movies,

E.g.

They bought it mostly as DVD as for some reasons (some scandal?) a lot seem to have missed it in the cinema then. Or so. Not a movie for me

The only reason I am aware about that is, 'Sabertooth' the second version was also in it.

He did also rather very successful broadway musicals (Tony's...) too, including The Tony's (and Oscars) itself and I hear a lot of praise like he can do anything.

Even Mojo (IMHO not really THE site if it is about e.g. musicals, stage work...) e.g. doesn't count him in for 'actors who can sing surprise', Collider, ... also 'cultural' sites... all speak only in the highest tones

What I meant is:

the posts were saying not a lot of SH actors are able too lay down the 'only super-hero-roles' fame, getting a name for something else.

I think Hugh Jackman does not belong into that group and as such is an example for an actor who started in the US as a SH actor (he started as an TV- and movie actor and stage-musical singer-actor in AUS, got casted in UK's Westend... before his US debut)

The first that comes to mind isn't that is the guy who plays Wolveriine, or ;) 

Hmm I'll try to citade Collider ~

most SH-actors you see and think = character XY - HJ managed to be still HJ out of his versatility

E.g. The Fountain wasn't a BO success, but I know a lot of people being aware it is him on the poster.

Or Australia, or.... even as Van Helsing

Yep, I think that is the difference I tried to formulate, he isn't only the guy who plays Wolverine beside playing it now for 15 years (last one will be 17y) for around 6 times (plus probably 2 times)

= a lot more often than the most SH-actors repeat their roles and as such it might even be more difficult to be somkething else too

grumbl grumbl, thinking thinking - do cameos count, if as prominent as in the First Class or not?

Curious about Pan, if successful, will that add to that?

I think he will do a big break (bigger than typical for him), after he finally can stop to train how many hours a day for Wolverine 3? and having to take medicaments / surgery (twice) in his battle against skin cancer at the same time. And filming and doing promo and...

His first filmed movie role (2nd released) is still my favorite

If you look sharp you might recognise another Aussie now well known and even actual in the top ten

writer-director-actor of 'The Gift' = Joel Edgerton

Never was that sad about a movie's underperformance :(bawl.gifbawl.gif

even more than Girl with the Dragon Tattoo back then

I won't get a sequelbawl.gif

I wish some of our local producers just took over & went for it! (instead of giving money to Machete or some sh)

eh at leat I have fan art! :wub:

tumblr_ntdzlpL0bO1qayav6o1_540.jpg

Edited by Lady of Lorien
  • Like 1

Would this have done better if the title was different? Name recognition is useless when most people who recognize the name are in retirement homes. 

I think they should have created another kind of advertising mostly

How many people are even aware about this (already mentioned, but now with a kind of numer - citation):

U.N.C.L.E. had spawned a swarm of imitators. In 1964, it was the only American spy show on U.S. TV; by 1966, there were nearly a dozen...

One of those was the original MI TV-series' the today's movie series Mission Impossible is based on.

What I find ... annoying is, some 'reviewers' complain about 'nothing new...' without seemingly knowing (at least they do not even mention it) that UNCLE is the source / start for a lot of spy/action/... TV-series and movies with a bit of a twist and a certain humor - in opposition to movies like e.g. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965)

To me it was a fresh appearing movie... that I like enough to recommend to others (too bad so many here are actually out of the country  :unsure:  ).

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Serves you right.

I dunno if you're being negative but it's actually pretty great when someone you disliked proves you wrong, ups their game and does something good. I'm glad he has finally made a decent movie. :)