Neo

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. | August 14, 2015 | Comic-Con Trailer on Page 21!

Copied from what I posted in the weekend thread:

Just saw UNCLE (we didn't get Compton). Not great but not bad either. Cavill and Hammer are so great when they are together, and I loved every minute of when they were on screen. The movie is super stylish and I love how it acted so self-confident; however, some of that confidence got a bit out of hand especially during the final act, and I think Ritchie made a few missteps in his direction.

Just an example of something that threw me off guard (no major spoiler but I'll put tags anyways) 

that whole chase sequence on the island near the end. From the air, you see that it's just some small island with a few buildings. But during that chase, it turns into some vast landscape filled with mountains and valleys and forests.

As a film, nothing happened that I didn't already expect, and the twists weren't all that surprising. But the film had lots of potential, and it almost works.

C+

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

Just an example of something that threw me off guard (no major spoiler but I'll put tags anyways) 

that whole chase sequence on the island near the end. From the air, you see that it's just some small island with a few buildings. But during that chase, it turns into some vast landscape filled with mountains and valleys and forests.

Yeah I noticed that too, threw me for a second too. But they did drive through a tunnel so I will imagine the tunnel goes all the way between the places.

Yeah I noticed that too, threw me for a second too. But they did drive through a tunnel so I will imagine the tunnel goes all the way between the places.

Completely went over my head! :) Not sure but sounds like that could probably be it.

I liked it a lot.

Good chemistry (I liked Hammer the most), a strong sense of style and direction, and a nice story twist or two.

Really loved the '60s aesthetic and the use of music in this one.

Definitely would want to watch this again.

3/4

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 3

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of Guy Ritchie's work but I do respect him for his distinctiveness. I do, however, consider myself a fan of the cast (especially Vikander and Cavill) so I do hope this at least breaks even in some form. Original films, which this practically is despite being a reboot, are so difficult to market because you need a rabid fan base drooling and commenting on social media. UNCLE obviously doesn't have the fan base and the main cast are all still young up-and-comers, so... yeah, I don't expect this to be remotely successful, but we'll see.

• Like 1

not good. sad that society chose a movie about rappers instead of good old fashioned spy movie. Though the rapper movie will only make business in the States elsewhere it will fall on its face.

I am pretty sure that Straight Outta Compton will earn more in the U.S. than The Man from U.N.C.L.E. earns everywhere. 

• Like 1

The black music movie that robbed UNCLE this week is for people even older than I am - and they use exactly this kind of language.

UNCLE would have been debuted weak regardless of whether or not NWA came out the same weekend.

I'm not sure why you would have that impression about the location of the final chase.

I thought it was pretty clear. They showed overhead photographs plus they showed the cars driving across it. The island was connected to the mainland via a causeway. The final chase was on the mainland.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1