The King's Speech

37 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The King's Speech

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

"It's true, I'm not a doctor. And yes, I acted. A bit. Well...I recited in pubs, I taught elocution in schools. When the Great War came, all our soldiers were returning to Australia from the front, a lot of them shell-shocked, unable to speak. Somebody said, "Lionel, you're very good at all this speech stuff, you think you could possibly help these poor buggers?" I did muscle therapy, exercises, relaxation, but I knew I had to go deeper. Those poor young blokes cried out in fear and n one was listening to them. My job was to give them faith in their own voice, and let them know a friend was listening."

• Like 6

Re-watched recently and still great. 

There is no voyeurism about it - even in the very private moments shown, such as the two Princesses with their father.

It also is a great portray of those horrible days leading up to the outbreak of war in Europe. A very unique and narrow portray - but all the more interesting.

I tear up every time the declaration of war is announced.

Stellar performances.

A

Just rewatched it for the first time since theaters. The performances are great, the script is pretty sharp, if formulaic, and the cinematography is cool. I like it even if I was on team Social Network. Good fun with an interesting structure makes this one of the better Best Picture winners in recent memory. A

TKS is a good movie, but it still drives me nuts how it won BP, and Tom Hooper won BD, over The Social Network/David Fincher and Black Swan/Darren Aronofsky.  TKS is such a typical, safe and paint by the numbers movie and directing pick by the academy...but TSN and BS are so much more memorable and arguably top ten of the decade so far.

The academy is known for picking the typical safe movie for bp, but the best director win is probably worse - every other director nominated did more and had more of an impact on their movie than Hooper did with TKS…TKS could have been directed by anyone and been just as good. Which is why no one knew who Hooper was before and no one knows who he is now.

Oh well…if this helped 5 years later give us Kingsman Firth and that church scene then so be it lol

Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

Loved it, Firth gave gave a powerhouse performance and his friendship with Lionel felt incredibly real. The speech scene was breathtaking and made me tear up a bit, just a majestic piece of cinema all-around. I was also surprised by how effective the humor was in the movie. 95/100