The King's Speech

37 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The King's Speech

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Strong performances can only go so far in a film that has a boring, uninspired script that never takes any risks. Completely undeserved to win Best Picture, but that's become the norm with the Academy. CAt least it was better than The Hurt Locker.

This was definitely a very underwhelming film.Yeah, yeah, Colin Firth was quite good (although, I still prefer James Frano in 127 Hours) and Geoffrey Rush is Geoffrey Rush, but the film falls completely flat. Helena Bonham Carter is given such a tiny role I can hardly believe she was nominated for best supporting actress, and I didn't care for how little attention they gave to the relationship between Firth and his brother.I can understand why this won the Academy Award for Best Picture given their history, but what really confuses me is why this movie made so much damn money. Tres dull.

• Like 1

It was well acted, and a lot of funny dialogue put in there as well, and I loved the cinematography and production design of the movie, in that they actually reflected the story in a way, you can tell it's good when it does that. Though I must admit the story comes across as a bit mundane and formulaic.

One thing I liked in particular was that they didn't linger on the "liar revealed" plot twist for too long like a lot of movies tend to do. Firth's character almost immediately recognized that it didn't matter whether Rush was a real therapist.

True. Actually, those plot points do piss me off a little bit. Always takes the movie away from the central conflict way too long.

I wasn't in love with it when I first saw it in theaters, but after watching it a second time, I completely fell in love. It's far from perfect, but with this story matter, making me laugh as much as I did was a triumph. The camera work was really effective throughout, and Colin was excellent, of course. I still prefer him in A Single Man, though. I actually loved the score, one of Desplat's better in recent years.A-

Edited by acsc1312

That's a real feel-good film; saw this again on BR (it gets a bit overlooked but it also features splendid camerawork and lighting, definitely worth being watched in HD). You root for the (to-be) king, for his wife, for the therapist ... actually, what's missing here is a little tension. Every little problem or possible conflict gets smoothed out rather too quickly. But that's a minor gripe.

• Like 1

Simply loved this movie. Saw it for about three or four times now and it doesn't get boring at all.

Can't decide whether this or The Social Network deserved Best Picture, but they surely are two solid movies.

I have seen it twice it much more for the older crowd and people who like historical movies.

The reason it became a big hit is because it was a massive hit in the English Speaking countries, Canada, US, UK and Australia.

Edited by Lordmandeep