71 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

So I saw this the other day. It's not as good as the rating suggests. I did enjoy Brothers Bloom more.

I don't believe it's as strong as Inception either despite JGL being fantastic. Piper should've been given more.

Blunt is alright, but I don't think she's had a definitive role at all yet, pretty forgettable.

The story is done quite well but it lacks something. I get that the farm was needed for a lower budget but it still comes across as boring. I know it's a pretty lame critique but it just doesn't transcend when so much of it takes place in a very ordinary place with nondescript cinematography.

I loved the last 30 minutes of it Pierce Gagnon, the young kid Cid, was simply incredible. He gave imo the best performance of the film. He cna't be more than 10 years old but his anger and his evil and his frustration really shines in here. There were times I was genuinely frightened for the characters with him around. I found some of this to be uneven and oddly paced and then some of it to be absolutely fantastic. 7/10The last 20 minutes or so is a 10/10

The obvious paradox is that if JGL shot himself, Bruce Willis would never have existed, even/especially within the internal logic of a loop. But it's fine, you go with it if the emotional core of the scene resonates.

So after JGL-Joe's suicide, do Blunt/Coinmaker completely forget any memory of Bruce Willis-Joe?

So after JGL-Joe's suicide, do Blunt/Coinmaker completely forget any memory of Bruce Willis-Joe?

As far as I could tell, no. Everything they went through still stands. In shooting himself, JGL simply created a new timeline - which throws up a million more questions but for the sake of the movie is enough of a resolution.
  • Like 1

I think the thing that everyone is having a problem with, is that Old/Young Joe existed in the same timeline together.

Everything up until Young Joe shoots himself happened and will be remembered by everyone involved. It's the events that happen after that that change.

A note: I've always had protective parents, and I turned 17 in July. This was my first "hard-R" movie, so I'm still kind of reeling from the various deaths and honestly the most disturbing scene I've ever seen in a movie so far in my life (how they ended Seth's loop.)

That said, I liked it. The action was good, and it was very tense throughout the entire movie. Great performances around. I loved the premise going in, and I feel like the way Johnson explored his themes were very satisfying. I liked the ending, but on the way back home, my brother and I started pointing out the paradoxes. Overall though, it was great.

A

First, I loved it, surprise movie of the year so far for me. Second, I know there's a lot going on and I definitely need to see this again, but am I the only one (I say that cause I haven't seen this mentioned in the last 5 pages) that thought JGL basically may have slept with his mom and there was a hint that JGL was also the kid/rainmaker? But the changes he makes in each loop/parallel reality alters that by the time the end of the movie happens? Basically I need to go see this again soon :lol:

Edited by FTF

First, I loved it, surprise movie of the year so far for me. Second, I know there's a lot going on and I definitely need to see this again, but am I the only one (I say that cause I haven't seen this mentioned in the last 5 pages) that thought JGL basically may have slept with his mom and there was a hint that JGL was also the kid/rainmaker? But the changes he makes in each loop/parallel reality alters that by the time the end of the movie happens?Basically I need to go see this again soon :lol:

You aren't the only one that thought he was the kid, but that is way wrong!I do believe you need to see it again.

You aren't the only one that thought he was the kid, but that is way wrong!I do believe you need to see it again.

I second that motion. I have no idea how you could get that impression. Edited by DeeCee

I'm not saying that I thought he was the kid, I'm just saying they seem to hint at it enough to open the door up for discussion...it's basically the end voice over monologue by Joe/JGL that hints at this possibility, especially the similarities to Joe talking about being alone and crying on a train as a kid and them also showing cid on a train in a similar situation.

I'm not saying that I thought he was the kid, I'm just saying they seem to hint at it enough to open the door up for discussion...it's basically the end voice over monologue by Joe/JGL that hints at this possibility, especially the similarities to Joe talking about being alone and crying on a train as a kid and them also showing cid on a train in a similar situation.

I thought for a second, but it's quickly dismissed. The exposition is explaining what would happen to Cid, nothing more, nothing less. No movie is going to have incest and think it's cool. Plus, JGL has no TK abilities and Rainmaker and Bruce exist at the same time, so obviously it can't be him.

Think JGL was thinking, based on how he grew up without parents, and very angry, he could see why the kid could grow up that way....and how much the loving mother could make a difference, to stop the kid from becoming pure evil in the future.That is what I got based on 1 viewing.

This is obviously a movie that needs multiple viewings, but I came to love this movie faster than Inception. Maybe it's because I'm 15, not 13 now and I can process more in a single viewing, or maybe it's because the characters and story were more emotionally engaging. Still, I was absolutely glued to my seat for the entire two hours and I was surprised at how well it executed its huge ambition. As far as time travel movies go at least.

My 2nd favourite movie of the year behind TDKR, A.

• Like 1