John Marston

Jurassic Park or Avatar?

If you value such things as story, characters, and originality in films, then the answer is easily Jurassic Park.

If you think that a movie merely needs to "look cool and unique" to be a good movie, then go with Avatar.

What is "original"? Jurassic Park is an adaptation of Michael Crichton's book...

It's not like dinosaurs never appeared on screen before.

No, Jurassic Park got cool looking dinosaurs thanks to VFX progress, just like Avatar got cool looking visuals thanks to VFX progress. It's the same.

The big difference is Jurassic Park has actually human characters with personality, and characters that were somewhat relatable.

Avatar was about visuals, and offered little to nothing else.  I'd rather watch a film where I hated a character, because at least it makes me feel some kind of emotion.  With Avatar I simply didn't give a rat's ass about what happened to any of the characters.  It's one thing to use a contrived story, but it's another to not even attempt to provide any emotional investment in the characters.

I find Avatar to be incredibly mediocore, and insanely overrated.

Edited by mattmav45

You hate Avatar so it gave you emotions.

"I find Avatar to be incredibly mediocore, and insanely overrated."  Sounds like indifference to me.   ;)

I've said it before..........there's nothing worse to be than indifferent towards a film.  I'd prefer to love or hate it rather than simply not caring about it one way or the other.

The big difference is Jurassic Park has actually human characters with personality, and characters that were somewhat relatable.Avatar was about visuals, and offered little to nothing else. I'd rather watch a film where I hated a character, because at least it makes me feel some kind of emotion. With Avatar I simply didn't give a rat's ass about what happened to any of the characters. It's one thing to use a contrived story, but it's another to not even attempt to provide any emotional investment in the characters.I find Avatar to be incredibly mediocore, and insanely overrated.

I know what you mean, Avatar isn't a film known for its great characters and nor does it ever really try to be, but using it as an argument for Jurassic Park being the better movie is silly seeing as the characters in JP are hardly memorable. Except Jeff Goldblum, but hey that's just Jeff being Jeff. Also both films are about as original as each other, in other words, not very.Visually Avatar arguably had more originality. Every animal, plant and insects had to be created from scratch, including the landscapes that simply don't exist in this world. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

I know what you mean, Avatar isn't a film known for its great characters and nor does it ever really try to be, but using it as an argument for Jurassic Park being the better movie is silly seeing as the characters in JP are hardly memorable. Except Jeff Goldblum, but hey that's just Jeff being Jeff. Also both films are about as original as each other, in other words, not very.

DIsagree, find Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum characters to be more likeable and memorable than any Avatar characters.

Hell this guy was more likeable and memorable than all the Avatar characters combined. I was so sad when he died!

Posted Image

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Jurassic Park is one of the few movies where I didn't find the little kids to be completely annoying.  They were very believable unlike that War of the Worlds crap where I wanted to hit Dakota Fanning upside the head with a book.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 2

Jurassic Park has better humor and a lot of really terrific scenes, but I take points off for the characters acting like complete morons for much of the second half and the fair amount of padding the film employs. Avatar may not have the most memorable characters but it's overall a much more transcending experience, imo.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1