John Marston

Jurassic Park or Avatar?

Avatar. JP effects are iconic but characters were awful and kids so freakin annoying I wished Rex ate them. I was bored by that movie to be honest. It`s a classic but, yeah, kids really grated and I`ve never been a fan of R Kelly Goldblum.

The kids were really annoying. I'll give you that.

Avatar. Watch JP again. I think it's another case of nostalgia overriding the truth. It's a decent film, but the sense of wonder it once held is gone. Beneath the amazing VFX (for the time), it's really not that great of a movie at the filmmaking level. Same applies for Avatar, but it at least still blows my mind with the ridiculous visuals presented. I actually tried watching JP a week ago...couldn't get through more than an hour. Differing tastes, I guess.

• Like 1

Take your Stallone goggles off Algren, they were awful.

But if you're able to watch the film at all, then the kids are fine. It's not a case of Jurassic Park, where the kids can be tolerated because the other visuals and story is good. In Spy Kids 3D, if you hate the kids, you don't watch the movie, because they are the movie. I can watch Spy Kids 3D perfectly well, so the kids are not annoying at all.

It is a difficult decision. These are not the best movies of each one. Cameron is a good "showman", but nothing more. And, in my opinion, Jurassic Park is not in top 10 of Spielberg's films. I do not say JP is a bad movie. I like it, but I prefer another Spielberg movies. I choose Avatar. I think it is not as bad as many think

JP...easily. Avatar, while technically brilliant, just had a feeling of been there, done that, even though it was original per say, it didn't feel original. JP was an experience that felt new from beginning to end.

• Like 2

Avatar. Watch JP again. I think it's another case of nostalgia overriding the truth. It's a decent film, but the sense of wonder it once held is gone. Beneath the amazing VFX (for the time), it's really not that great of a movie at the filmmaking level. Same applies for Avatar, but it at least still blows my mind with the ridiculous visuals presented. I actually tried watching JP a week ago...couldn't get through more than an hour. Differing tastes, I guess.

My prolbem with Avatar has always been the uncanny valley effect - my brain can never quite process whether it's watching live-action or animation and it detracts from getting into the story.Onc could argue with both Avatar and JP that the plots were merely vehicles for the special effects, but I think the moments of atmosphere JP does manage to capture surpass anything in Avatar. The first T-Rex appearence, for instance, still looks and feels great today. Edited by Hatebox

I think it's another case of nostalgia overriding the truth

That has happened to me a lot, but in this case I think it's not present, and even if it is, what of it? Nostalgia is just as much a part of enjoyment in a film as is the plot or characters. I enjoy Jurassic Park because it's not only a great film but it reminds me of a time when I really enjoyed going to the movies, and one of the rare times I was with my mum.

But in terms of nostalgia changing a perception of a film, well that has happened to me on occasion and when I return to a film years after first watching it, it's not usually as good. On the flipside, I have watched movies when I was about eight years old, like F.I.S.T. and Paradise Alley, and they were wasted on me, but watching them as an adult, I loved them.

Oh, I'm definitely swayed by the fact that JP came out in my movie going prime. But if you want to throw another technical marvel(of its time) in there that was before my prime then it would still be eons better.Star Wars>JP>AvatarDo I see Avatar holding up like SW and JP? The easy answer is no.

• Like 2