Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Not uncommon for WB though they never did it to a movie til now. But they infamously splurged 35M on GOT:Bloodmoon pilot only to shelve it so that even GRRM couldn't see what they shot because "it didn't grab [us] like GOT pilot did". So it makes sense that Batgirl thing happened cause there was history leading up to it. Everything is connected. You cancel 35M pilot, you inevitably end up cancelling a 90M movie. And so on.

They then spent god knows how much on another GOT show in House of Dragons and most likely others (including the John Snow 1). This 1 seems pretty dramatic to just can.   

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If boy condescending you mean I think a lot of people here don;t know the first thing about the business world, you are right.

Scrapping films, tv shows when they are well into production is not a good long term business strategy in production as it means talent is less likely to work with you in the future which is a major problem for WBD globally right now (including here in Australia/New Zealand which I have 1st and 2nd hand knowledge)

Also in terms of running a business and being profitable WBDs debt is close to double their market cap right now which is not great, streaming growth from both Discovery and HBO has been low, cable continues to decline, theatrical they are doing ok but far from great so they are cutting costs for short term profits without looking at long term health of the company. 

There have been numerous public stories about this be it the Clint Eastwood stuff, JJ Abrams etc. this is just the most recent one to come out, Zaslav clearly wants to rely on unscripted to keep costs down and that is bad news for the Warner brands (hopefully HBO is exempt) long term.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

They then spent god knows how much on another GOT show in House of Dragons and most likely others (including the John Snow 1). This 1 seems pretty dramatic to just can.   

doesn't matter. It shows a tendency and tendency happens to escalate. My point is that this happened at WB because it already happened at WB only on TV side. It doesn't matter whether you flush 35M cause you have other projects to offset it or not, you flushed 35M. Next time you'll flush 70M (they have other DC projects to offset it). 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

doesn't matter. It shows a tendency and tendency happens to escalate. My point is that this happened at WB because it already happened at WB only on TV side. It doesn't matter whether you flush 35M cause you have other projects to offset it or not, you flushed 35M. Next time you'll flush 90M (they have other DC projects to offset it). 

Its a TV pilot. they make them all the time and they don't go forward with it. Its not even remotely the same as a feature film that is basically finished and about to be released and suddenly does not even get a streaming release.

You really going to compare a tv pilot (I think they did 3 GOT shows at the start before moving forward with 1) with a feature movie? I could name 1000s of tv pilots that dont go forward. I cant name many 90M feature films that dont get ANY release despite nearly being ready to do so. Some movies might get canned half way through or when its going to cost a lot to finish it. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

People are freaking out as per usual. The likes of Dune are safe, it is films which probably are mediocre at best which are getting canned. 

Yep, this. If Batgirl is bad than their reasoning was probably that losing 70M >>>> polluting the brand. They had a pretty good run with SS2 (boxoffice bomb but a critical hit + Peacemaker is a hit), Snydercut and The Batman, probably have faith in upcoming lineup as well. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yep, this. If Batgirl is bad than their reasoning was probably that losing 70M >>>> polluting the brand. They had a pretty good run with SS2 (boxoffice bomb but a critical hit + Peacemaker is a hit), Snydercut and The Batman, probably have faith in upcoming lineup as well. 

The scrapping of the Scoob sequel is rather telling as well. Probably they took one look at it, realised it was not good and pulled the plug. 

4 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Its a TV pilot. they make them all the time and they don't go forward with it.

Yes that is business as usual exept when the pilot costs a fortune. Which 35M is in pilot terms. That's why it was unusual at the time that they shelved it rather than salvage it and is a tenency that led to this. If you can cancel an expensive pilot you can cancel a mid budget movie. I'm just saying it isn't a coincidence that it happened at this studio as opposed to a different one. Nothing conroversial here unless there's partuclar narrative you want to pursue that TV example somehow contradicts. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Yes that is business as usual exect when the pilot costs a fortune. Which 35M is in pilot terms. That's why it was unusual at the time that they shelved it rather than salvage it and is a tenency that led to this. If you can cancel an expensive pilot you can cancel a mid budget movie. I'm just saying it isn't a coincidence that it happened at this studio as opposed to a different one. Nothing conroversial here unless there's partuclar narrative you want to pursue that TV example somehow contradicts. 

HBO also completely reshot the GOT pilot back in 2009 or 2010.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The scrapping of the Scoob sequel is rather telling as well. Probably they took one look at it, realised it was not good and pulled the plug. 

Agreed. If TPTB think a product in unsalvageable (additional money won't fix it) they pull the plug. They aren't always right. Sometimes they are in disbelief what they have on their hands only to find out that audeince and critics don't share that opinion. But most likely that things they deemed bad are in fact very bad. 

Re: reshooting GOT pilot - likely because they saw it had potential but needed polishing. It wasn't beyond salvation. Unlike these other projects.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Yes that is business as usual exect when the pilot costs a fortune. Which 35M is in pilot terms. That's why it was unusual at the time that they shelved it rather than salvage it and is a tenency that led to this. If you can cancel an expensive pilot you can cancel a mid budget movie. I'm just saying it isn't a coincidence that it happened at this studio as opposed to a different one. Nothing conroversial here unless there's partuclar narrative you want to pursue that TV example somehow contradicts. 

GOT had many tv show ideas after the ending. They were not going to go ahead with all of them. So cancelling the only 1 they were going to do after it cost 35M would have been controversial. However they had I think 3 they were looking into. House of Dragons is the 1 they chose.