Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Ya I won’t really believe anything till I see what “the plan” is, and see that they’re actually following through. I’m most interested in seeing who is gonna be running DC studios. 

What I want to know is where the money for "the plan " is coming from, since money is going to be scare at WB for the next couplle of years at least.WB is going to have to cut some projects to fund others for the foresseable future. It con's spend like it has in the past.

I am losing faith in Zasleb, though for opposite reasons then most people in the this thread hate him.

8 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

True Paramount did rather well this quarter. I think though that Nick and Disney are just far larger draws than CN. 

It's a sign of how things have changed that Paramount studios overall are in better shape then Warners at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think we'll still see the odd DC film that are more like Joker or The Batman and probably they'll use WAG as a way to create films with lesser known characters like the Metal Men. 

I mean they said kids content is receiving a cut, totally think a lot of WAG projects are part of that cut.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What I want to know is where the money for "the plan " is coming from, since money is going to be scare at WB for the next couplle of years at least.WB is going to have to cut some projects to fund others for the foresseable future. It con's spend like it has in the past.

I am losing faith in Zasleb, though for opposite reasons then most people in the this thread hate him.

I think the broad picture is that they are cutting  different avenues and not increasing budgets for anything that they are keeping on the Warner side. There’s likely 0 expansion for DC. The plan, whatever it is, probably isn’t some expansive explosion of content. Maybe a movie or 2 a year. Maybe a tv show here and there. 

• They’re going through HBO Max and are deciding on whether what stays exclusive and what doesn’t.
  • UK people - they’re keeping the Sky deal until 2025. Buying that out early is not gonna happen.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

Honestly I think copying Marvel, even if it stumbled previously, makes a good amount of sense. The way the MCU is run is far from perfect, but fans are still "forced" (yes I know some people don’t watch every movie) to see movies and characters they may not care about to follow what’s going on and there’s all these fun and exciting teases for the big crossover event that gets you invested in the whole piece, even when there is a crummy film here and there. People love crossovers and characters popping up in cameos and stuff (Smash Bros. and Multiversus show that). It can be annoying and cynical for sure, especially with the Disney+ shows now part of the homework and the MCU’s recent hiccups with their movies, but it clearly works.

Now, each DC character/franchise basically has their own little universe, which in turn means their own fanbase. Which is kind of true of the MCU granted, but the broad DCEU fandom that watches everything isn’t really that potent and I don’t really see much of an intersection from fanbase to fanbase. I’m not saying they have to restore the Snyderverse or whatever, and standalone stuff like Joker obviously works, but there’s also demand and interest in seeing  shared universes that feel like a universe and have characters crossover and pop up during certain adventures. So DC going stand-alone with their characters, putting them in their own little sandboxes, and not having something exciting to build up towards feels like a huge missed opportunity they are wasting on.

It says a lot that during the Black Adam Comic-Con panel, there was way more excitement over the idea of Henry Cavill appearing as Superman in the Black Adam movie than anything that was revealed in the Black Adam movie itself. And I don’t think this is just a “Twitter bubble” or “Snyder cult” thing.

Black Adam is going to be a good test if DC can take a lesser known charecter and get a hit movie the way that Marvel has been able to do.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Black Adam is going to be a good test if DC can take a lesser known charecter and get a hit movie the way that Marvel has been able to do.

I don’t think paying 25m + royalties for the lead actor is going to be a sustainable way to launch new lesser known characters. 

4 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I think the broad picture is that they are cutting  different avenues and not increasing budgets for anything that they are keeping on the Warner side. There’s likely 0 expansion for DC. The plan, whatever it is, probably isn’t some expansive explosion of content. Maybe a movie or 2 a year. Maybe a tv show here and there. 

That is the real "Plan". And probably the only one possible till the D word is paid down.

I just wish Zaslev wold be more honest with the shareholders and not indulge in the PR BS he is spouting.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean they said kids content is receiving a cut, totally think a lot of WAG projects are part of that cut.

The fact they want to make Animation its own thing theatrically makes me think it's going to be mostly going to be the TV and DTV side that bears the brunt.

TBH I know DC is what drives conversation here and elsewhere but WAG is more need of revamping because the focus on using existing IP isn't working although TBF Super Pets while not doing great box office wise is a return to form for WAG and is more like their previous animated films like Smallfoot and Storks. They need someone who can make the Warner Animation brand stand out against Disney, Pixar and Illumination and focus on original ideas that hark back to the WBA history and not just be a IP farm. I'd go far as say they should drop WAG as a brand and go for Warner Bros Animation. 

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I don’t think paying 25m + royalties for the lead actor is going to be a sustainable way to launch new lesser known characters. 

Good point.

BLack Adam might do well becuase of the Rock; let's see how DC does with a lesser known charecter who does not have a big draw playing him.

Though I think lesser know DC CHarecters in DC Theatrical movies is going to be a thing of the past for the next couple of years.

5 minutes ago, AJG said:
  • They’re going through HBO Max and are deciding on whether what stays exclusive and what doesn’t.
  • UK people - they’re keeping the Sky deal until 2025. Buying that out early is not gonna happen.

I assume this will be the same for Canada (crave deal).

• Like 1

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That Lord of the Rings anime movie is getting gutted too, methinks. Especially with the Amazon Prime continuity coming in and causing potential brand confusion. That is an easy cut for Mr. Z.

Do you always jump to conclusions without any evidence?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That Lord of the Rings anime movie is getting gutted too, methinks. Especially with the Amazon Prime continuity coming in and causing potential brand confusion. That is an easy cut for Mr. Z.

As a Tolkien fan, that makes me happy if it happens.. I am very skeptical of all these LOTR spinoffs.

Edited by dudalb
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Good point.

BLack Adam might do well becuase of the Rock; let's see how DC does with a lesser known charecter who does not have a big draw playing him.

Though I think lesser know DC CHarecters in DC Theatrical movies is going to be a thing of the past for the next couple of years.

I think Blue Beetle will still be released just because it's quite a cool concept and as I say I think there is opportunities in animation for lesser known characters.