Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

The Lobo stuff is a fancast and only that. If true, it's just a coincidence because everyone always agreed that Momoa looks like the character.

So far we don't know nothing besides the fact that Momoa said that it's a "dream project". And I doubt that any of the JL members will stay, so Aquaman 2 being good or no wouldn't affect nothing.

Edited by belblazer

19 hours ago, Ken said:

If Aquaman 2 has bad reviews but no serious competition, it wouldn't be any different from the first movie...unless the audience has drastically changed 5 years later. I know people love to complain about Heard's involvement, but the movie's not called Mera, and online boycott threats don't mean squat.

That's why I think $600M is all but locked even with disastrous reception 

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Holy hitpiece, Batman

As amusing as it is that The Rock had too much of an ego to want to be associated with the Shazam movies, the timing of this article and the way it’s framed comes across like WBD is trying to use him as a scapegoat for Shazam 2 flopping. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

As amusing as it is that The Rock had too much of an ego to want to be associated with the Shazam movies, the timing of this article and the way it’s framed comes across like WBD is trying to use him as a scapegoat for Shazam 2 flopping. 

They don't explicitly lay it out for the random reader, but they're also directly saying that The Rock is why they had to use Harcourt (which kicked up internet yelling about Gunn's wife being in too much DC stuff) to recruit for the Justice Society. When the director talked about this switch, it was purely in a passive voice (access to JS characters was lost and Safran pulled some strings). Makes sense but this is execs just spelling it out. 

Given dumb very online shouting over the cameo, I wonder if that's another significant motivating factor. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

6 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

They don't explicitly lay it out for the random reader, but they're also directly saying that The Rock is why they had to use Harcourt (which kicked up internet yelling about Gunn's wife being in too much DC stuff) to recruit for the Justice Society. When the director talked about this switch, it was purely in a passive voice (access to JS characters was lost and Safran pulled some strings). Makes sense but this is execs just spelling it out. 

Given dumb very online shouting over the cameo, I wonder if that's another significant motivating factor. 

Honestly, even if that’s true (and I’m not sure even how that would work, given that The Rock doesn’t own the Justice Society characters), the movie definitely didn’t flop because Hawkman or Atom Smasher didn’t show up for a mid-credits cameo. 

21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Honestly, even if that’s true (and I’m not sure even how that would work, given that The Rock doesn’t own the Justice Society characters), the movie definitely didn’t flop because Hawkman or Atom Smasher didn’t show up for a mid-credits cameo. 

Yeah, I'd love to hear more details on that. Was it because "Johnson's Seven Bucks" was a producer on the film and Shazam's technically being produced under New Line? Basically did "Dwayne’s failed attempt to control a piece of DC” include some more creative control of "his corner?" No idea. Perhaps this is wildly exaggerated. 

Yeah, this article's implication that the cameos are what doomed the film is wrong but I think this provides another explanation for why everyone's so eager to leak like crazy about Shazam. The franchise is over, they're legitimately annoyed at Johnson for hurting their film's marketing and an unanticipated side effect of the power move is what has to be a personally unpleasant amount of social media anger directed personally at some WB execs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Yeah, I'd love to hear more details on that. Was it because "Johnson's Seven Bucks" was a producer on the film and Shazam's technically being produced under New Line? Basically did "Dwayne’s failed attempt to control a piece of DC” include some more creative control of "his corner?" No idea. Perhaps this is wildly exaggerated. 

Yeah, this article's implication that the cameos are what doomed the film is wrong but I think this provides another explanation for why everyone's so eager to leak like crazy about Shazam. The franchise is over, they're legitimately annoyed at Johnson for hurting their film's marketing and an unanticipated side effect of the power move is what has to be a personally unpleasant amount of social media anger directed personally at some WB execs.

This, exactly. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I feel like if anything hurt the movie’s marketing, it’s the fact that WBD was half-assing it because they’re much more invested in devoting their resources to The Flash. The fact that they’re doing a reboot couldn’t have helped either. 

I think the original idea, circa 2019, was to do something like Legendary's MonsterVerse:

1st Shazam (like Godzilla)

Black Adam (like Skull Island)

2nd Shazam (like King of the Monsters)

Black Adam v Shazam: We All Live in a Justice Society

But somewhere along the line, Johnson decided a fight with Superman would rake in a lot more cash and make him look cooler, and that's what left Shazam 2 feeling empty. Without seeing the actual credits myself, I can't find any proof that Johnson even had a producing credit on it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ken said:

I think the original idea, circa 2019, was to do something like Legendary's MonsterVerse:

1st Shazam (like Godzilla)

Black Adam (like Skull Island)

2nd Shazam (like King of the Monsters)

Black Adam v Shazam: We All Live in a Justice Society

But somewhere along the line, Johnson decided a fight with Superman would rake in a lot more cash and make him look cooler, and that's what left Shazam 2 feeling empty. Without seeing the actual credits myself, I can't find any proof that Johnson even had a producing credit on it.

I remember that back when the first Shazam came out, Johnson did a video on his Instagram where he congratulated it on opening at number one. He didn’t seem to mind being associated with the character at the time, especially since his production company was producing the movie. I guess something must have changed for him in between movies, but I can’t imagine what. 

Maybe he just felt he needed to be the face of his own big franchise, like how Vin Diesel is the face of Fast & Furious? 

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I remember that back when the first Shazam came out, Johnson did a video on his Instagram where he congratulated it on opening at number one. He didn’t seem to mind being associated with the character at the time, especially since his production company was producing the movie. I guess something must have changed for him in between movies, but I can’t imagine what. 

Maybe he just felt he needed to be the face of his own big franchise, like how Vin Diesel is the face of Fast & Furious? 

I also remember last year he made a video talking about Super-Pets and BA's release date changes, but nothing about Shazam moving up from June 2023 to December 2022. 

And then both BA & Shazam were at Comic-Con, and there wasn't even an attempt at cross-pollination. It's pretty obvious he felt Billy Batson was beneath him.

At least he and Gadot still have Red Notice, I guess?