Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

As much as I wanted Cavill to get another proper shot at Superman, with a good script, there's no denying that the disfunction at DC means burning it to the ground is the only way forward. Unfortunately, if we ARE at the point where the by-the-numbers entries are not attracting audiences anymore (or in the case of DC weird characters that don't have any loyalty from audiences), 3/4 of the announced slate is probably gonna bomb badly anyway. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Social media may have been the worst thing to happen to actors.  Leave this shit to your publicists people - that's why you pay them.

He better get a forgettable cameo in the Waller series at the least for showing his ass like this

WB should just dump Shazam on HBO Max sometime in April and be done.

Most people aren't going to spend money on a franchise that's very clearly screwed.

Also "Black Adam v. Shazam" really should have been Shazam 2. It's hubris to think that's not what the audience would have wanted out of Shazam 2.

Edited by MightyDargon

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

As much as I wanted Cavill to get another proper shot at Superman, with a good script, there's no denying that the disfunction at DC means burning it to the ground is the only way forward. Unfortunately, if we ARE at the point where the by-the-numbers entries are not attracting audiences anymore (or in the case of DC weird characters that don't have any loyalty from audiences), 3/4 of the announced slate is probably gonna bomb badly anyway. 

i think it’s fair to say that if Kang Dynasty and Superman:Legacy bomb in 2025 that super heroes as the biggest genre are over.

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

i think it’s fair to say that if Kang Dynasty and Superman:Legacy bomb in 2025 that super heroes as the biggest genre are over.

I dunno about Superman. I feel like, despite the character being wildly well-known, and the iconic Reeves movies, he's never been on the same level as Batman - nowhere near, in fact... That's why I think the instinct behind BvS was good, but everything else about it was bad (that should always have been a World's Finest, but their decision to make Batman such an over-the-top bitter bastard stopped that). So I feel like MoS numbers wouldn't surprise me - and I definitely can't see WB being happy with that. When paired with the limited appeal of everything else (in my eyes, at least) - save for Batman, again - I really am not overly optimistic about the DCU's chances of success.

Kang is definitely a litmus test, but everything leading up to it feels like such a collection of "meh". There's definitely something to be said about fatigue, but when the over-saturation happens with such forgettable (at best) or outright bad product, it's just speeding up the process. 

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I dunno about Superman. I feel like, despite the character being wildly well-known, and the iconic Reeves movies, he's never been on the same level as Batman - nowhere near, in fact... That's why I think the instinct behind BvS was good, but everything else about it was bad (that should always have been a World's Finest, but their decision to make Batman such an over-the-top bitter bastard stopped that). So I feel like MoS numbers wouldn't surprise me - and I definitely can't see WB being happy with that. When paired with the limited appeal of everything else (in my eyes, at least) - save for Batman, again - I really am not overly optimistic about the DCU's chances of success.

Kang is definitely a litmus test, but everything leading up to it feels like such a collection of "meh". There's definitely something to be said about fatigue, but when the over-saturation happens with such forgettable (at best) or outright bad product, it's just speeding up the process. 

Superman was bigger than Batman until the mid to late 80s. 

Having seen Shazam 2, more and more I feel a Spidey 3 scenario happened. Sandberg wanted to do a League of Evil Monsters storyline, but DC forced a mythological storyline down his throat to fit in with Black Adam. The how main storlyline just seemed so forced.

And ,Yeah, Levi's attack on The Rock guarantees that Levi won't be having lunch with al ot of people in Hollywood anymore, as the saying goes. You keep crap like that bheind closed doors, don't blurt it out in public.

And that even with the failure of Black Adam, The Rock is a lot more powerful then Levi just makes it even more stupid.

Edited by dudalb

https://deadline.com/2023/03/warner-bros-100th-anniversary-tcm-movie-programming-1235307202/

This is something only @Cap and I care about, but all this TCM stuff planned for next month goes hard. Will also be good for a certain countdown that's going to happen here soon...ahem.

Full schedule below:

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/WB100.pdf

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Superman was bigger than Batman until the mid to late 80s. 

Beyond comics, rhat was due to the Reeves films, which I mentioned. Once Batman got his due with a proper movie, there was no turning back. Everything I said stands.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Eric Wick said:

https://deadline.com/2023/03/warner-bros-100th-anniversary-tcm-movie-programming-1235307202/

This is something only @Cap and I care about, but all this TCM stuff planned for next month goes hard. Will also be good for a certain countdown that's going to happen here soon...ahem.

Full schedule below:

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/WB100.pdf

Schedule looks excellent. I am very happy there are only showing movies produced by Warners Brothers, and not showing any movies made by other studios that WB got the TV/VIdeo rights to, like the MGM and UA libraries. In an even celebrating Warners 100the anniversary that would be wrong...it would be like buying a painting then try to pass it off at a exhibition as your own.

I was a bit concerned since the first traile rfor the century celebration opened with a clip from the Wizard Of Oz which was an MGM movie. I guess they took some heat over that, and decided to go with only Warners produece films for this schedule.

I am looking forward to the documentaries as much as anything. Pretty sure a couple of those will make the point that Warners created the Gangster/Crime genre as we know it.

The Fllms that make a SOcial Statmene includes "COnfessions Of  A Nazi Spy" made in 1938, and was the first Hollywood movie to call a Nazi a Nazi, and openly attack Hitler and the Third Reich.

And on the 14th they are SHowing "A Face In The Crowd" made in 1957 which is scary in how well it predicted what has happened in the US over the last ten years with the rise of a demogogue using media to make a grab for  power.. And  Andy Griffith is trully scary as the demogogue.

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Beyond comics, rhat was due to the Reeves films, which I mentioned. Once Batman got his due with a proper movie, there was no turning back. Everything I said stands.

In the comics, Superman was not nearly as popular as Batman as far as sales go  in the 70's until the movie came along.

Name recogntiion for Supes, yes, but Batman sold more comics until the Reeves movie revived the charecter.

13 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

we're already off to an odd start though with James Gunn trying to keep his own stuff despite it supposedly being a full reboot. Not to mention this strange reliance on streaming shows. Why the hell is Green Lantern being done as a TV show??

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

we're already off to an odd start though with James Gunn trying to keep his own stuff despite it supposedly being a full reboot. Not to mention this strange reliance on streaming shows. Why the hell is Green Lantern being done as a TV show??

Where did anyone say it’s a full reboot? When he took over he literally said “keep what’s working” . Why do people make stuff up constantly. The timeline is resetting in the flash, that’s about it, so they’re gonna change what they think didn’t work and keep what they think works. It’s pretty simple tbh. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Where did anyone say it’s a full reboot? When he took over he literally said “keep what’s working” . Why do people make stuff up constantly. The timeline is resetting in the flash, that’s about it, so they’re gonna change what they think didn’t work and keep what they think works. It’s pretty simple tbh. 

you mean dump everything besides his own stuff as we can clearly see that is what is happening 

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

you mean dump everything besides his own stuff as we can clearly see that is what is happening 

And? He took over as studio head, of course he’s gonna keep his stuff cause he thinks it’s good. It’s really not hard to comprehend tbh. If it doesn’t work out he’ll be fired, it’s pretty simple.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

I don't mind keeping some stuff - I definitely want Momoa to stay on, regardless of how Aquaman 2 turns out. And Viola Davis is such a great actress that I am hoping she gets her due with Waller. But the combination of very obscure/weird characters for their big screen releases and reliance on streaming (when that seems - to me, at least - to be one of the issues with the watering down of the MCU) is incredibly bad strategy in my eyes. As you said, how in the world did they end up with an Earth-based detective story for GL instead of a space opera? When you boil it all down, you have a Superman and a Batman movie. That's it. Everything else will either be too niche and/or have limited overall exposure as a streaming series that will never be a true event on the level of a huge blockbuster (because they're not even shows expanding on already popular big screen iterations, such as SW or the MCU).

All in all, I am hopeful for the quality of these projects, but again - it's a Batman movie, a sequel to ANOTHER Batman movie, and a new Superman, which has not really delivered true blockbuster numbers in over 4 decades. I feel like they've set themselves up for failure and already have the conclusion to their post-disaster analysis: MORE BATMAN.

10 hours ago, Ronin46 said:

Maybe some news about Blue Beetle is coming soon.

I don't see a debt-ridden Warner start marketing this until CinemaCon at the earliest, especially with them going all in on The Flash. I can honestly see them waiting until that movie is out to put out a trailer for this.

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

Having seen Shazam 2, more and more I feel a Spidey 3 scenario happened. Sandberg wanted to do a League of Evil Monsters storyline, but DC forced a mythological storyline down his throat to fit in with Black Adam. The how main storlyline just seemed so forced.

And ,Yeah, Levi's attack on The Rock guarantees that Levi won't be having lunch with al ot of people in Hollywood anymore, as the saying goes. You keep crap like that bheind closed doors, don't blurt it out in public.

And that even with the failure of Black Adam, The Rock is a lot more powerful then Levi just makes it even more stupid.

I think Levi knows his mainstream career is over. He's going to become yet another Daily Wire grifter like Gina Carano.