Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 hour ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Disney took loses on almost every phase 1 movie.

Disney had to do all this without their A and B tier heroes.
Zaslav isnt willing to do any of that.

There's a lot of history being rewritten here, from Iron Man and Cap apparently being "C tier", to the fact that the distribution rights were still a mess through phase 1, with the buy-out happening halfway through it, so talking about Disney losing money on that is weird.

Again, starting Marvel Studios was a risk in the first place, but it was still calculated to build upon the most recognisable names they had access to - let's not pretend the MCU is built on the backs of Ant-Man or Shang Chi. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

It won't be -- J.J.'s already on Zaslav's radar for NOT developing projects in a timely manner -- Zas canceled J.J.'s expensive "experiment."  And notice how we haven't heard a whiff more recently about J.J.'s DC "Justice League Dark" riff?  That ain't happening, either.  I could even see GDT being invited back at some point to put that project back on the big-screen.  

I think WB is definitely done with JJ. 

I also don't see Del Toro being given the opportunity to get on a DC property given his history of belabored and abandoned projects. Seems counter-intuitive if they want sure-fire hits to bring in someone like that. 

3 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Disney took loses on almost every phase 1 movie.

Disney had to do all this without their A and B tier heroes.
Zaslav isnt willing to do any of that.

The only Phase One movie that could probably be written of as a loss is TIH. Also, as a side note, Disney weren’t the distributors for most of the Phase One movies. 

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I also don't see Del Toro being given the opportunity to get on a DC property given his history of belabored and abandoned projects. Seems counter-intuitive if they want sure-fire hits to bring in someone like that. 

Honestly given how slow Abrams and Bad Robot have been, ending the deal wouldn't be a bad thing.

1 hour ago, NamakFiskKa said:

These guys weren't even 10% as popular as Superman/Batman/Spider-Man before 2008 to general audience

Do you choose to misquote, or do you simply not understand the point?

I said the most recognisable characters they had access to (as opposed to an actual risk, starting with the true C-D listers that we are seeing now). The fact that Spidey, Supes and Bats are cultural icons does not mean Iron Man and Cap were C list heroes. You could call them B-listers (despite their very rich comic book history), but they're still recognisable. And more than that, they're suitable to maximising their popularity and growing their brand awareness. Iron Man is the cool parts of Bruce Wayne, with a charismatic portrayal and actor (the true risk was RDJ casting, but it paid off in spades), and an insanely cool look. And Cap is a very easy sell as well - iconic patriotism, stands up for truth, justice and the American way (just like another character that DC mishandled - instead of making him embrace those aspects, DC made Superman resent the obligation of saving the world), while also allowing for an interesting fish-out-of-water characteristic once he gets defrosted. 

Again, obviously building the studio up would have been easier with the X-Men and Spidey from the get-go, but the three characters they chose to form the foundation were by no means unfamiliar. They were the ones that had the biggest potential. And as has bene said before, they cast charismatic leads and they also managed to start this off in a period of relatively low competition and flux in terms of quality for other superhero franchises (the X-Men were in the post-X3 funk, Spidey had been killed with the third one's reaction and Batman was basically the only game in town). They chose the right characters out of what they had, they realised they had the right time to do it and they took advantage of that to turn the moderate hits from Phase I into a phenomenon, by getting people to love said characters and the brand. THEN they started taking risks with lower tier characters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Honestly given how slow Abrams and Bad Robot have been, ending the deal wouldn't be a bad thing.

Oh, yeah, I completely agree. I don't think it's a bad thing per se either.

I see Abrams as a competent director that should be brought in to shoot other people's scripts. I really wouldn't want him anywhere near DC

7 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

You know I was just curious I remember the opening weekend for Batman V Superman they came out and said that it would kick off 10 films that would all lead up to a Green Lantern movie in 2020.

Safe to say those plans changed...and yet now about 8 years later they got plans for 10 years. Consider me skeptical cause you could have all these plans and your first movie flops and then what happens? The rest of the movies don't continue going on ahead because they "were not profitable" according to Zaslav.

5 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Ironically Zaslav to me is exactly the type of boss that would panic when his superhero movies make 900million instead of a billion.

Which will just throw them to MoS and post BvS days.

I didn't watch the presentation, but I think I've read someone reporting exactly that they said they won't change their plans for DC if the movies don't reach their financial expectations.

• Like 1

The highlight from all of this (other than David Zaslav clearly not being aware of what year it is with those dumb "male/female skewing" slides) is that the 90 Day Fiancé Universe is a concept that somehow now exists. Just wait until they start going all in on the corporate synergy with these HGTV shows. Fixer Upper: Hogwarts Edition!

4 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Del Toro is not going to spend his time on this, come on. The guy has a blank check these days to do anything he wants! 

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The highlight from all of this (other than David Zaslav clearly not being aware of what year it is with those dumb "male/female skewing" slides) is that the 90 Day Fiancé Universe is a concept that somehow now exists. Just wait until they start going all in on the corporate synergy with these HGTV shows. Fixer Upper: Hogwarts Edition!

What is the problem with saying that more men than other types of people watch HBO MAX? Sometimes I am really glad I live in Europe.

Edited by CJohn

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Del Toro is not going to spend his time on this, come on. The guy has a blank check these days to do anything he wants! 

Does he, though? He hasn't made a big budget film after Pacific Rim and even after Shape of Water, he hasn't gotten the ball rolling on any major project. Hell, even Pinocchio has taken a decade.

I think he is possibly reluctant of getting himself involved in a major project that might have a lot of studio demands, like a superhero movie (in which case, sure, he can make whatever he wants, cause what he wants is smaller scale), but I also think there might be a bit more reluctance from execs to just throw 200 million his way.

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What is the problem with saying that more men than other types of people watch HBO MAX? Sometimes I am really glad I live in Europe.

Edited by filmlover

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

But that is not what they meant. They just meant more men use HBO MAX. That is all. I am a dude and watched Gossip Girl and Sex and the City. America is just a dumb place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

But that is not what they meant. They just meant more men use HBO MAX. That is all. I am a dude and watched Gossip Girl and Sex and the City. America is just a dumb place.

It's pretty clear not many people listened in to the call because they explained the entire concept behind it including the lean back and lean in. Is it corporate speak? Yes, is it different to any other corporate speak? No.

But memes are memes.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, CJohn said:

All they've accomplished in this presentation is confirming that Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin is really the HBO/Max show that men have been waiting for! House of the Dragon found dead in a ditch. 

Edited by filmlover

29 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's pretty clear not many people listened in to the call because they explained the entire concept behind it including the lean back and lean in. Is it corporate speak? Yes, is it different to any other corporate speak? No.

But memes are memes.

The way people reacted was typical BOT and fanboys thinking, the call was typical corporate speak. Terms like male skewing and female skewing are very common terms in television and film industry. 

Have to admit, I understand why lean back means as TV term, assuming it is something to do with the viewer leaning back and enjoying the show but lean in I don't really get, I assume it's to with programming that viewers actively engage in after they've watched it so like House of the Dragon where you discuss what happened on a forum or Reddit.

Edited by Jonwo