baumer

Seven Psychopaths

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's like Adaption with GunsSeven Psychopaths is the story of an author trying to write a screenplay about, well, seven psychopaths. In trying to find inspiration for his screenplay, he and his friend, a dog kidnapper, run into a huge problem with a mob boss, who's shih tzu his friend stole.Seven Psychopaths is a lot of things: a midnight movie, a meandering mess, an action comedy, a self retrospective, an overall weird movie.This film has many layers, as the film tells you. On the surface, you have the action buddy comedy with Sam Rockwells raucous performance and over the top Woody Harrellson as the mob boss.Then there is the self retrospective layer as Colin Farrell is struggling to write this movie, the Seven Psychopaths, as he goes through his strengths and weakness as a writer and how the film's plot should end up. Yes the film you are watching.Then it becomes a meandering mess as the writer struggles to find the ending, not that his psycho friend wants but what he wants since he is tired of writing that way. There is much mumbling and looking at the sky and pretty cinematography.And it is just weird. It works but it doesn't. It's funny and boring. They show Abbie Cornish's tits and a prostitute speaks Vietnamese.They have one of the most epics vignettes about the Vietnam War, and there is are multiple close ups of a dog. I can't even say whether I liked it or not. I will just leave it at a B.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the movie enough. I saw it last night before Sinister.It has some good moments and some touching scenes. Probably doesn't have much rewatch value, but I was entertained for the most partChristopher Walken wss the best part to me.I would give it about a B

I enjoyed the movie enough. I saw it last night before Sinister.It has some good moments and some touching scenes. Probably doesn't have much rewatch value, but I was entertained for the most partChristopher Walken wss the best part to me.I would give it about a B

Saw it and mostly liked it...and I think it has some re-watch value, as I bet you would pick up things on future re-viewings

One thing I was surprised at, since so many things come full circle...I thought that Walken's older wife was going to be the younger psycho girl who killed with the carzy rabbit;s guy. I thought that was a given during the movie.

• Like 1

Ahhh this was great stuff.Twisted, witty, and hilarious with moments of depth sprinkled in throughout. One of those rare movies that gets better as it goes along, and it's a credit to the talent involved that the film succeeds. And dear god, give Christopher Walken more roles.A-

• Like 1

It's not as confident or viscerally entertaining as In Bruges- to be fair, few movies are- but I was really pleased. It's a movie that knows exactly what it is and uses that knowledge to try and subvert your expectations of genre norms. It may be a house of cards of a movie, but I've been thinking about it all week, so it's left its mark on me. Not to mention there's some great performances (Walken at his best since... I don't know when) and one-liners.

8/10

• Like 1

Here's a complete shock, I hated a movie Gopher loved. This movie is a mess. Bland characters, bland writing and bland everything. I lost interest in it when the three of them are in the desert and Rockwell starts telling his story and people's heads are blown off and such. There were a few good moments but overall it was a terrible experience for me.5/10

Writing a book/movie about writing a book/movie is always going to be fraught with potential eye-roll moments, but 7 psychopaths just about manages to be inventive enough to keep things engaging.

It might be the most tonally schizophrenic film I've ever seen though which, intentional or not, lessens the experience. It's at it's best when it settles for screwball comedy, I just wish it had stuck to its guns (pun intended) on that front.