A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

$100m will be crazy. That would be its biggest market.

@Olive Is Dangal one of the overseas release and something bought out by local distributor?

It's released by Huayi bros.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

That means it's a buy-out and not revenue-sharing? Any idea what terms of buy-out were? Flat fee or guaranteed minimum?

BOI (boxofficeindia.com) says the following:

The only problem with the China market is that Indian producers hardly get a return even if the film is successful. The films are taken outright by Chinese companies and they release and market the films there and the monies paid are well below $1 million. The revenue in Australia with just $2m apprx will be far more for the producers even if China goes on a crazy run. Its basically a token gesture release financially but what it does is allow a star like Aamir Khan to create a fan following which may allow better deals for him films in the future.

Link

Only problem is, I have no idea where their info has ever come from.  I've followed the site for ~11.5 years now for Indian BO (mostly they focus on Hindi/Bollywood market) and I can't recall any legit source verification for any of their data (I think they've claimed that they get numbers from distributors but again, only a claim).  

Unfortunately, they're still the best source for India's BO - only other figures we get come from a few trade journalists and the studios themselves.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spizzer said:

Link

Only problem is, I have no idea where their info has ever come from.  I've followed the site for ~11.5 years now for Indian BO (mostly they focus on Hindi/Bollywood market) and I can't recall any legit source verification for any of their data (I think they've claimed that they get numbers from distributors but again, only a claim).  

Unfortunately, they're still the best source for India's BO - only other figures we get come from a few trade journalists and the studios themselves.   

I'm pretty sure they're just talking about revenue-sharing in China in general where the foreign distributor gets 25% of box office compared to more in other countries i.e Australia. I doubt that website (or any Indian film site for that matter) has the specific business deal related to Dangal's release. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jiangsen said:

That means it's a buy-out and not revenue-sharing? Any idea what terms of buy-out were? Flat fee or guaranteed minimum?

1 hour ago, spizzer said:

Link

I heard the case is quite conplicated.

When the local distributor breaks even, the India company can also get a share of the pure profit.

For example:

Huayi bought the movie for 6M yuan, and to release and market the movie will cost another 24M yuan(maybe even less)

Around 30M total budget, Huyi need the movie to reach 100M yuan to break even, now has already doubled that.

when the movie grosses 400M YUAN

Huyi will get around 130M yuan, 100M pure profit

India companies may get 5-10% of the 100M pure profit depends on the contract.

• Like 3

FRI estimates

before service charges
Dangal  -  36.7m / 208.6m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  20.5m / 445.9m

Dealer Healer  -  10.7m

King Arthur  -  10.4m

Power Rangers  -  8.62m

What a Wonderful Family  -  6.55m / 14.5m

Absurd Accident  -  3.94m
Fate of the Furious  - 1.27m / 2,517m

after service charges

Dangal  -  39.6m / 226.7m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  21.7m / 472.3m

Dealer Healer  -  11.6m

King Arthur  -  11.2m

Power Rangers  -  9.32m

What a Wonderful Family  -  6.9m / 15.3m

Absurd Accident  -  4.2m
Fate of the Furious  - 1.35m / 2,669m

• Like 7

Pretty impressive run for Dangal... Before the release I was thinking 200M yuan would be a good result... but now it looks set to triple that.

How much has it made in Taiwan, and what is the projected finish?

4 hours ago, spizzer said:

Link

They are only good for tracking domestic box office numbers which are generally correct. Their commentary is usually quite biased and unreliable. They would have absolutely no knowledge of how much the movie was sold for, or if there was a profit sharing mechanism after a certain threshold. If I was a producer, I would not sell my movie without one, especially if the movie had potential for a good run like Dangal did.

Edited by zep
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fake said:

Pretty impressive run for Dangal... Before the release I was thinking 200M yuan would be a good result... but now it looks set to triple that.

How much has it made in Taiwan, and what is the projected finish?

About $4M as of last Sunday

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Maoyan Predictions for Saturday

Dangal 108M (!!)

Guardians 2 45.8M (Solid jump)

King Arthur 13.3M (Meh)

Power Rangers 8.1M (My god...)

Overall now predicting Dangal > Guardians 2 696M>695M

Yeah PR completely flopped in China and every where else. @POTUS,I meet frontloaded in that people that were going to see it. Would see it the first day there and then it would completely drop off the cliff. Yes it was a little different in US,because it made 40M on OW. Still,it did start to fall off the cliff after that weekend.

Just now, jiangsen said:

So sounds like you've lost respect for everyone in the world...save yourself.

No, I am saying PR movie was a failure. How hard is that to understand.

8 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Maoyan Predictions for Saturday

Dangal 108M (!!)

Guardians 2 45.8M (Solid jump)

King Arthur 13.3M (Meh)

Power Rangers 8.1M (My god...)

Overall now predicting Dangal > Guardians 2 696M>695M

Dangal is a juggernaut. @POTUS can you do Zoo comparison. I think its weekdays 2nd week will be stronger than 1st. Also its showtimes will go up this week as well. So I am thinking 500m by thursday and 700m week later and still the number 1. It will continue to be strong number after that as well.

@Olive Is Dangal limited to 30 day run or can it get an extension. If it does, it could have a good run all the way till TF5.

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 0:21 PM, keysersoze123 said:

300m should happen by sunday. its probably keeping at least 15% showtimes for friday and will comfortably be number 1(its already leading presales). I see its friday hit at least 30m. Saturday 60m and sunday 50m for 140m. So it should be at 430m(330m) by sunday and 500m(400m) by thursday. Week later it should have hit 600m(500m) and then Pirates takes over most of the showtimes. It should beat your name and doreman.

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM, POTUS said:

Ftfy

I was being conservative in case it doesn't bump much with screen loss. I could see your scenario happening.

Lol. Looks like your totals are going to be close after all.

Dangal running at 8m per hour.  100m+ happening. They did a good job of shifting shows. At 22% today.  GV2 at 14% and will get to low 40s and maybe a near 100% bump.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fake said:

200m Yuan in second weekend! Whoa!!

600m Yuan is looking like a sure thing now. Which means Dangal will do more in China than it did in India. :)

Donnie Yen and Amir Khan should do a movie together... Cannot imagine the box office potential in both China and India. The movie just needs to be decent, and I can see records breaking.

I would never have thought a sports movie about wrestling could be this huge.

Chinese audience do not love sports movies that much.

I think To the Force(破风) holding the record only made 145M yuan, it's about cycling.

Edited by Olive