A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Need answer from Chinese members..I heard long before 3 Idiots did well there. The way Dangal running there is massive.I mean there is Baahubali which currently holds highest grossing Indian movie..But most of the audience for the movie was Indians.But Dangal completely mingles with foreign audience..That's damn great..How is the movie achieved this kind of reception?Is it bacause of the content or Amir Khan?Does he become a known face for Chinese audience?..How so...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mankatha said:

Need answer from Chinese members..I heard long before 3 Idiots did well there. The way Dangal running there is massive.I mean there is Baahubali which currently holds highest grossing Indian movie..But most of the audience for the movie was Indians.But Dangal completely mingles with foreign audience..That's damn great..How is the movie achieved this kind of reception?Is it bacause of the content or Amir Khan?Does he become a known face for Chinese audience?..How so...

The majority of Chinese moviegoers don't know the difference between Shah Rukh Khan or Aamir Khan, but perhaps with this film's success that will begin to change. Any movie with this kind of incredible run -- low first weekend, solid weekday holds, and a bigger second weekend -- achieves that feat because of its content/story first and foremost and its ability to 'speak' to the audience. The credit should go to the film itself, not solely Aamir Khan. Very few foreign stars, arguably NONE, have achieved box office success in China on star power alone.

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 3

TUE estimates

before service charges
Dangal  -  29.5m / 450.6m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  10.3m / 546.3m
King Arthur  -  3.57m / 42.4m
Dealer Healer  -  2.33m / 31.9m
Fate of the Furious  - 1.4m / 2,526m
What a Wonderful Family  -  1.12m / 27.6m
Power Rangers  -  1.08m / 25.5m

after service charges
Dangal  -  32.2m / 490.1m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  11m / 580.4m
King Arthur  -  3.8m / 44.9m
Dealer Healer  -  2.5m / 33.9m
Fate of the Furious  - 1.5m / 2,678m
What a Wonderful Family  -  1.2m / 29.3m
Power Rangers  -  1.15m / 27.1m

• Like 6

16 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

That would be hard to predict. Its holding great and should have 15%+ showtimes I think. So sub 40% drop is possible. I think all the openers are bombing again though Life looks like doing better than PR and Arthur.

All new releases will total less than 40m OD like last week.

Listed at 14% for friday now. Should climb to 17%, last Friday was 14%, but the % drop of theaters from Thursday  will be a little larger this week with thursday flat WoW. The bump may be a little smaller but I think the hold could -20% WoW or better. 

180m+ WE. 700m total by sunday.

775m when P5 opens. If it could -50% against P5 on FSS it will get deep into the 900s, maybe 1b with holiday help

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 4

WED estimates

before service charges
Dangal  -  26.8m / 477.4m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  9.27m / 555.8m
King Arthur  -  3.1m / 45.6m
Dealer Healer  -  2.03m / 34.1m
Fate of the Furious  - 1.31m / 2,527m

after service charges
Dangal  -  29.1m / 519.2m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  9.9m / 590.5m
King Arthur  -  3.3m / 48.3m
Dealer Healer  -  2.18m / 36.3m
Fate of the Furious  - 1.4m / 2,680m

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

GOTG2 is such a giant flop in China. Dangal has completely overshadowed it. Speaking of gotg2, i have yet to watch it, which speaks volumes because and I haven't missed a single marvel movie yet barring IM2

Why haven't you watched it yet? Also it shocking That GOTG 2 flopped by decreasing from the first or barely getting past it in China.

6 hours ago, Fake said:

According to maoyan site, the Sunday gross for Dangal is still below 90m... and the total cume is around 10m lower.... So is it a bug?

yes, it will be fixed later.

• Like 1

THU estimates

before service charges
Dangal  -  23.6m / 500.9m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  8.23m / 564.1m
King Arthur  -  2.7m / 48.4m
Dealer Healer  -  1.72m / 35.9m
Fate of the Furious  - 1.38m / 2,527m

after service charges
Dangal  -  25.6m / 544.6m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  8.8m / 599.5m
King Arthur  -  2.88m / 51.3m
Dealer Healer  -  1.85m / 38.2m
Fate of the Furious  - 1.48m / 2,681m

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Guardians will finish around 650m. Previous week it did not do bad. But being number 2 does not help and so it is losing tons of screens this weekend. Post Pirates release it wont do anything.

Why is Guardians not doing as well compared to Avengers, IM, CA, DS, and AM in China? It is like decreasing from it original one and even the service fee are not helping it. 

Edited by chrisman0606