A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

51 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

If Disney China just expected $69m for Rogue One and $86m for BATB, then I will eat my words.

I agree regarding Rogue One, but BATB seems OK based on the kind of film it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tower said:

I agree regarding Rogue One, but BATB seems OK based on the kind of film it is.

It improved from Cinderella, which makes it not a disappointment in my eyes. There was a possibility it might have grossed under due to the musical format turning people off. Also, Cinderella is a much more iconic princess/fairy tale to many people growing up in Asia.

@Olive

I'd also like to say that you can't directly compare US&Can's $11.4 B to China's $6.7B since we're talking strictly about Hollywood. While in The US, over 97% of the total annual Box office comes from Hollywood, the number in China is closer to ~40% to my knowledge (since China also has its own local market from where most of the BO is generated). So the actual comparison when we're dealing specifically with BO would be something like $2.6B vs $11B.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Agafin said:

@Olive

I'd also like to say that you can't directly compare US&Can's $11.4 B to China's $6.7B since we're talking strictly about Hollywood. While in The US, over 97% of the total annual Box office comes from Hollywood, the number in China is closer to ~40% to my knowledge (since China also has its own local market from where most of the BO is generated). So the actual comparison when we're dealing specifically with BO would be something like $2.6B vs $11B.

That is not correct as not all hllywd movies open in china

Dangal's sunday could be ahead of its saturday. Maoyan is saying 95.44m for saturday(wonder if its final number). Question is can it crack 100m today. its behaving like not so mini Zootopia. Of course Zoo was more than double of Dangal at the same point but Dangal has it open until Pirates open and could play strong 2nd place after that.

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is not correct as not all hllywd movies open in china

He's talking about out of the $6.7 billion box office generated in 2015 only $2.6 billion of that was from Hollywood movies. For Olive's comparison, it's better to compare the $2.6 bil vs $11 bil instead of the earlier comparison. There is some discrepancy like an unreleased Hollywood film due to the quota could've broken out and made $200 million compared to a flop like Deepwater Horizon which made only $10.50 million.

There's also the bad exchange rate that makes a film decrease or stay flat in USD, but has grown in local currency. A problem Fate of the Furious faced this year.

Edited by movieboner

The correct way to compare the market potential and set benchmark for overperformance/underperformance.... would be to add the Chinese grosses of all the Hollywood imports in a year... and compare that to the total US gross of these movies only.

Edited by Fake
  • Like 1

SUN estimates

before service charges
Dangal  -  87.3m / 387.9m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  32.7m / 524.3m
King Arthur  -  9.84m / 34.5m
Dealer Healer  -  6.28m / 26.5m
Power Rangers  -  5.26m / 23m
What a Wonderful Family  -  4.58m / 25.1m
Fate of the Furious  - 2.76m / 2,523m
Absurd Accident  -  2.34m / 9.41m

after service charges
Dangal  -  94m / 420.2m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  34.8m / 555.9m
King Arthur  -  10.3m / 36.1m
Dealer Healer  -  6.6m / 27.9m
Power Rangers  -  5.5m / 24.1m
What a Wonderful Family  -  4.8m / 26.4m
Fate of the Furious  - 2.95m / 2,675m
Absurd Accident  -  2.34m / 9.66m

• Like 10

Dangal monday looks very strong. I am thinking it can hit mid 30's !!!! That would be much bigger than any weekday last week(not surprising as it has way more shows now). I think it will gross 110m+ over Mon-Thu and 650m+ by sunday. Should gross more than $100m before Pirates open.

Guardians looks like early to mid teens today. Not bad but its dropping normally again.

• Like 2

At last... Dangal seems to have a normal day-to-day drop... But at such high levels, it doesn't matter. Even if it has normal 50% weekly drops, and doesn't get any extension, it will finish with $100M+!

In contast, it only did $80M in India and $35M in rest of the world (including Taiwan).

8 minutes ago, Fake said:

At last... Dangal seems to have a normal day-to-day drop... But at such high levels, it doesn't matter. Even if it has normal 50% weekly drops, and doesn't get any extension, it will finish with $100M+!

In contast, it only did $80M in India and $35M in rest of the world (including Taiwan).

Its still not normal. its drops are way stronger than Guardians which is not dropping that bad either. I think it will hold better than 50% this weekend as releases are as bad as last week.

I am thinking Dangal China > Dangal Rest of the world !!!

Edited by keysersoze123

On 5/14/2017 at 7:12 PM, titanic2187 said:

the dangal is almost the zootopia 2.0!!!
while GOTG2 was like IPMan 3

Except that Ip Man 3 was killed by Bluray release in HK in is 2nd weekend of its China release... 

People were stumbling onto the full HD movie while searching for reviews online.. Chinese distributor killed Ip Man 3 by delaying almost 4months later than in other regions.

On 2017/5/14 at 1:30 AM, ThomasNicole said:

I don't call movies who made $ 70 - 100m a flop just because some others break out and made $ 150 - 200m.

They will all out of Top20 this year.There is no chance hitting Top10.Some may out of Top30.Considering their rank dom and ww,It's disappointed.It's normal.culture difference.Caribbean is the Last chance to break out

MON estimates  with service charges
Dangal  -  35.5m / 459.3m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  12.2m / 569.8m
King Arthur  -  4.3m / 41m
Dealer Healer  -  3.2m / 31.1m
Power Rangers  -  1.6m / 26m

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Olive said:

MON estimates  with service charges
Dangal  -  35.5m / 459.3m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  12.2m / 569.8m
King Arthur  -  4.3m / 41m
Dealer Healer  -  3.2m / 31.1m
Power Rangers  -  1.6m / 26m

What is GOTGv2 heading for in China ??

95mil or 100mil?

Edited by Brainiac5

11 minutes ago, Ravi said:

@Olive What would be next weekend collection and LT for dangal?

That would be hard to predict. Its holding great and should have 15%+ showtimes I think. So sub 40% drop is possible. I think all the openers are bombing again though Life looks like doing better than PR and Arthur.

• Like 2