A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Just now, fabiopazzo2 said:

And shitty film smash the bo in China... Xxx, resident evil , Warcraft 0.0 

I have seen none of them, but Transformer 2 was one of the biggest domestic movie of the year, all the star wars prequel were number one or close to it, since the mid 80's at least it is not like we don't have many shitty film smash the bo in the US market, just look at Suicide Squad and The Secret Life of Pets last year.

• Like 1

A-list hollywood blockbusters making under $100M in China is bad.

China yearly BO>1/2 DOM already

It's not a market like the size of UK or Japan any more.

Edited by Olive
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I have seen none of them, but Transformer 2 was one of the biggest domestic movie of the year, all the star wars prequel were number one or close to it, since the mid 80's at least it is not like we don't have many shitty film smash the bo in the US market, just look at Suicide Squad and The Secret Life of Pets last year.

Correction, Transformers 2 was the biggest movie ever in China briefly. Before being deposed by 2012 and then Avatar. 

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Correction, Transformers 2 was the biggest movie ever in China briefly. Before being deposed by 2012 and then Avatar. 

I used domestic in the context of US-Canada market there (I imagine that once we are in the China board domestic mean China)

50 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Now i want to see if Avengers 3 and JW 2 increase or decrease next year. 

F8 decrease 

Gotg 2 decrease 

Furious 8 increased and Gotg2 on its way to increase as well

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

F8 decrease 

Gotg 2 decrease 

Decrease in dollars but increase in local currency, that is what really matters when we talk about a single market.

25 minutes ago, Olive said:

Any high profile movie makes less than half its DOM gross in China is bad.

2015 yearly gross

NA $11.4B vs. CHN $6.78B

Things aren't that simple. By this logic BATB should have made at least $250M to not be consider a failure or SW7 $468M+ which weren't realistic goal for either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, druv10 said:

Things aren't that simple. By this logic BATB should have made at least $250M to not be consider a failure or SW7 $468M+ which weren't realistic goal for either. 

Yeah, but they need to gross much more than they did to be consider good performances.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

This. It is like Chinese people only devour trash films and they are the only who do it. The same people who complain about Chinese tastes could remember that those films are made in Hollywood and are watched EVERYWHERE. The Transformers saga has grossed 3.2 billion outside China and 1.3 billion DOM, for example.

And they could remember too when China makes big grosses with better received films like Zootopia, A dog's purpose or now with Dangal. And I did not read nobody complaining about Chinese tastes when Marvel or Jurassic World or Jungle Book or Interstellar or X-Men or Harry Potter or Hobbit or Apes... did/do great grosses there.

People watch good and bad films everywhere, not just in China. Let's be more respectful.

• Like 9

For years, we thought animated films had a low ceiling in China. Zootopia proved that it's possible for animation to break-out in a major way if the WOM is good. I suspect it won't be the last example either. There just needs to be a film that is capable of bridging the culture gap to resonate with audiences. Nobody thought a Bollywood film could break-out, let alone outgross a Marvel superhero film either. The same thing will happen with a musical film eventually.

• Like 5

Would like to issue a sorry for my China coments early in the week. What I said was uncalled for and wrong on many levels. I got an ear full from one of your posters on another forum. I didn't explain well what I meet about by those coments. They were taken in way that people felt I made a racist remark. I didn't mean it to come out the way it sounds. So I hope you all forgiven me on it.

• Like 4

Rogue one was a huge disappointment. Dont forget Donnie Yen was there. Beast did great considering musicals are not popular in China. Pixar movies are disappointments and Guardians definitely is a disappointment.

So expecting every movie to do at least 1/2 is not reasonable but action/CGI spectacles should have higher expectations. But the china market has tapered and has become lot less predictable.

I am loving that something like Dangal breaking out than Guardians. That makes the market more fun to track.

Looking at Dangal presales, it has not dropped at all from yesterday(its up slightly). I am expecting it to come close to saturday. Guardians will have a normal drop.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

F8 decrease 

Gotg 2 decrease 

Based on what is happening in china now, expecting a increase is too much. If Avengers hit CW numbers its good. Jurassic on the other hand has slightly more potential has we have not seen too many of these movies. I think it will be the next new 2B grosser if it has a good release date.

5 hours ago, Olive said:

Any high profile movie makes less than half its DOM gross in China is bad.

2015 yearly gross

NA $11.4B vs. CHN $6.78B

Well tastes are different, I wouldn't say a movie that makes $500M DOM and $200M in China has a bad performance.

Rather, you were right the first time:

"A-list hollywood blockbusters making under $100M in China is bad."

• Like 1