A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

15 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Haha, hope it does well then because I want it to do well! =)
 What about Deadpool on Feb 12th? That would be a major competition right? I mean in terms of film classification, it is for more mature audiences but the hype seems real, people are all waiting for a R rated Superhero movie! It will be a huge box office draw.

Nah, Deadpool is more like "Watchmen"......the one superhero movie everyone thought was gonna do massive...but only did decent. And there's always a chance that Deadpool could be more frontloaded.

Also, Deadpool isn't that well known to general audience...so that hurts that movie. Fans knows who Deadpool is are excited for it but.....that's all it is....more fan-driven than general driven.

What worked for GOTG & Ant-Man (to a smaller degree) is that they looked appealing to general people and could garner family audiences here & there. Also it was Disney & they were PG-13...so you could take younger audience to see them. Deadpool is gonna be R-rated and it limits the audience...and the character himself is a tougher sell to people who are not familiar with him.

So i don't think Deadpool could be the breakout....as some people expects to be.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

35 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Haha, hope it does well then because I want it to do well! =)
 What about Deadpool on Feb 12th? That would be a major competition right? I mean in terms of film classification, it is for more mature audiences but the hype seems real, people are all waiting for a R rated Superhero movie! It will be a huge box office draw.

It may be big but its target audience is completely different than KFP3. Regardless of whatever KFP3 or Deadpool make, there is no way deadpool will affect KFP3 in the slightest.

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Not just because of China, they initially moved from December 2015 because of Star Wars
http://deadline.com/2014/12/kung-fu-panda-3-release-delayed-star-wars-1201320908/
And they changed to January, as you said, because of China. But I believe also because of BvS. BvS may be huge, perhaps Avengers number worldwide. 
I am a huge fan of Dreamworks, but they are just not that good at marketing their sequels, perhaps after Fox took over their distribution. How To Train Your Dragon 2 was better than the first one, yet the box office in America was meh.... Kung Fu Panda 2 was easily as good as the first one, but the box office again... suffered. I don't think Kung Fu Panda 3 would do well in US at all. 

I always wanted to meet a DreamWorks fan. I never really believed such a person could exist. I personally despise DreamWorks films for their lack of originality, lack of genuine emotion, lack of good plot design, the stupidity of the jokes and the general lack of creative humor. They just don't have any self-respect. I'm not saying that all their movies are like this. There are always exceptions to the rule. If you like the exceptions a lot, I would understand that but you shouldn't call yourself a DreamWorks fan if that's the case. Just please don't tell me that the average DW film is better than any pre-Cars 2 Pixar film.

1 minute ago, quigquag33 said:

I always wanted to meet a DreamWorks fan. I never really believed such a person could exist. I personally despise DreamWorks films for their lack of originality, lack of genuine emotion, lack of good plot design, the stupidity of the jokes and the general lack of creative humor. They just don't have any self-respect. I'm not saying that all their movies are like this. There are always exceptions to the rule. If you like the exceptions a lot, I would understand that but you shouldn't call yourself a DreamWorks fan if that's the case. Just please don't tell me that the average DW film is better than any pre-Cars 2 Pixar film.

The first two Shreks are better than like half of Pixar.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

China delivered a 2-day debut of $53M for THE FORCE AWAKENS--highest Sat/Sun opening of all-time there.

It's strange it can do this but then not even get $150m total??  WOM can't be that bad there.  Guess we'll see what the next week or so brings though.

14 minutes ago, quigquag33 said:

Haha, I find Shrek series okay.Not my personal favourite.. But I felt Megamind was as good as the incredibles, How to train your dragon movies were just awesome. Home was good, even its theme song!
And I honestly felt that the Croods was better than The Good Dinosaur... =) But Inside Out was awesome.

I mean I love Dreamworks, but I don't deny that some of Pixar's classics can never be replicated, because they are simply... Legendary. Toy Story series, Finding Nemo were just awesome films that can be rewatched a million times. Even now, showing Finding Nemo to a classroom filled with Kids will still touch their hearts. =)

From Infernus:
It may be big but its target audience is completely different than KFP3. Regardless of whatever KFP3 or Deadpool make, there is no way deadpool will affect KFP3 in the slightest.

True, since both are distributed by Fox, they probably wouldn't want the 2 films to cannibalize, I think genre differences are clearer to North American audiences. However I heard that Fox choose to push KFP3's worldwide release date to March because they are afraid it might eat up Deadpool's box office. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FTF said:

It's strange it can do this but then not even get $150m total??  WOM can't be that bad there.  Guess we'll see what the next week or so brings though.

WOM on weibo is getting from mixed to really quite bad now. Fans are saying its a copy of Ep4, non-fans seem to be unamazed and many of them claimed they fell asleep in the theaters. Gewara is still holding up an 8/10. 

Monday drops will be interesting to see, because if the weekday drops are huge, we don't even need to wait for KFP3 because local films and lack of showtimes might already put a limit to its box office potential.

19 minutes ago, quigquag33 said:

However there was one single-day Sunday opening that did better...

I know, and some Saturdays...

I just posted that at dom too, I really hate the IMHO misleading formulations

So much Disney spin here. Highest Saturday-Sunday opening ever? It's the only film to have ever opened on Saturday!

H

: 'Star Wars' Beats 'The Revenant' in U.S., Storms China With Record $53M Debut

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I know, and some Saturdays...

I just posted that at dom too, I really hate the IMHO misleading formulations

So much Disney spin here. Highest Saturday-Sunday opening ever? It's the only film to have ever opened on Saturday!

lol well I guess there's also that ha

• Like 1