A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

25 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

XXX franchise is more... lets say body orientated than other franchises.

He wont win recognition in GA in westerns countries for that, only for the part of the populations focused on that kind of films

E.g. me, older female from Europe, who does also like action wont watch XXX in general for that.

I might for other reasons, but wont find anyone here interested to see a film with story, that franchise is not known for... mindfulness. Not saying that SW is THE mindful franchise (is there even a mindful franchise?), but beside a few over-the-top internet or... reactions (out of those who seem to be against all), SW does have a reputation for being NOT being a mindless action film.

He made an impact in SW R1 for his acting, timing.... too. That will help him in the long run, but not being another (in cliché terms, not my opinion) Asian fighter-actor, see what can happen with XXX.

I hope for him that there will be scenes to show his acting... in XXX and that those scene will be used in the promos, that might help too, as a kind of built up on the foundation of SW R1 impression.

It can be the opposite, an actor only known for such kind of films (mindless action reputation) wont usually even get offered interesting or more generally respected roles.

That is, why I try to watch those films, where an actor tries to get away from typecasting and similar. I am living a bit too far away from a city, so I can not watch as much as I want to.

I guess I do not understand that kind of thinking (to not buy a ticket), but I am not expecting to understand all the different POVs of different cultures and backgrounds, still interesting to learn that. Please do not understand it that way, I tried to show up what the most usual reactions can be only to give a glimpse at another POV/typical reactions/..., not to judge your POV.

I only mean in China not worldwide. Jiejie, not every fan need to watch all their fav work esp if that work we don't feel comfortable with. 

48 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

I only mean in China not worldwide. Jiejie, not every fan need to watch all their fav work esp if that work we don't feel comfortable with. 

Never said so, only because you formulated concern ...

= it seemed stronger than average fan-dom as I know it here, as said, different cultures show different ways/styles in their fan-dom and other details, I am the one who learned / remembered not to compare automatically with here (I know if I think about it, but if someone does for the moment not think about it, then it can happen to interpret automatic to something typical for someone's own region) = definitive not a critique about/at you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

I hope it didn't come to that impression, I think he did already have an impact at the GA see here in Germany or US or... he was great! I tried to point out, that per country it can help an actor in general to get tickets... if trying out something ~ new / outside the type-casting.

About him being 'only' in an 'extra' story:

Disney did take in my POV a risk with the extra story idea, they said they want to try out new ways to approach the SW world. They seemed to be willing to take great expenses, extra effort... into this film, that includes in my POV the casting. 

The casting was at an early point a sign for people to realise they (SW) try to get in a way the best people possible, to me it is a a sign of confidence on the part of the creatives to give him this kind of lines... an average to even good action actor with less capability could have 'destroyed' without that timing... an important part of the film.

It is not a sign of 2nd class thinking that they picked the people they picked, I think it is the opposite.

They want to start stand alone film series in a huge world, that wont work, if the first one isnt done with an high effort, they (studio) seem to think in years to come.

Yeah I don't like to think of this as a side story. To ME, I was more excited for Rogue One than The Force Awakens because I felt the tone they were going for was something that had been unexplored in the Star Wars universe. And I'm glad they finally introduced Asians as more involved characters in this film and I was generally quite pleased with the lines and screen time that Donnie Yen got. It was more than I expected, even if it was still not quite as much as it could have been.  

• Like 3

On 2017/1/7 at 9:13 AM, TigerPaw said:

Where do you usually get your source? Tracking Maoyan every 30minutes to see that average of 3m grow is painful. =(

Maoyan publishes an application which updates box-office per minute. it just like the website version, bases on Maoyan's own mathematical model, in other words, those numbers are still not official. However, this is the most accurate source we can track right now. 

Let me show you a rough but useful way to track the numbers, you can double the median to estimate the number of that day. For a Hollywood film, its median is generally equal to the number on Maoyan at the following times,

Monday to Thursday: 16:00

Friday: 16:30 

Saturday: 15:30

Sunday: 15:00 

What's more, you should add a delay if a film doesn't have a strong fanbase but has an excellent WOM, for example, Hacksaw Ridge attracts more walk-in audiences than other films, thus you should get the median 15mins or 30mins later. On the contrary, if the film has a stronger pre-sales (especially in its opening day or on a holiday), or it's a cartoon movie hence it has a weaker evening performance such as Your Name, you should get the median earlier than usual.

For example, when I estimated the Friday number of Hacksaw Ridge, I got the median at 17:00 (the number at 16:30 is 2.03M), which is 2.19M, it's just about half of the official estimated value (4.50M). Of course, the estimated numbers cannot be absolutely accurate since there are so many facters can influence the box-office, but it's the most useful way to predict daily box-office I can share right now. 

Edited by nVIDIADriver
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, nVIDIADriver said:

Maoyan publishes an application which updates box-office per minute. it just like the website version, bases on Maoyan's own mathematical model, in other words, those numbers are still not official. However, this is the most accurate source we can track right now. 

Let me show you a rough but useful way to track the numbers, you can double the median to estimate the number of that day. For a Hollywood film, its median is generally equal to the number on Maoyan at the following times,

Monday to Thursday: 16:00

Friday: 16:30

Saturday: 15:00

Sunday: 14:30 

What's more, you should add a delay if a film doesn't have a strong fanbase but has an excellent WOM, for example, Hacksaw Ridge attracts more walk-in audiences than other films, thus you should get the median 15mins or 30mins later. On the contrary, if the film has a stronger pre-sales (especially in its opening day or on a holiday), or it's a cartoon movie hence it has a weaker evening performance such as Your Name, you should get the median earlier than usual.

For example, when I estimated the Friday number of Hacksaw Ridge, I got the median at 17:00 (the number at 16:30 is 2.03M), which is 2.19M, it's just about half of the official estimated value (4.50M). Of course, the estimated numbers cannot be absolutely accurate since there are so many facters can influence the box-office, but it's the most useful way to predict daily box-office I can share right now. 

Thanks a million! It really helps!

It is 2.30pm now on a Sunday, 27m yuan for R1 now, so i will expect 54m yuan for today.. Disappointing again. Anything above this will be a bonus. =(

4 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Thanks a million! It really helps!

It is 2.30pm now on a Sunday, 27m yuan for R1 now, so i will expect 54m yuan for today.. Disappointing again. Anything above this will be a bonus. =(

Looks like it will be way higher than 54.. Still not that good though

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Looks like it will be way higher than 54.. Still not that good though

I will be happy if it does anything above 65m yuan (I am comparing it to Star Trek haha,hoping t beats Star Trek).

But 65m yuan is.. almost impossible. =/

Edited by TigerPaw

27 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I will be happy if it does anything above 65m yuan (I am comparing it to Star Trek haha,hoping t beats Star Trek).

But 65m yuan is.. almost impossible. =/

65 mill is not going to happen atp. But around 60 mill +/-

SUNDAY ESTIMATES
Rogue One - ¥59.5M /212M(-27% drop ,very normal)
Some Like It Hot - ¥27.6M/366M
Railroad Tigers - ¥13.8M/602M
The Great Wall - ¥7.45M/¥1104M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥3.7M/¥392M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥2.4M/467M
Nerve - ¥2.48M/7.2M
The Snow Queen 2 - ¥1.35M/32.25M
Moana - ¥0.9M/222.5M

• Like 14

@TigerPaw

So when Donnie Yen/Jiang Wen fans say.. Why is my favourite star cast in a freaking outside story instead of main episode. Or a GA saying, why are Chinese Actors not in the main episodes?!

Episode VIII is screwed. Chinese audience apparently made fun of Rey and Finn as leads, didn't like them at all. I saw that on another forum. So Episode VIII has nothing going for it in China. No Chinese actors, but same leads the audience rejected first time around. Doubtful that lightsaber fights will be impressive to Chinese audience this time around either. As one article pointed out, TFA fights were like something out of a low-budget Chinese TV show. Yikes. :rofl:

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, chrisman0606 said:

How is WOM for Rogue One currently and in the coming weeks how will it's drops be like and how hard will they be?

General Audience WOM is not bad... slightly above average I would say.

But the issue is, Maoyan's rating. 7.9 on Maoyan. That is atrocious. Even bad movies like Railroad Tigers and Great Wall gets at least 8.3/10.
Maoyan is a very popular (if not the most popular) online ticketing website. So people will look at the score before buying tickets, so that does not bold well for R1's hold... + Passengers next week; even though the pre-sales are not looking good but showtimes for R1 will be cut by around 50%.

PS; I heard whispers from some insiders that Great Wall/Railroad Tigers and esp Some Like It Hot fans.. are purposely rating R1 as 1/10 pulling the average down. They want GA to watch the movies with their idols instead. Despicable.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@TigerPaw

Episode VIII is screwed. Chinese audience apparently made fun of Rey and Finn as leads, didn't like them at all. I saw that on another forum. So Episode VIII has nothing going for it in China. No Chinese actors, but same leads the audience rejected first time around. Doubtful that lightsaber fights will be impressive to Chinese audience this time around either. As one article pointed out, TFA fights were like something out of a low-budget Chinese TV show. Yikes. :rofl:

Finn especially. I like Daisey Ridely, but John Boyega is awful to watch. =.= You have no idea how many times during Force Awakens I hope he gets killed off instead of Han Solo. LOL =/

But as I mentioned at the Int Box Office chat ( Getting lazy, so I will paste it here).

It depends on numerous factors.

1) R1's WOM is better than TFA in China, so can it gain some fans for Ep8? 

2) How much effort/marketing budget is Disney going to put for this? Or is it giving up on China?

3) Will Carrie Fisher's death cause China movie-goers to support the movie? I mean many of them treat Paul Walker as their own after he is deceased, FF7 exploded at China's box office despite Paul Walker not being a big name there..but once he is deceased, all Chinese love him and watch the whole F&F series... Will this effect be the same for Carrie Fisher?

So... with all this in mind, Ep8 may still have a slight chance of doing well. It will do better than R1 IMO (exchange rate by then will be better too), but worse than TFA. TFA was the worst way to introduce Star Wars to the Chinese Audience IMO.

47 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Finn especially. I like Daisey Ridely, but John Boyega is awful to watch. =.= You have no idea how many times during Force Awakens I hope he gets killed off instead of Han Solo. LOL =/[/quote]

Yes! Finn was the worst. I'm glad that China has good taste and hated that character. Unfortunately, he's back so not a good omen for VIII.

But as I mentioned at the Int Box Office chat ( Getting lazy, so I will paste it here).

It depends on numerous factors.

1) R1's WOM is better than TFA in China, so can it gain some fans for Ep8? 

2) How much effort/marketing budget is Disney going to put for this? Or is it giving up on China?

3) Will Carrie Fisher's death cause China movie-goers to support the movie? I mean many of them treat Paul Walker as their own after he is deceased, FF7 exploded at China's box office despite Paul Walker not being a big name there..but once he is deceased, all Chinese love him and watch the whole F&F series... Will this effect be the same for Carrie Fisher?

So... with all this in mind, Ep8 may still have a slight chance of doing well. It will do better than R1 IMO (exchange rate by then will be better too), but worse than TFA. TFA was the worst way to introduce Star Wars to the Chinese Audience IMO.

Maybe R1 has better WOM cause there's no Finn? :rofl: After all, those movies have different casts so R1 WOM wouldn't really affect VIII if, lets say, WOM is better cause they like R1 characters more. And story.

• Like 1