A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

14 minutes ago, UserHN said:

We can't take the Maoyan rating with a pinch of salt. The thing is, the Chinese look at the Maoyan rating to see if a movie is worth wasting their money for. If they see a low rating there, then they won't go. So sad really. Lots of man-babies everywhere. But to be fair, Asia tends to be on the patriarchal side. Korea for sure is culturally and socially conservative. Even South Asia (India, Pakistan, etc) is like that.

Maybe you are right but is there any evidence for this? That’s like saying all americans look at RT audience score to decide whether to see a movie or not. I am sure there will be some people who will look at the rating and decide but I doubt it will be a huge number. 

Logically speaking, a rating/audience score (unless artificially manipulated) is indicative of WoM and reception not the cause of it.

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I know that generally Maoyan rating is a good indication of reception and legs but I would be cautious of using audience ratings with this movie. Many of you know that Douban is another website where you can check audience ratings. Like RT, Douban also allows comments on the movie before its release. Well I checked some of these comments and some of them were really hilarious and cringey. The following are some amongst the top 20 comments right now

- "I really feel that the woman is ugly"

- "The woman is slightly ugly"

And the gem of it all

- "Short and ugly with a supporting face! Even the ass did not even!""Can't go to the gym and practice your ass?" :rofl:

Some of the rest are about feminism and what I am assuming are references to womens rights organization in China. And some are on the body and looks of Brie Larson that I cannot decipher.

Point being take the Maoyan rating with a pinch of salt

Since India is looked up as new Marvel hub now, I saw many tweets while searching Captain Marvel tag, asking Indians to boycott CM as Brie disrespected India with her Basmati Blues film.

Let's see if we see similar thing in BookMyShow as well.

Also I remember, IW started with 8.6 in Maoyan and I was pissed seeing that, but recently I checked it went to 9.1 which is rare for films to go this up. So there was similar attempt, for some other reason there too.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how western think about Brie Larson's appearance, most Chinese on Internet don't appreciate her outside. Chinese male like hot, sexy women more. Hailee Steinfeld is one of the reason I didn't expect Bumblebee would do huge in here. People in here love woman like Megan Fox & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and a story focus on young girl can easily make boys feel bored. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Also I remember, IW started with 8.6 in Maoyan and I was pissed seeing that, but recently I checked it went to 9.1 which is rare for films to go this up. So there was similar attempt, for some other reason there too.

IW was review bombed on Maoyan, to a small extent, due to the ongoing tensions between China and USA on trade. Not surprised that its ratings improved over time

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I'm not sure how western think about Brie Larson's appearance, most Chinese on Internet don't appreciate her outside. Chinese male like hot, sexy women more. Hailee Steinfeld is one of the reason I didn't expect Bumblebee would do huge in here. People in here love woman like Megan Fox & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and a story focus on young girl can easily make boys feel bored. 

@WrathOfHan smh

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Could you confirm if our perception is true, that the Chinese look at Maoyan score before purchasing a ticket? If yes, then we can't really ignore the Maoyan rating even if it's review bombed.

Could it be that Maoyan is very important for not established movies / stories,... but a little bit less important for successful franchises, as some might not see the need to look up every new release beforehand, trusting in a way the reputation?

not trying to sound hyperbolic but if the reception to CM in China is as bad as people here are saying then expect the legs to be as ugly as BP (which was also released in the first week of March last year) and as we know bad WoM can start affecting the OW as well as we saw with FB2 (which was tracking for 40M+ debut and then only made 36M)

so with that in mind, Captain Marvel could be looking at 75M-80M  OW and a 118M-126M finish. I hope it can do much better than that but Chinese market is very unpredictable and movies that are not well received usually have no life at the box office.

and There goes Carol's chances of hitting a billion :sadno: 

• Disbelief 3

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

not trying to sound hyperbolic but if the reception to CM in China is as bad as people here are saying then expect the legs to be as ugly as BP (which was also released in the first week of March last year) and as we know bad WoM can start affecting the OW as well as we saw with FB2 (which was tracking for 40M+ debut and then only made 36M)

so with that in mind, Captain Marvel could be looking at 75M-80M  OW and a 118M-126M finish. I hope it can do much better than that but Chinese market is very unpredictable and movies that are not well received usually have no life at the box office.

Said that, even BP did $65mn after a $21mn opening day and here we are looking at $33.5mn OD. Shall go for $85mn atleast frankly speaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

nah this movie can hit a billion 400 dom and 600 overs is a good bet dont sound hyperbolic also word is that the word of mouth in china doesnt sound bad and it doest sound great either it sound average we will if that holds 

17 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Even if CM has the same PS to OW multiplier and overall legs as Black Panther, it still would end up doing around 170m total because its presales are just that damn strong. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

@ZeeSoh you got ticket? Do Marvel Pass work for 4DX? I haven't watched any film there, is it worth?

Yeah I got ticket through the Paytm Marvel Pass. As far as I know there is no restriction on the type of ticket u can book. I booked an IMAX ticket. 

Haven’t tried 4DX yet. Dont see the point of the gimmick and generally not interested in it. It will distract from the movie itself IMO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Very disappointing and disgusting. Is this purely because of Brie's comments, or is something else causing these men to feel so threatened by a female superhero? I don't remember the same level of nastiness for other female-led films in recent years. East Asia tends to be pretty patriarchal, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised by the backlash. 

She made some stupid comments against men which led to this, i never intended to watch CM anyways cause its not my taste but this really made me cringe.

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 5

6 minutes ago, Wotad said:

She made some stupid comments against men which led to this, i never intended to watch CM anyways cause its not my taste but this really made me cringe.

Reveal hidden contents

That's for A Wrinkle in Time, a movie directed by a black female director, starring mainly female persons of color. So how is CM connected to Brie's comments about A Wrinkle in Time? Anyway, don't answer me. I don't want to further engage in political discussions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UserHN said:

That's for A Wrinkle in Time, a movie directed by a black female director, starring mainly female persons of color. So how is CM connected to Brie's comments about A Wrinkle in Time? Anyway, don't answer me. I don't want to further engage in political discussions.

Spoiler

Dont reply if you dont want a reply back Brie is the one making the dumb comments hence the CM connection i thought that would be pretty obvious. 

A white Women talking bad about men is just hilarious. 

Edited by Wotad
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

22 minutes ago, Wotad said:

You're kind of proving her right but go off I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

Spoiler

Arrrghhh she does not speake against white males, she speaks for inclusion.

She asks for adding more.

What it was about (don't forget, its an ongoing discussion, it was an addition to things already said, and got later more added as well) was ~

we already know what the 40y-old white dude has to say (as they are always there and review anyway), she wants to know in especial this case what did not work for the ppl the movie was made for. And in general, for the 'normal' movies, she wants to know what an inclusive mix of critics has to say.

An example: someone makes a movie about teachers.

Some of the teachers happen to be also critics, or are critics who had worked earlier as teachers. She want to know from those teacher-critcs what did not work for them.

Is that really that difficult to understand?

Btw, in the US they took her words at heart, in the UK/IRL premiere the female and the PoC/other non-whites critics got - again - too often a 'sorry its full' beside 1. some of the accepted to view critics applied later or 2. viewed it a 2nd time already.

I added spoiler tags, its OT for China

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 6