A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

2 hours ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Totalitarian countries can do a shut down more easily.  Not an over reaction.  They realize how bad and fast it is

Yeah. That's good step taken by China. I guess totalitarian country aside, this is an impressive feat if they are able to contain disease under 100k cases. Considering the size of population, if say just 1% are affected, that will be over 14mn.

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

Yeah. That's good step taken by China. I guess totalitarian country aside, this is an impressive feat if they are able to contain disease under 100k cases. Considering the size of population, if say just 1% are affected, that will be over 14mn.

The problem is that there are still local flights out of wuhan and international flights departing from other cities.  The masses are staying home(no work or play) now but a few percent(thats all you need to spread) are roaming around the country and world.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

80k people died from the flu in the U.S. in the 2017-18 winter.  It was the highest death toll in 40 years. Nothing was shut down. 

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

Damn 80k is huge. For US with just odd 300mn population. The India's 35k number is just reported one, actual may be 100k plus easily. India barring 3-5 states is a shithole.(now you're quoting Trump😁)

80% of normal annual flu deaths are over 65 years old, the flu often causing pneumonia, then death. Typically the children count is less than 200 and as low as 10.  2018 was high

These specialty flues kill a much higher percentage of younger people, that's what makes it scary. The 1918 flu wreaked havoc on young healthy WW1 troops and children

Seniors die of all sorts of thing that wont kill a teenager, the flu is just one of them.  We gotta die of something sooner or later when we get old.

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

I just hope this doesn't spread to India. It will be total chaos. 

In Sri Lank and Nepal, its getting close.  The border is mostly open to Nepal. If it spreads there, it'll likely head down to India, We'll know in a few days if that "1" spread it

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 2

Really, guys, Disney’s Mulan is not the one I’m upset about potentially being affected by China’s outbreak. And, I have some hope this will get resolved in time for Black Widow’s day and date release with the US and China on May 1st, I’ll have patience with that. It’s really Sonic the Hedgehog, which is supposed to open in one month from today, that I’m nervous about.

You know how much we talk about Paramount’s struggles since 2012 and how much they need Sonic to be a hit after they redesigned Sonic himself for $5 million dollars.

Well, with this outbreak in China, the chances of Sonic being a sleeper hit are now up in the air.

My hope is that the tracking for Sonic to open around $45-$50M in it’s 4-day opening weekend in America pans out, if the audience doesn’t listen to the critics reviews and turns out for Sonic to support Paramount after they listened to the fans and fixed his model and actually like the movie more than critics, so they can help the movie make it’s $95M budget back in America and make $100M Plus domestic as well.

I’m not sure how big a deal Sonic is in China. So, my hope is that the other countries in the world that have Sonic fans will step up to the challenge to make Sonic break even or be a sleeper hit and support the movie where China cannot.

Also, I now plan to see Sonic three times over it’s opening weekend on Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday afternoon, maybe even a fourth time on President’s Day, if I’m lucky, because of this potential danger for Sonic’s financial prospects.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

The problem is that there are still local flights out of wuhan and international flights departing from other cities.  The masses are staying home(no work or play) now but a few percent(thats all you need to spread) are roaming around the country and world.

80% of normal annual flu deaths are over 65 years old, the flu often causing pneumonia, then death. Typically the children count is less than 200 and as low as 10.  2018 was high

These specialty flues kill a much higher percentage of younger people, that's what makes it scary. The 1918 flu wreaked havoc on young healthy WW1 troops and children

Seniors die of all sorts of thing that wont kill a teenager, the flu is just one of them.  We gotta die of something sooner or later when we get old.

In Sri Lank and Nepal, its getting close.  The border is mostly open to Nepal. If it spreads there, it'll likely head down to India, We'll know in a few days if that "1" spread it

Well, I hope those people on the remaining flights head straight to hospitals and stay contained there, before it’s too late, in the remaining countries and in Nepal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

The border is mostly open to Nepal. If it spreads there, it'll likely head down to India, We'll know in a few days if that "1" spread it

And Nepal has the border with two shittiest states of India. Uttar Pradesh & Bihar. They combined have population par USA with area I guess not even 1/30th.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

And Nepal has the border with two shittiest states of India. Uttar Pradesh & Bihar. They combined have population par USA with area I guess not even 1/30th.

I am really scared right now. Because if it spreads to India there is no coming back soon. 

It will atleast take a year to somewhat control it and that's a big if. 

3 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

Damn 80k is huge. For US with just odd 300mn population. The India's 35k number is just reported one, actual may be 100k plus easily. India barring 3-5 states is a shithole.

I do not see nothing special in that number. In fact, I think it is low. In Spain in the same 2017-18 period, 15,000 people died because of flu (47 million inhabitants), and nobody was alarmed. Having a very good health system, these numbers are considered normal. At the end people have to die because of something.

Applying the same proportion, the India's figure would be of 425,000 deaths per year because of flu.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peludo said:

I do not see nothing special in that number. In fact, I think it is low. In Spain in the same 2017-18 period, 15,000 people died because of flu (47 million inhabitants), and nobody was alarmed. Having a very good health system, these numbers are considered normal. At the end people have to die because of something.

Applying the same proportion, the India's figure would be of 425,000 deaths per year because of flu.

80k was by far the biggest number in 40 years, previous decades the range was 12-50k+. If most people were immunized the numbers would be far lower.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:19 PM, Madhuvan said:

I just hope this doesn't spread to India. It will be total chaos. 

Still clear in India.  they just announced suspension of China to India flights. but not until the 31st. 

It has started to spread.  There are 2 cases of 87 in other countries that did not originate from Chinese passengers.

I shall track that now

Corona Total Inf Count Daily Count Daily % Inc 2 day % Inc Foreign Infected Daily Count Daily % Inc 2 day % Inc Deaths % of Inf 3 days ago Healed
01/17/20 45                    
01/18/20 62 17 37.8%                
01/19/20 121 59 95.2% 168.9%              
01/20/20 198 77 63.6% 219.4%              
01/21/20 270 72 36.4% 123.1%              
01/22/20 420 150 55.6% 112.1%              
01/23/20 570 150 35.7% 111.1%              
01/24/20 800 230 40.4% 90.5%              
01/25/20 1300 500 62.5% 128.1%         41 9.8%  
01/26/20 2019 719 55.3% 152.4%         56 9.8%  
01/27/20 2794 775 38.4% 114.9% 44       80 10.0% 47
01/28/20 4474 1680 60.1% 121.6% 59 15 34.1%   107 8.2% 63
01/29/20 6057 1583 35.4% 116.8% 87 28 47.5% 97.7% 132 6.5% 110

02/20/20 100,000,000 Proj at current rate              

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2020 at 10:06 AM, TalismanRing said:

80k people died from the flu in the U.S. in the 2017-18 winter.  It was the highest death toll in 40 years. Nothing was shut down. 

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

Thing is death rate from flu is low

This can be much higher if it spreads widely as systems get overwhelmed.

1 minute ago, meridan said:

This might be a dumb question, but what happens if things aren't under control by the time Mulan, No Time to Die, Black Widow and other big release dates? Will these films just not have a China release? 

At this point I’d be pleasantly surprised if things were under control enough for theaters to reopen for Mulan.   

Anything that gets its initial date disrupted will be rescheduled, but the longer things last the more competition crunch that will generate in the rest of the year. Small HW releases could be cancelled altogether, I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, meridan said:

This might be a dumb question, but what happens if things aren't under control by the time Mulan, No Time to Die, Black Widow and other big release dates? Will these films just not have a China release? 

Then we get many Jokers in 2020

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

At this point I’d be pleasantly surprised if things were under control enough for theaters to reopen for Mulan.   

Anything that gets its initial date disrupted will be rescheduled, but the longer things last the more competition crunch that will generate in the rest of the year. Small HW releases could be cancelled altogether, I suppose.

yeah agreed, at the same time idk why some people think that china wont get to see these big movies at all though

Internal expectations are for the CBO to be down until March.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/chinas-film-industry-grinds-a-halt-coronavirus-epidemic-1274274

In 2019, Universal and Amblin Entertainment's Green Book (Alibaba distributed in China) set a box office record for a best picture winner in China, earning a huge $70 million during a release scheduled shortly after the Academy Awards ceremony. Eyeing that success, a slew of this year's U.S.-made awards titles are lined up for theatrical outings in China in February, when the country's de facto Lunar New Year blackout on imported film releases originally was scheduled to conclude...

Few in the Chinese industry believe that any of those engagements will still happen. "No one knows what is coming next, but we are operating under the assumption that all new releases scheduled for February will be canceled," the CEO of a Beijing-based company that holds the China release rights to an Oscar-nominated film tells The Hollywood Reporter.(The executive asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of commenting on issues related to the health crisis.) If such prestige titles are pushed too far outside the glow of the Oscars, their earnings potential in China could plunge precipitously, this executive adds.

Depending on how the epidemic progresses, studio tentpoles deeper into the calendar, such as Disney's live-action remake of Mulan, scheduled for release in China on March 27, and the April Bond pic No Time to Die, also could be bumped. Observers also believe that restarting China's release pipeline — whether it's weeks from now or months — will be far more challenging than shutting it down. With at least six major Chinese tentpoles in need of new dates, "There will be too many big movies competing for too few weekends," says a senior executive at another Chinese studio. Once the new round of release-date sweepstakes gets underway, U.S. movies can be expected to draw the short straw, analysts say — as per usual with regulatory matters in Beijing.

Anybody who thinks this cannot spread beyond China/Asia does not know a lot about biology.

I see the film "COntagion" is enjoying a new life. It's a 2011 film about the US being hit by a killer epidemic that started in China.Pretty scary stuff. But a very good movie that deserved a better reception then it got.