A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I think both of them will make 300m+.

That would be fucking awesome. :D FF7 would beat DH2 WW with that total and my streak would remain in tact, if TA2 approaches 300M. :D I can't even imagine what the ceiling is in BO for China, Potentially 1B grosser???? :blink:   

Avengers 2 is still more anticipated than FF7 same point pre-release, but it won't be a perfect storm like FF7.

True but with BO you never know. Things happen and we're left stunned and in disbelief. Who would have thought FF7's looking at 300M a month ago but it's going to get fairly close to it, if not it actually get past that number. I'm not saying same thing will happen with TA2 but I just think potential is there that it could.

We've 1 month to see what happens but currently I'm thinking 305M for FF7 and 255M for TA2. 

That would be fucking awesome. :D FF7 would beat DH2 WW with that total and my streak would remain in tact, if TA2 approaches 300M. :D I can't even imagine what the ceiling is in BO for China, Potentially 1B grosser???? :blink:   

Well Avatar did $760 million in the domestic market with a population almost 4 times inferior to China's so even taking into account ticket prices and the Chinese not being as big movie consumers as the Americans and the Canadians, $1b isn't that hard to imagine.

Edited by Cynosure

Well Avatar did $760 million in the domestic market with a population almost 4 times inferior to China's so even taking into account ticket prices and the Chinese not being as big movie consumers as the Americans and the Canadians, $1b isn't that hard to imagine.

Just a time matter. We could see next Transformers, Avengers, Furious or Avatar sequels making over 500, 600 or who knows how much... The current WW list will be absolutely ridiculized in few years just for this since China will gross alone what big blockbusters have grossed until now in whole OS countries. In fact we should start to talk about DOM+OS+China figures instead just DOM+OS.

• Like 2

Just a time matter. We could see next Transformers, Avengers, Furious or Avatar sequels making over 500, 600 or who knows how much... The current WW list will be absolutely ridiculized in few years just for this since China will gross alone what big blockbusters have grossed until now in whole OS countries. In fact we should start to talk about DOM+OS+China figures instead just DOM+OS.

Indeed. In 10 years I think only 'Avatar' and maybe 'Titanic' will still be in the top 10 in the WW list.

Top 10 Single Day gross in China

#1.Fast &Furious 7--------391.0M----------4.14.2015

#2.Trans4mers-------------222.9M----------6.28.2014

#3.Trans4mers-------------211.8M----------6.29.2014

#4.Trans4mers-------------194.8M----------6.27.2014

#5.Monkey King------------128.6M----------2.14.2014

#6.Journey to the West --125.6M----------1.31.2013

#7.Trans4mers-------------122.5M----------6.30.2014

#8.Iron Man 3--------------121.0M----------5.01.2013

#9.Hobbit 3 -----------------117.0M---------1.25.2015

10.Breakup Buddies--------115.3M---------10.1.2014

Edited by Johnny Storm
  • Like 1

What are multipliers typically like for China?

Not very good. OW to total is like 2.1-2.3 usually, can occasionally do much better than that though. (Age of Extinction is case in point)

Edited by treeroy