A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Does China not have a limit for number of movies releasing on the same day? You'd think they would impose some sort of limit considering they're desperate for another big film to hit it big since the Chinese market is in a slump. I still find it ridiculous that at least 5 major movies are premiering on CNY.

Wow that's quite a shocking development: A growth reaching only 3.7% in LC compared with 48% in 2015? And it even decreased in USD?? With 6.6B in China the US BO should be fine for a while given it's pretty far ahead with 11.4B.

Well, at least foreign films grew by 10% so it's fine, I hope for better things next year because I think this counterperformance was probably a blip, nothing more :)

TUESDAY ESTIMATES
Some Like It Hot - ¥25.5M/242M
Railroad Tigers - ¥15.4M/542M
The Great Wall - ¥10.1M/¥1064M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥5.5M/450M
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥3.3M/¥376M 
Snezhnaya koroleva 2- ¥0.6M/27.7M
BJ3 - ¥0.63M/¥3.35M 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Wow that's quite a shocking development: A growth reaching only 3.7% in LC compared with 48% in 2015? And it even decreased in USD?? With 6.6B in China the US BO should be fine for a while given it's pretty far ahead with 11.4B.

Well, at least foreign films grew by 10% so it's fine, I hope for better things next year because I think this counterperformance was probably a blip, nothing more :)

I think it ultimately depends on the Chinese economy. Movies are a luxury for any person, regardless of nation. So if the economy stagnates (as many economists argue concerning China), then you're going to see some issues with stagnation from time to time.

I am sure that we'll see high growth in a year or two, as long as the Chinese economy doesn't collapse.

WEDNESDAY ESTIMATES
Some Like It Hot - ¥23.2M/265M
Railroad Tigers - ¥11.4M/553M
The Great Wall - ¥9.2M/¥1074M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥4.7M/455M
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥3.15M/¥379M 
Snezhnaya koroleva 2- ¥0.5M/28.2M
BJ3 - ¥0.5M/¥3.85M

• Like 8

I know LEGO movie back in 2014 was banned in China for the political message in the movie. I really hope LEGO Batman movie will not suffer the same fate. It would be great for anyone to share the related news if he/she gets wind of if LEGO Batman movie will be released in China. THANKS !

11 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Guys, I have just seen the trailer for Wu Kong and wow, it blew me away!

I thought it was rubbish. The taiwanese accent for a Mainland Chinese Hero. Gosh.

Eddie Peng made Wong Fei Hung look like a teenage gangster in 2014, now he is ruining the Monkey King.

Edited by TigerPaw

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

There's actually a version of TGW up on YouTube, but I'd rather wait as what I've heard is that while the film itself isn't great, seeing it in a theatre is the way to go if you're going to see it at all.

I heard the opposite, my friends who watched it.. Told me they wasted money, and should have just waited 2 years for it to appear on TV here in Singapore.

THURSDAY ESTIMATES
Some Like It Hot - ¥22.2M/288M
Railroad Tigers - ¥10.9M/564M
The Great Wall - ¥9.6M/¥1084M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥4.7M/460M

Rogue One - ¥3.2M Midnights( FB made 2.5M in November)
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥3.2M/¥382M 
Snezhnaya koroleva 2- ¥0.55M/28.8M

• Like 13