A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

I think Titanic would have made some millions in China especially during this period (Valentine's Day). Don't forget that the 2012 release made $145M, so I think Chinese people love Titanic

Both Avatar and The Wandering Earth re-released a few months back and neither one managed to go above $1 million. Do you know the reason why? Lack of showings.

A Titanic re-release would have faced the same fate regardless of how much it made over 10 years ago. 

21 hours ago, Clear Sky Master said:

Both Avatar and The Wandering Earth re-released a few months back and neither one managed to go above $1 million. Do you know the reason why? Lack of showings.

A Titanic re-release would have faced the same fate regardless of how much it made over 10 years ago. 

Avatar re-release was in 2021 and made $57M

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Avatar re-release was in 2021 and made $57M

Avatar did another re-release in December 2022  and that was an absolute disappointment. It didn’t even go above $500,000. 

If you think China is going to roll out the red carpet for a Titanic re-release as they did for Avatar back in 2021 you are sadly mistaken. The re-release in 2021 was exceptional since China literally had nothing else to show in theatres due to zero Covid delays.

Edited by Clear Sky Master

5 minutes ago, Clear Sky Master said:

Avatar did another re-release in December 2022  and that was an absolute disappointment. It didn’t even go above $500,000. 

The re-release in 2021 was exceptional since China literally had nothing else to show in theatres due to zero Covid delays. 

Just how many time you need to be reminded December 2022 was the peak of Covid and nothing else matters that time? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clear Sky Master said:

Uhmm Avatar re-release flopping in Dec 2022 had nothing to do with Covid. It was primarily due to a lack of showings. 

I don't think you have the concept of what a "flop" is. Something cannot disappoint if it's not given the screens to do business to begin with. Go on though, you seem quite pleased with your narrative over there.

• Like 1

Yeah Marvel kinda have to start again. 3 years away it makes sense that audiences interest could be lower outside the Marvel fans. Still do 40-50M per movie  is better than what Phase 4 movies assuming movies like GotG and The Marvels gets a release here. Good days are probably beyond us

24 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Marvel just restart in China.

The “Guochao” movement in China is slowly suffocating what’s left of Hollywood and in time foreign movies will have a minimal presence in the mainland. So, even if Disney were to turn back there would be nothing to back to. It’s time to accept that Hollywood’s time in China is done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clear Sky Master said:

Uhmm Avatar re-release flopping in Dec 2022 had nothing to do with Covid. It was primarily due to a lack of showings. 

I would hardly call that a "re-release", it released in some theatres in anticipation and also alongside the sequel. 

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I don't think you have the concept of what a "flop" is. Something cannot disappoint if it's not given the screens to do business to begin with. Go on though, you seem quite pleased with your narrative over there.

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

I would hardly call that a "re-release", it released in some theatres in anticipation and also alongside the sequel. 

im not here to argue whether the Avatar 2022 China limited re-release was a flop or not. The point i was trying to make is that a Titanic re-release would have suffered a similar fate to Avatar 2022 re-release.

No point in Disney seeking approval for a 25 year old film that ain’t going to make any money for them due to China’s reluctance to give them meaningful showings. 

2 hours ago, Clear Sky Master said:

im not here to argue whether the Avatar 2022 China limited re-release was a flop or not. The point i was trying to make is that a Titanic re-release would have suffered a similar fate to Avatar 2022 re-release.

No point in Disney seeking approval for a 25 year old film that ain’t going to make any money for them due to China’s reluctance to give them meaningful showings. 

I didn't even know there was a re-release in December but in fact it was released at the same time as A2, it's not really a re-release as NCsoft said. The real re-release was in 2021 and if Disney really wants to re-release it can do it later and give a lot of screens like they did with Avatar, 2 years ago. And the Chinese love JC and his films so there is no doubt that he would have made millions or even tens of millions of dollars.

2 hours ago, LPLC said:

I didn't even know there was a re-release in December but in fact it was released at the same time as A2, it's not really a re-release as NCsoft said. The real re-release was in 2021 and if Disney really wants to re-release it can do it later and give a lot of screens like they did with Avatar, 2 years ago. And the Chinese love JC and his films so there is no doubt that he would have made millions or even tens of millions of dollars.

China is not giving Titanic a wide re-release within the next two years. Do you know how huge the backlog for movies awaiting release in China? It doesn’t matter how popular James Cameron is in China, his films are not getting any special treatment. 

Edited by Clear Sky Master