A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

This may be a bummer to TASM total overseas box office gross, but for Dark Knight Rises isn't doesn't matter, at this point! The film has already grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office and still growing week-to-week. TDKR now holds the title as the most successful Batman film ever! So, if the movie declines in China, it doesn't really matter. The film can't compete with Avengers, so fans have ultimately settled for second place (not a bad place to be standing). Of course, this is just my opinion.

TDK wasn't even released in China, so TDKR has nothing to decline from.

This may be a bummer to TASM total overseas box office gross, but for Dark Knight Rises isn't doesn't matter, at this point! The film has already grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office and still growing week-to-week. TDKR now holds the title as the most successful Batman film ever! So, if the movie declines in China, it doesn't really matter. The film can't compete with Avengers, so fans have ultimately settled for second place (not a bad place to be standing). Of course, this is just my opinion.

Welcome to the forums, but next time please don't use comic sans bold x_x

Damn, I never thought it would be like this mess, shit...Sorry, Fmpro, it seems that 50M is in jeopardy for TASM at the moment.Finally, TDKR+TASM = $100-110M (which is the total gross of Mission Impossible 4)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That rarely happens. It happened last Summer with a US movie, but I can't remember which one it was. If they didn't have a Mandarin version in Shenzhen, then they won't have a Mandarin version anywhere else.

All four of the recent Hollywood imports have Mandarin versions showing here (Qingdao) alongside the English ones. Only a couple of theaters have the Mandarin versions, so you'd have to go out of your way to see them. I don't know why they bother.

In an industry that's producing art, that's exactly what a 'sellout' means, btw.

This industry is for producing entertainment, on the basis of these products making their cost back. Always has been and always will be. Everything else comes after, including art.
  • Like 1

All four of the recent Hollywood imports have Mandarin versions showing here (Qingdao) alongside the English ones. Only a couple of theaters have the Mandarin versions, so you'd have to go out of your way to see them. I don't know why they bother.

I don't know why they do either. In the UK, we accept that foreign movies are foreign and therefore are only subtitled in English. I think Chinese accept that too for the most part.

I don't know why they do either. In the UK, we accept that foreign movies are foreign and therefore are only subtitled in English. I think Chinese accept that too for the most part.

Well, they do now, probably because of how young and urban the typical audience has become. That certainly wasn't always the case. Just five years ago it was almost impossible to find subtitled prints in this city. Go back far enough and the same was true even in Beijing and Shanghai. Supposedly dubbed versions are still popular in more rural areas, but I don't get out of the city much, so I can't attest to that. Edited by Bob Violence

Well in my home city, Zhengzhou, a top 15 city in box office in China, the usual case is half subtitled and half dubbed versions for big Hollywood movies. As for other non-Hollywood foreign movies, mostly are dubbed versions across the country as far as I know.

you mean half of the showings are subtitled and the rest are dubbed?not half of one movie is either