A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

28 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its not accelerating so far. still the run rate is slightly under 8m. I am bumping down saturday to around 125m. Also OD is showing 88.73m. @Olive do you know how many theaters have not yet reported? Does this mean actuals will be lower than 100m? 3-day weekend around 310-320m. That would be under $47m. I dont see it hit vol 1 number in USD for sure.

Thats just.... Horrible

15 minutes ago, Momo said:

@fmpro,is that $8-10m total run or just the OW for it. Also is that a firm projection or just your prediction as of right now? Sorry, I guess I'm looking for any thing positive. After PR and the way GOTG 2 now looking. I'm looking for any thing to hold my hat on. lmao

P.S. I'm still trying to figure out the maoyan live box results site. I thought I had the 3 day total of PR correct of 73m.. But if it 60m. I'm clearly using the site wrong. lmao

@keysersoze123,you might be right. If they did make another one,do you think a bigger name would actually help it. Like say if they cast someone of the Rock stature or so on.

P.S. Yes,I still think it possible. LG has a history of making sequels for movies that we wouldn't consider blockbusters. John Wick,Tyler Perry,etc.

8-10 mill $ in total BO when all is said and done. Thats my best guess atm

1 minute ago, fmpro said:

Thats just.... Horrible

That bugs me out even more. I expect PR bad numbers. But GOTG 2 to not be doing so great in China. Is shocking to me. China audience seems to be very fickle about what they like. I mean take Warcraft for example. In the US it bombed,but in China they loved it. lol

• Like 1

Just now, Momo said:

That bugs me out even more. I expect PR bad numbers. But GOTG 2 to not be doing so great in China. Is shocking to me. China audience seems to be very fickle about what they like. I mean take Warcraft for example. In the US it bombed,but in China they loved it. lol

Yeah. Same with RE6. 

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Warcraft has strong fan base and had crazy presales start. Week before release its presales was higher than what F8 achieved. Resident Evil also benefited from strong fan base. Based on PS there doesn't seem to be any fan base for Power Rangers.

Talking about GOTG 2 numbers. You must have misread what I said. As for PR in Asia at this point I would be surprised if it makes any money in Japan now and it was created there.

Edited by Momo

4 minutes ago, Momo said:

Talking about GOTG 2 numbers. You must have misread what I said. As for PR in Asia at this point I would be surprised if it makes any money in Japan now and it was created there.

Ghost in the Shell looks like it's barely going to make even $10 million in Japan, so I think it's very likely they will shun Power Rangers too.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its not accelerating so far. still the run rate is slightly under 8m. I am bumping down saturday to around 125m. Also OD is showing 88.73m. @Olive do you know how many theaters have not yet reported? Does this mean actuals will be lower than 100m? 3-day weekend around 310-320m. That would be under $47m. I dont see it hit vol 1 number in USD for sure.

Maoyan numbers didn't include ticket fees, the OD actuals are around 96M.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Dark Rock said:

Indian movies have disastrous results in China until Aamir Khan's recent run (even srk/salman movies flops there). Baahubali was not that huge but outside Aamir's movie that was the only move with average success in China.

Facts are facts. 7.47 Yuan is not "Striking Gold". It is more like picking up pieces of garbage from the pile. For all the boasting by the paid media regarding Baahubali, it was a certified disaster. 

3 hours ago, Momo said:

Its really weird. The 1st film had small opening but very good legs to finish with 600m yuan. Marvel is a known brand. I guess there is a limit to these movies. I dont know why a sequel could not even beat Dr Strange. May be cumberbatch is a bigger draw than guardians. May be @Olive or @Gavin Feng can tell us why its OW is so small. Its not even coming close to Maoyan predictions.

Anyway its slowing down now. Looking more like 120m sat and 90m sunday for around 310m ( ~ $45m

4 hours ago, KP1025 said:

A Dog's Purpose was a total surprise too. Didn't think it would surpass domestic gross.

A Dog's purpose's number in domestic term had been damped by those scandal about animal abuse, while it has hardly any effect here, still a movie, didn't feature any big blockbuster style element, the movie is a major win 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Momo said:

@fmpro,is that $8-10m total run or just the OW for it. Also is that a firm projection or just your prediction as of right now? Sorry, I guess I'm looking for any thing positive. After PR and the way GOTG 2 now looking. I'm looking for any thing to hold my hat on. lmao

P.S. I'm still trying to figure out the maoyan live box results site. I thought I had the 3 day total of PR correct of 73m.. But if it 60m. I'm clearly using the site wrong. lmao

@keysersoze123,you might be right. If they did make another one,do you think a bigger name would actually help it. Like say if they cast someone of the Rock stature or so on.

P.S. Yes,I still think it possible. LG has a history of making sequels for movies that we wouldn't consider blockbusters. John Wick,Tyler Perry,etc.

Talking about casting big names... especially Asian big names, it led me to think of the most consistent draw in Asia(not just China) for the last decade, someone who have big roles in both Hollywood and Asian films. And that is.. Rogue One/xXx/Ip Man's Donnie Yen.

I mean he visited Malaysia today, and everyone is tweeting about it..crowd was crazy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTv1VKqBaZi/

If Lionsgate were to just invest more, and pay Donnie Yen 10m USD (His reported pay is around 8m USD per film) and cast him as....

1) Red Ranger/Leader of PR

2) Villian that kicks every Power Rangers' as$

3) Some MMA teacher of the PRs.

or even if Lionsgate cut some cost and just hire Donnie for Cameo or Fight-Choreographer..

I am confident it will be doing so much better in Asia. Just look at how much xXx earned in Asia because of Donnie Yen's name alone...Not just in China, we are talking about whole of Asia here.

China alone we will be looking at..at least 60 - 80m USD in my opinion. Not the pathetic numbers we are seeing now.

Edited by TigerPaw

SAT estimates

before service charges

Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  122.3m / 217.4m

Dangal  -  28.1m / 42.4m

Shock Wave  -  17.4m / 314.3m
Fate of the Furious  -  11.9m / 2,485m
Battle of Memories  -  10.6m / 249.4m
Love off the cuff  -  7.15m / 177.4m
This Is Not What I Expected  -  5.92m / 148.9m

The Smurfs 3  -  5.53m / 144.5m

after service charges

Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  132m / 234.4m

Dangal  -  31m / 46.8m

Shock Wave  -  19m / 340.1m
Fate of the Furious  -  13m / 2,632m
Battle of Memories  -  11.6m / 263.4m
Love off the cuff  -  7.8m / 189.3m
This Is Not What I Expected  -  6.45m / 158.2m

The Smurfs 3  -  6m / 153.3m

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

SAT estimates

before service charges

Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  122.3m / 217.4m

Dangal  -  28.1m / 42.4m

Shock Wave  -  17.4m / 314.3m
Fate of the Furious  -  11.9m / 2,485m
Battle of Memories  -  10.6m / 249.4m
Love off the cuff  -  7.15m / 177.4m
This Is Not What I Expected  -  5.92m / 148.9m

The Smurfs 3  -  5.53m / 144.5m

after service charges

Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  132m / 234.4m

Dangal  -  31m / 46.8m

Shock Wave  -  19m / 340.1m
Fate of the Furious  -  13m / 2,632m
Battle of Memories  -  11.6m / 263.4m
Love off the cuff  -  7.8m / 189.3m
This Is Not What I Expected  -  6.45m / 158.2m

The Smurfs 3  -  6m / 153.3m

Wayyy higher than number on maoyan for GOTG2

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Talking about casting big names... especially Asian big names, it led me to think of the most consistent draw in Asia(not just China) for the last decade, someone who have big roles in both Hollywood and Asian films. And that is.. Rogue One/xXx/Ip Man's Donnie Yen.

I mean he visited Malaysia today, and everyone is tweeting about it..crowd was crazy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTv1VKqBaZi/

If Lionsgate were to just invest more, and pay Donnie Yen 10m USD (His reported pay is around 8m USD per film) and cast him as....

1) Red Ranger/Leader of PR

2) Villian that kicks every Power Rangers' as$

3) Some MMA teacher of the PRs.

or even if Lionsgate cut some cost and just hire Donnie for Cameo or Fight-Choreographer..

I am confident it will be doing so much better in Asia. Just look at how much xXx earned in Asia because of Donnie Yen's name alone...Not just in China, we are talking about whole of Asia here.

China alone we will be looking at..at least 60 - 80m USD in my opinion. Not the pathetic numbers we are seeing now.

Donnie Yen is truly popular here in malaysia, even the malay and indian here are impressed by him

• Like 1