A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

23 minutes ago, pepsa said:

@POTUS 2020 we will get about an 2.5 - 2.55 multi from 5.35m. Right between and MN and an OD so pretty good gues by us :)

Also ps's for tomorrow are severly lacking won't go over 5.5m by 3am. probably just over 5m (5.1m-5.3m). So even with 4 multi it barely clears 20m.  The good news is friday will 100% see a bump. (as in there will surly be an increase, ps are close to those of thursday with a day to go and a weekend evening).

Friday showtimes are down. Back to what @POTUS 2020 and I was saying. You premiere early, and then new openers take your show during the weekend; the worst thing here is that it had sneaks but did not deliver strong Word Of Mouth.

Might as well have kept its Friday release date..

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Friday showtimes are down. Back to what @POTUS 2020 and I was saying. You premiere early, and then new openers take your show during the weekend; the worst thing here is that it had sneaks but did not deliver strong Word Of Mouth.

Might as well have kept its Friday release date..

PS multi won't go down on friday compared to thursday and friday is outpacing the OD in ps's at the same point in time so thats why I am saying friday will increase.

• Like 1

Just now, pepsa said:

PS multi won't go down on friday compared to thursday and friday is outpacing the OD in ps's at the same point in time so thats why I am saying friday will increase.

Friday will definitely increase, night shows and late night shows will have better attendance. But showtimes wise, it is at like 16% now on Fri? It could have been 25%, with no score out so people will blindly go in and watch.

8 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Friday will definitely increase, night shows and late night shows will have better attendance. But showtimes wise, it is at like 16% now on Fri? It could have been 25%, with no score out so people will blindly go in and watch.

Well I am not saying thursday OD is better, and I never said that. Like who's arguing for a thursday release? Nobody on this forum.

In my post I just pointing out that firday will go up over thursday.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pepsa said:

Well I am not saying thursday OD is better, and I never said that. Like who's arguing for a thursday release? Nobody on this forum.

In my post I just pointing out that firday will go up over thursday.

I was not correcting you or anything. I like your updates and analysis. I was just adding to your point, not going against you..

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I was not correcting you or anything. I like your updated and analysis. I was just adding to your point, not going against you..

My bad, I took it the wrong way so my apoligies.

And yep wom will be a bigger nucence now. 

Edited by pepsa

21 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So less than $30M for Skywalker? That seems brutally bad considering how large the numbers are for other franchises in China. 

Well TLJ only made $42m so the drop will be less brutal than from TFA, SW isn't big here and also not well received.

Also it's not as bad as solo's $16m.

Edited by pepsa

31 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So less than $30M for Skywalker? That seems brutally bad considering how large the numbers are for other franchises in China. 

Star Wars is dead in China. So dead that this fact has become a meme.   

I was expecting it closer to Solo than TLJ in % and the midpoint there is about $26M. If it beats that it will have pleasantly impressed me (though I doubt it will).

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Well TLJ only made $42m so the drop will be less brutal than from TFA, SW isn't big here and also not well received.

Also it's not as bad as solo's $16m.

Relatively speaking, if it struggles to get to $20M then that is pretty much just as bad as Solo at $16M. One is a spin-off, while the other is meant to be a mega tentpole. 

29 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Relatively speaking, if it struggles to get to $20M then that is pretty much just as bad as Solo at $16M. One is a spin-off, while the other is meant to be a mega tentpole. 

I mean that's not necessarily how it works. The series has been on a steady decline in China. TLJ made less than Rogue One (which was also a spin-off). SW just doesnt really vibe with Chinese tastes, we have always known that. In a way its a success just to reverse the downward trend

These films just arent mega tentpoles in China, so the marketing doesnt quite work that way as it does in the US. The "finale" /"episode" bump will only work if the film really is an event, it just isnt an event in China

Edited by Justin4125