A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

so

whats the highest legs a somewhat succesful movie has ever gotten in the chinese market?

The Best OD Multiple of 2022 is Universal's "The Bad Guys" with ¥2.463M ending with ¥335.232M i.e. 136.107186358x Multiple

Note that "The Bad Guys" didn't have any previews shows

22 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

so

whats the highest legs a somewhat succesful movie has ever gotten in the chinese market?

11 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

The Best OD Multiple of 2022 is Universal's "The Bad Guys" with ¥2.463M ending with ¥335.232M i.e. 136.107186358x Multiple

Note that "The Bad Guys" didn't have any previews shows

Ehh I wouldn't use that as an example even though it's technically accurate. 

What would be the best legs of any movie with a $50M+ USD opening? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Toruk Makto XXR said:

Ehh I wouldn't use that as an example even though it's technically accurate. 

What would be the best legs of any movie with a $50M+ USD opening? 

one way or the other, we're going to find a record to claim

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

13 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Think stakes are a bit higher than cinema industry atm lol. Cool to see though. Goes to show the CCP does not really speak for all of China.

a bit higher?

a fucking lightyear higher

It’s effect my country’s future

Edited by Bruce

Moderation: I understand the need to discuss current political events affecting a lot of people but a box office thread is not the place to do so. I have said this before as well, if you guys need to discuss politics or events in China then anyone is free to create an appropriate thread to do so. You can discuss politics, law and events here but only as it relates to or if it effects movies/box office/theatres. 

Also we will not tolerate any covid misinformation.

@The GOAT and @Mr Roark are threadbanned for 1 day. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

As someone who lived in Shanghai during 1989 and saw the massive protests with my own eyes and the aftermath, yes unfortunately I think the people will lose. 

Yep. For an intrinsic, systemic change you would need half the population or more to be onboard. What's happening in China right now is big, but is it even 1% of the populace? I'd guess not. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Moderation: I understand the need to discuss current political events affecting a lot of people but a box office thread is not the place to do so. I have said this before as well, if you guys need to discuss politics or events in China then anyone is free to create an appropriate thread to do so. You can discuss politics, law and events here but only as it relates to or if it effects movies/box office/theatres. 

Also we will not tolerate any covid misinformation.

@The GOAT and @Mr Roark are threadbanned for 1 day. 

I don’t think it has nothing to do with box office,actually we already started to talk how these revolution effect box office and Avatar 2 yesterday,this revolution win or lost even decide the destiny of China movies market

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Toruk Makto XXR said:

Yep. For an intrinsic, systemic change you would need half the population or more to be onboard. What's happening in China right now is big, but is it even 1% of the populace? I'd guess not. 

It's not even that only a small percentage of people are protesting. Any protests are seen as threat to the regime. The wider spread and the longer the protests continue, the more likely this ends in widespread draconian crackdown and another massacre. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well speaking about the China film market I think there might be 2 scenarios, either they loosen the restriction to ease people's minds (of course I don't expect those got banned because of somethings somethings that are related to Tibet can get unban, that is simply not possible), let some tentpole films in (like some of Marvel films got banned for random reasons such as NWH), OR they become more strict moving forward with foreign films as a "punishment" for the protests. I think it's 50-50 and both scenarios are highly possible

Edited by honeycookiez
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, honeycookiez said:

Well speaking about the China film market I think there might be 2 scenarios, either they loosen the restriction to ease people's minds (of course I don't expect those got banned because of somethings somethings that are related to Tibet can get unban, that is simply not possible), let some tentpole films in (like some of Marvel films got banned for random reasons such as NWH), OR they become more strict moving forward with foreign films as a "punishment" for the protests. I think it's 50-50 and both scenarios are highly possible

That sound like A2 could well be position as a distraction for public but I don't know how they are going to "distract" people with just 42% cinema opening right now. 

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

That sound like A2 could well be position as a distraction for public but I don't know how they are going to "distract" people with just 42% cinema opening right now. 

42% as for today and number of open cinemas are only decreasing daily.