Walt Disney

Vote: Top 25 Film Scores of all-time

It's time to select your top 25 Original Film Scores of all-time. Voting is simple: either PM me your list or you can reply to this thread . Your number 1 choice will get 25 points, number 2 will get 24, and so on. Voting will end Wednesday night December 5 at 11:59 PM.Any film that has had a U.S. release in the movie theater (even a limited release) is eligible. However, the score must be an original score. Also, the movie must have been released before December 1, 2012. Once all the votes are calculated, we will vote to break any ties, then the list will be revealed.You can vote for up to 25 scores. Please rank them in order from best to worst. You only need to list the movie when voting. I will search for the composers of the top 25 original film scores.You do not need to vote for 25 film scores (but you are welcome to rank your top 25). If you don't have time, just vote for your top 5 or top 10. Every vote will help in determining the final list.

Edited by Walt Disney

Where do you stand on the merging of scores from one film to the next eg: James Bond,can we vote for a franchise and just say James Bond? Or is it Dr No we are voting for in this situation?What about a situation like say MI where they have one memorable prexisting theme (that in all likelyhood would be the reason to vote for it, but the rest could be original)Finally where do you stand on things such as Titanic and Robin Hood POT where the score and the main song are kind of intertwined and thus people may be voting for Celine or Bryan but they called also be voting for the underlying theme that at a particular point happens to have lyrics.

Edited by chasmmi

Where do you stand on the merging of scores from one film to the next eg: James Bond,can we vote for a franchise and just say James Bond? Or is it Dr No we are voting for in this situation?What about a situation like say MI where they have one memorable prexisting theme (that in all likelyhood would be the reason to vote for it, but the rest could be original)Finally where do you stand on things such as Titanic and Robin Hood POT where the score and the main song are kind of intertwined and thus people may be voting for Celine or Bryan but they called also be voting for the underlying theme that at a particular point happens to have lyrics.

Great questions. To answer your first question, you'd be voting for Dr. No for the iconic James Bond theme (but if you just said James Bond, I'd know that you mean Dr. No). Always vote for the movie where the theme originated from first.As for adaptions from TV series, they would be ineligible. The famous MI theme isn't really original, so it wouldn't be allowed.As to your last question, you're really voting for the theme music throughout the movie. This isn't a vote on individual songs. I can't prove that someone who voted for say Titanic was just voting based on the Celine song, so I'd obviously allow the vote. But, if someone voted for the Celine song instead of Titanic, then that vote wouldn't count.With Robin Hood POT, that movie has an epic score. Especially the opening. It's one of those famous musical compositions that you see all over the place like 2001: A Space Odyssey, so I am not worried that anyone would vote for that movie just based on the Bryan Adams song.

It's one of those famous musical compositions that you see all over the place like 2001: A Space Odyssey, so I am not worried that anyone would vote for that movie just based on the Bryan Adams song.

I hope you stay vigilant in ensuring that only original scores get in. Because 2001 was almost entirely pre-existing classical music (I know you were making a different point but still, need to be careful). Edited by 4815162342

I hope you stay vigilant in ensuring that only original scores get in. Because 2001 was almost entirely pre-existing classical music (I know you were making a different point but still, need to be careful).

I'm going to try to stay pretty strict with the original score qualifications. However, I can say that The Godfather is eligible to be voted on. I know that it was disqualified from the Academy Awards b/c some of it was written for something else, but I am going to allow it.I'm also going to allow Broadway adaptions as long as the same composer did the Broadway Show and the movie (ex. WestSide Story) because it is essentially original. However, I'm not going to allow adaptions on pre-existing scores.Edit: I just wanted to be clear that 2001: A Space Odyssey is not eligible to be voted on. It is disqualified for the reason that 4815162342 stated. Edited by Walt Disney

What if you want to vote for From Russia With Love's score and not Dr. No?

If someone votes for that, then I'll have to decide. I mostly believe everyone will just vote for the classic James Bond theme, so that'll just be a vote for Dr. No. If people vote for the From Russia With Love score, then I'll compare it to Dr. No and make a determination.I do vivdly remember Goldfinger and that's too similar to Dr. No to be allowed, so it is ineligible.

In case anyone is confused about what an Original Score is or needs to see some examples, here is what the Academy Awards has done with this category throughout the years:http://en.wikipedia...._Original_ScoreAnd here is another list of famous original scores:http://en.wikipedia...._of_Film_ScoresEdit: Just because something made the Academy list doesn't mean it is eligible to be on my list. The Academy has bent standards at times, and I am going to try hard to stick to completely Original Scores.

Edited by Walt Disney

If someone votes for that, then I'll have to decide. I mostly believe everyone will just vote for the classic James Bond theme, so that'll just be a vote for Dr. No. If people vote for the From Russia With Love score, then I'll compare it to Dr. No and make a determination.I do vivdly remember Goldfinger and that's too similar to Dr. No to be allowed, so it is ineligible.

Is this about themes or scores?

Is this about themes or scores?

Scores. But, if I say theme instead of score, it makes it easier for people to think about it. They might not know the entire Star Wars score that John Williams composed, but they do know the main theme music.For most franchises, they use the same score or an adaption of the original score in the sequels. And that's what I am trying to avoid having people vote on. Which is why I say Goldfinger wouldn't be allowed. Edited by Walt Disney

The score is different in the Bond films, it wasn't reused that much. Not to mention it wasn't even the same guy, Monty Norman did Dr. No and John Barry did From Russia With Love for example. That said, Barry did do a lot of them (the majority IIRC) but they're all different.

• Like 1

The score is different in the Bond films, it wasn't reused that much. Not to mention it wasn't even the same guy, Monty Norman did Dr. No and John Barry did From Russia With Love for example. That said, Barry did do a lot of them (the majority IIRC) but they're all different.

If people vote for the different Bond movies, then I will have to look up each movie to see if they're different. If they're different, then they're allowed to be voted on. You're right in that the score is more than just the main theme music.

Goldfinger is different from Dr. No, so it can be voted on. I am even including it on my list, which shows that Lab's argument has won me over.

Edited by Walt Disney

What about Star Wars and LOTR, are multiple films eligible there? There are some core themes reused, but most of those scores are original and stand on their own. They were deemed eligible for Oscar noms, too - John Williams was nominated for TESB after winning for ANH, Howard Shore won for FOTR and ROTK, plus Nino Rota also won for Godfather II. Not saying it's your obligation to do what the Academy did, but what are your conditions there?

Edited by Jake Gittes

How about Star Wars and LOTR, are multiple films eligible there?

They should be. The score for each Star Wars film is markedly different, even if a handful of motifs recur in each film. Same with LOTR.Edit: Another example is with Star Trek movies. The score for Star Trek II doesn't re-use a single motif from the first Star Trek movie at all. The only pre-existing music used in the film is a small snippet of the TV show's theme at the beginning of the opening credits and at the very end of the film before the end credits. Edited by 4815162342

Hmmm....this is going to be tough.

Tough yes in the sense of having to choose only 25. My top 10 though will be easy to make, it's just a matter of differentiating between #11 and beyond #25. I already know my #1 without a doubt:For Your Consideration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIEUPudUDk

Edited by 4815162342