21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Space Jam is a ridiculous pile of crap. I caught it on VH1 and watched the whole thing again fully acknowledging that it was a ridiculous pile of crap. And I enjoyed the hell out of taking in how ridiculous and crappy it was. The most ridiculous things I remember about the 90s all rolled into one. Stuff like that very Pulp Fiction joke in the last post. It's gloriously stupid in the same way as the original Power Rangers movie, or the Joel Schumacher Batman movies. Yes, I am "nostalgic" for it - in a "sit back and laugh at the fact that I genuinely enjoyed this as a kid" kind of way.

Edited by TServo2049

Yall are being too hard on it. Remember who the target audience was. I was only 3 when it came out so of course I loved it, but it's stuck with me throughout the years. Still makes me laugh and the characters still appeal. I'd rather watch this then something prestigious and pretentious like American Hustle or Argo or Dallas Buyers again rn. Yes they're better movies, but they don't entertain like SJ does. More like educate. Movies are supposed to entertain, and Space Jam does. And it's Looney Tunes, if you expected it to be some highly thoughtout movie, then well, sorry. But hey, it's all opinions. Just to me theres a difference between bad movies and movies that werent well made. Theres movies that werent really well made, but are still fun: this, Volcano, Transformers, Twister, Hangover 2, etc. And there are movies that are bad with no redeeming qualities like Alice, Bucky Larson, Jack and Jill, Vampire Academy, etc. Space Jam is not well made, but it makes me laugh, keeps my attention, doesn't bore, well animated, great soundtrack, and is a fresh idea. I see grades here all the time for certain movies, and I feel like you guys get pretty harsh because said movie wasn't artsy fartsy. It made you laugh, made you cry, made you pee from the jump scenes, but you still give it C's and D's and F's because "the writing wasn't sharp, and the pacing was off, and so and so didn't give an Oscar performance, and the flying car looked too fake, blah, blah." If it entertains, it entertains. And stop being so hard up on small things, especially CGI. Yall get bent up on the how the CGI looks sooo much, I don't get it. So what it looks a little fake...even if it looks real, it's still fake. Just sayin. That's why Space Jam is an A in my book. I don't care what the RT score is or Metacritic or "how stupid it was when MJ's arm stretched 20 feet to shoot the basketball", it's Looney Tunes, and I expect nothing less, and it did what is was supposed to do, and is severly rewatchable to me. Movies are a luxury, not a chore.

• Like 2

Yall are being too hard on it. Remember who the target audience was. I was only 3 when it came out so of course I loved it, but it's stuck with me throughout the years. Still makes me laugh and the characters still appeal. I'd rather watch this then something prestigious and pretentious like American Hustle or Argo or Dallas Buyers again rn. Yes they're better movies, but they don't entertain like SJ does. More like educate. Movies are supposed to entertain, and Space Jam does. And it's Looney Tunes, if you expected it to be some highly thoughtout movie, then well, sorry. But hey, it's all opinions. Just to me theres a difference between bad movies and movies that werent well made. Theres movies that werent really well made, but are still fun: this, Volcano, Transformers, Twister, Hangover 2, etc. And there are movies that are bad with no redeeming qualities like Alice, Bucky Larson, Jack and Jill, Vampire Academy, etc. Space Jam is not well made, but it makes me laugh, keeps my attention, doesn't bore, well animated, great soundtrack, and is a fresh idea. I see grades here all the time for certain movies, and I feel like you guys get pretty harsh because said movie wasn't artsy fartsy. It made you laugh, made you cry, made you pee from the jump scenes, but you still give it C's and D's and F's because "the writing wasn't sharp, and the pacing was off, and so and so didn't give an Oscar performance, and the flying car looked too fake, blah, blah." If it entertains, it entertains. And stop being so hard up on small things, especially CGI. Yall get bent up on the how the CGI looks sooo much, I don't get it. So what it looks a little fake...even if it looks real, it's still fake. Just sayin. That's why Space Jam is an A in my book. I don't care what the RT score is or Metacritic or "how stupid it was when MJ's arm stretched 20 feet to shoot the basketball", it's Looney Tunes, and I expect nothing less, and it did what is was supposed to do, and is severly rewatchable to me. Movies are a luxury, not a chore.

I don't hate SPACE JAM because it's not artsy-fartsy. I mean, c'mon, do you seriously think I look at every single movie I've ever seen in that light? I hate it because it's not entertaining. It's not even good Looney Tunes -- it's Looney Tunes through a soulless corporate sheen. It's the very definition of something that you're supposed to like simply because of the personalities associated with it, regardless of actual content or execution of that content. It's lazy, it's boring. It's not fun.

• Like 2

I don't hate SPACE JAM because it's not artsy-fartsy. I mean, c'mon, do you seriously think I look at every single movie I've ever seen in that light? I hate it because it's not entertaining. It's not even good Looney Tunes -- it's Looney Tunes through a soulless corporate sheen. It's the very definition of something that you're supposed to like simply because of the personalities associated with it, regardless of actual content or execution of that content. It's lazy, it's boring. It's not fun.

I was speaking in general context/replying to T-Servo, and I was referring to more than just Space Jam. Matter of fact, the few posters that did come to mind haven't even posted in this topic. And you can call everything corporate now-a-days, especially from Disney. I love Spongebob, but I know the only reason Paramount is making a 2nd is because they want to start their own animation division, and Spongebob was the easiest and most well-known property they could exploit. Not because the character deserves another go-around for this new generation. I'm still going to see it anyway because I love the character and he's stuck with me for 15 years. Movies, TV, music, news, all media to me is corporate. None of these artists want to sing what they do, but they have too or get dropped by the label, but I still listen to the songs. And these channels keep pumping out the same, recycled reality crap because it's cheap, easy, and people fall for it. I hate how TV has gotten, but I still catch myself checking out an episode of Jersey Shore every now and then. I don't only like SJ because it has MJ, matter of fact back then I watched more LT than NBA. I saw Back in Action as well, just because it was Looney Tunes, I didn't care about Brendan Fraser or Jenny Elfman (where did she go?), and I'm still waiting on that long promised CG Looney Tunes feature. Same with Scooby Doo. I just see off the property. If Warner does make Space Jam 2 just because they can capitalize off Lebron, I'll still likely see it anyway. I don't care about the politics necessarily, even if it is soulless. It's all soulless too me, especially the music industry. I didn't say thats how you see movies, that's how I see movies. I do judge for their content, but also entertainment value. It's boring to you, but thats where opinion comes in. It's okay if you don't like it, you have valid reasons, even if I don't agree, but there are others that knock certain movies for reasons quite headscratching.
  • Like 1

Jandrew - I think you somewhat misinterpreted what I said. I don't hate the movie (there was a period when I did, believe me). I WAS the target audience for this movie in 1996. I was a big Looney Tunes fan. I saw it in the theater, I got the McDonald's toys, I bought the hardcover making-of book, I bought the VHS the day it came out.

My point is that when I watch it now, I realize how ridiculous it all is, I realize it's a movie that was basically created by marketing executives, but I cannot bring myself to harbor the pure contempt for it that Tele does. I don't enjoy it in the sincere way you do, but I don't despise it either. I approach it the same way I do something like The Wizard, or the Power Rangers movie.

• Like 1

You're right that this was basically a film made for corporate interests, but a lot of people found value in such a film.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/space-jam-1996

Such a dumb but entertaining movie. I recognize it for the corporate drivel it is, but I can't help but get ironic enjoyment out of the movie.

That said, fuck Lola. She's a dumb character that's only been decent in one form of Looney Tunes, and it's not this movie at all.

C+

• Like 1

Holy shit I never thought Space Jam could have such day-and-night-difference receptions on this site. There're some calling it extremely entertaining and some others seeing it as complete dogshit.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

On 16 oktober 2016 at 3:04 AM, vc2002 said:

Holy shit I never thought Space Jam could have such day-and-night-difference receptions on this site. There're some calling it extremely entertaining and some others seeing it as complete dogshit.

Maybe they don't like it....because it was one of those another Non-Disney film at the time, that critics would not be kind to.

Probably it was a common thing in the 90's....the Disney-films earned pretty positive reviews, while several Non-Disney films don't.

And i don't really get the hate of several Non-Disney Movies from 90's and the 2000's, that critics gave them wherever they're mixed or negative. And it's not just Space Jam......but also other Non-Disney animated films like Quest for Camelot, Swan Princess, Road to El Dorado, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Pippi Longstocking, etc.

What else did i forget?.....Oh, yes....We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story & The Pagemaster. Those are Non-Disney.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1