The Stingray

Top-10 Best Picture Oscar travesties.

Don't know how anyone could think Silence of the Lambs didn't deserve BP. There's a reason it's one of only 3 films to take the big 5 Oscars. It was just perfect in every department. Even more amazing is that it actually came our before the previous year's Oscar ceremony and voters still remembered it. That doesn't happen often.On the other hand, Crash definitely shouldn't have won anything, much less BP. And Oliver! winning in 1968 (when 2001 wasn't even nominate) was a disgrace.

• Like 1

Of the ones not mentioned, Chicago over The Pianist, Ordinary People over Raging Bull AND The Elephant Man, An American in Paris over A Streetcar Named Desire.

I agree that A Beautiful Mind didn't deserve to win, and even while Mulholland Dr. hadn't been nominated, they could have had a worthy winner in either FOTR or Moulin Rouge.

All About Eve completely deserved to win, in my opinion, a much bigger travesty was Gloria Swanson losing Best Actress. I've recently watched Sunset Blvd for the second time, and while the film itself didn't grow on me (it's quite good, but not a masterpiece), I appreciated her performance more and thought she was better than even Bette Davis.

The two biggest snubs in my mind are Dances over Goodfellas and TKS over The Social Network (that last one made me want to never watch the Oscars again when it happened right before my eyes. I didn't watch it this year and I'm no longer really emotionally invested in it, no matter how much I argue about the nominees and winners).

Is it because you think The King's Speech is overrated, or because Social Network is so much better?

PS: I have not seen The King's Speech. Not my kind of movie.

I dunno. Both? I think The Social Network is a masterpiece (and I don't throw that word around) and The King's Speech is a good film with three great performances in it (by Firth, Rush and Guy Pearce). I don't think there was anything in it to warrant a "Best Picture" award from anyone, it's much more slight, bland, predictable and forgettable than not only TSN, but several other contenders from that year. But hey, it's feel good and inspiring, so they decided to stop their great 4-year run of awarding more risky and ambitious material than usual (from Departed to Hurt Locker) and go back to safe and conventional. Anyway, I need to stop, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here.Speaking of unconventional, I'm not the biggest fan of Silence of the Lambs and I don't know if it's the best film of that year for me, but simply awarding 5 major Oscars to a serial killer thriller was one of the most inspired, unbiased decisions the Academy ever made. A shame that Se7en didn't follow in its footsteps, it deserved a lot more nominations than editing (Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Supporting Actor (Spacey) and Cinematography, at least).

I wouldn't say Seven was better than Silence of the Lambs, but it's definitely more influential. Every single serial killer film since Seven (and some non-serial killer films) has followed its visual style (natural lighting, focus on grisly bodies) soundtrack (apparently serial killers only listen to NiN or similar artists) and plot structure (I'm looking at you, Saw). It's up there with The Matrix in terms of its impact on the genre. It definitely deserved at least a nom, but the Academy probably found it more uncomfortable to watch than the more traditional SotL.

I feel that the Academy has done a terrible job with this category for the most part. However, Forrest Gump is one of my 4 favorite movies of all-time (4 way tie, I can't decide between them) so I absolutely feel it deserved its award. It's just a brilliant movie. And you know I must feel strongly about that since I am choosing it over Disney owned Miramax's Pulp Fiction.

Also, I feel that Silence of the Lambs is a great movie. It perfectly blends horror with drama. Plus, I have a B.A. in history, so I can't support an Oliver Stone movie, since his historical movies are not historically accurate. I do not support the re-writing of history.

I do feel there are some bad choices out there. Here are my top 10. These are the 10 I would change if I could only change 10.

1. Annie Hall over Star Wars

Star Wars is a revolutionary film. This is one of those movies that changed everything. It is almost impossible to get this one wrong. The influence of Star Wars was felt as it was happening. Eveeryone knew what they were experiencing. But the nerds in the Academy had to vote for a goofy Woody Allen movie so they could show how much more they know about movies than the mainstream audience. Truly an embarassing result. This is the number one travesty I can think of when it comes to Best Picture voting. Nothing makes less sense than this result.

2. Out of Africa over Back to the Future

Talk about a miss. Not only was Back to the Future snubbed, but it didn't even get nominated. To make it worse, a boring movie that no one cares about called Out of Africa wins. The mainstream audience showed that Back to the Future was a wonderfully entertaining movie with a great concept. The storytelling, Score, and acting are all superb. This was a movie that should have won. Instead, it lost to an absolute turd. This Academy Award screams do-over.

3. Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas

Goodfellas is a clasic mobster movie. It is so good that it is scary. Diniro and Pesci are perfect mobsters and are doing what they do best. Ray Liotta is wonderful as a wiseguy who rises to success and then sees it all fall apart. It's one of those movies that helps to define its genre. So it loses to a snorefest called Dances with Wolves, so that the Academy can show how out of touch they are.

4. My Fair Lady over Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins is this classic musical. Julie Andrews in her breakout role. The songs are timeless. The film is still referenced to this day. Mary Poppins has held up as the box office champion. There is no way that it should have lost that year.

5. Titanic over L.A. Confidential

So we have this movie with an all-star cast. It's wonderfully acted. It's a great period piece. It has a deep and wonderful script. The direction is superb. Everything that the Academy seems to go wild over. So of course it loses to a love story that takes place on a ship that you know will sink.

6. Mrs. Miniver over Pride of the Yankees

Has anyone even heard of Mrs. Miniver? Does anyone even care? Meanwhile, the Lou Gehrig story is a classic baseball story with a wonderful Gary Cooper performance. Clearly a better choice and a movie that has had a more long lasting effect.

7. How Green was My Valley over Sgt. York

Sgt. York is one of these great old time war movies. It's truly a classic. How Green was my Valley is a movie that most have never heard of. Even Citizen Kane or the Maltese Falcon would have been better choices. But if you ask me, Sgt. York should have been the one to dethrone How Green is my Valley.

8. Around the World in 80 Days over The Ten Commandments

This is Charlton Heston in his career defining performance. I know that Around the World was popular, but nothing should have been able to stop The Ten Commandments that year.

9. Crash over Munich

Munich was just a very entertaining thriller with a great concept. Spielberg once again flexed his muscles. Daniel Craig showed what he could do in a serious role. Just a great movie. This should have been an easy choice. Yet it loses to a movie like Crash, which just is not in Munich's league.

10. Braveheart over The Usual Suspects

The Usual Suspects is this enthralling thriller. It is a great movie that slowly builds and all the little pieces pay off in the ending. The ending is a true surprise and makes the whole movie even better on second viewing. It should have won this year, but wasn't even nominated.

However, I could see an argument for Apollo 13. Tom Hanks should have been the winner for best actor. It was masterfully directed. The score was wonderful. Although I think the Usual Suspects is clearly better, Apollo 13 winning would not be a travesty.

A movie where Mel Gibson wears a dress winning is a travesty. Braveheart is one of those over-rated movies where you just don't get it. People tell you why it's great and you feel like you weren't watching the same movie.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

Though I feel SPR is definitely better than Shakespeare in Love, it losing wasn't a travesty because I thought SiL was actually pretty good and certainly entertaining.Now Tom Hanks, Edward Norton, Ian McKellen, and Nick Nolte losing to Roberto Begnini in the Best Actor race that year. THAT was a travesty.

• Like 3

1. Elephant Man loosing Ordinary People2. Kramer Vs. Kramer winning.3. 2007 Oscar's no Zodiac, Gone Baby Gone, and Into the Wold. How did There Will Be Blood not win Best Picture?4. The Artist winning best picture.

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1

1. Elephant Man loosing Ordinary People2. Kramer Vs. Kramer winning.3. 2007 Oscar's no Zodiac, Gone Baby Gone, and Into the Wold. How did There Will Be Blood not win Best Picture?4. The Artist winning best picture.

This. All of this.

I vehemently disagree with all of that except for TWBB not winning.