iceroll

Lincoln OS Thread, not Flopping that hard 66.5m

I don't understand how it can be a flop. The subject matter is very US intensive and not every film can be Forrest Gump. It's doing well for the film it is.

Forrest Gump, Gone With The Wind, Pearl Harbour, Independence Day, National Treasure Book Of Secrets,.. there are american-centric movies with international success.

Forrest Gump, Gone With The Wind, Pearl Harbour, Independence Day, National Treasure Book Of Secrets,.. there are american-centric movies with international success.

LOL no, because they appeal to much wider audiences. For example, Independence Day is a blockbuster film that can be enjoyed by all ages and genders. Women watch Pearl Harbour because of the romance and men because of the action. It's appealing to many demographics, and Gone With The Wind is a timeless epic. I hardly doubt children or families would watch Lincoln in the cinema. Totally different.

LOL no, because they appeal to much wider audiences. For example, Independence Day is a blockbuster film that can be enjoyed by all ages and genders. Women watch Pearl Harbour because of the romance and men because of the action. It's appealing to many demographics, and Gone With The Wind is a timeless epic. I hardly doubt children or families would watch Lincoln in the cinema. Totally different.

I think we can agree that an Ammerican-centric movie needs something additionally to be an international success.If a movie is in a genre that is very America specific (like The Blind Side: Football), it has a hard time selling abroad. International audiences also did not buy the story either, so OS only 1/5th of DOM.American history in itself is also not interesting enough, but combine it with a romance or an interesting character (Pocahontas), it can work.

I think we can agree that an Ammerican-centric movie needs something additionally to be an international success.If a movie is in a genre that is very America specific (like The Blind Side: Football), it has a hard time selling abroad. International audiences also did not buy the story either, so OS only 1/5th of DOM.American history in itself is also not interesting enough, but combine it with a romance or an interesting character (Pocahontas), it can work.

Agree.

I would like to see a comparative international study asking higher educated teens simple questions about

a) American Civil War

B) Meijii Restoration

c) 1848 European revolution

d) Taiping rebellion

e)  sepoy mutiny

How would the different education systems perform?

Edited by Rudolf

WTF is going on with the title?Before its release, I was expecting something like 80M DOM/70M OS. Domestically it did more than double of what I expected so it was a smash hit domestically. Overseas, the gap may not be as much, but as long as it does over 70m, it is still a success to me.Calling Lincoln a flop overseas would be like calling Life of Pi a flop domestically just because 'it couldn't even make 25% of its OS gross domestically'. :P

WTF is going on with the title?Before its release, I was expecting something like 80M DOM/70M OS. Domestically it did more than double of what I expected so it was a smash hit domestically. Overseas, the gap may not be as much, but as long as it does over 70m, it is still a success to me.Calling Lincoln a flop overseas would be like calling Life of Pi a flop domestically just because 'it couldn't even make 25% of its OS gross domestically'. :P

I  disagree.

A typical blockbuster makes about DOM:OS =  38:62 . If the ratio deviates strongly from that, it over- and underperforms accordingly. (Flop would be too drastic sometimes). 

A high DOM BO normally helps to sell a movie internationally. It does work not the other way.

Edited by Rudolf

I don't see why being about an American president would limit Lincoln's appeal.  The King's Speech was about a British Monarch and did well in the US and OS. And if you want to treat Lincoln as a political movie, Fahrenheit 9/11 did roughly the same DOM and OS. The fact that Lincoln will make twice as much DOM as OS is kind of disappointing on behalf of the OS countries. 

• Like 1